We are now partnering with Black Knight Games for this event

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: We are now partnering with Black Knight Games for this event

Post by Bone2pick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:46 am

miniwargaming wrote:I see your point, but no-mans land is still only 12" wide, so you can deploy really close to your opponent.

As for reserves, just keep in mind what you said and plan your reserves accordingly. Obviously it would be better to keep things that can deep strike in reserves rather than a foot-slogging unit.
Completely agree here. It’s the players responsibility to alter their tactics and deployment according to the structure and mission of the hosted game. The players will have months to plan and organize their army. Mechanize your infantry, forward deploy slower moving units, try to only keep deepstriking units in reserve.

To make the most of your deployment I would suggest practicing deploying on a short table side before the game. Do a staged runthrough of your army and see just how far and fast you can move your units across the board. Don’t get caught unprepared.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm

miniwargaming wrote:I see your point, but no-mans land is still only 12" wide, so you can deploy really close to your opponent.
wouldent no-mans land be 24" wide? there would be two 2'x4' deployments, leaving 2' for no mans land? i cant apocalypse battles where you have titans 1 foot from enemy lines, like a hierophant that can assault you 1st turn, makes no sence, i think a 2 foot no mans land would make sence, and have rules where of the 3 objectives all three of them must be in no mans land, this way gun line armys like IG and Tau cant just sit back and camp on objectives, and close combat armies like orks and nids can throw objectives in their enemies base and then rush them while holding objectives and killing 2 birds with 1 stone... i think this would make the game most fun and stratigic, you need to get into no mans land take and hold an objective at all costs, also this way people wont be getting objectives turn one of their enemys just for throwing one in the corner and sitting on it with a titan for the whole game...

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Apocalypse rules for deployment are usually "draw a line. You cannot deploy within 6" of that line." So you can get to your opponent first turn with the right kind of troops. I am saddened by the straight down the middle deployment, but it is no big deal. The weird diagonal deployment is just something that I've always thought was nifty in apoc. No big deal though.

That said, I do like the idea of having the objectives in No Man's Land, but they would have to be way to close to each other if all of them were in that small space. My assumption is that MWG will set up the objectives. Hopefully they will be closer to the middle of the board rather than one in the middle and one at each far end. Either way, I'm sure it will be balanced.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:30 pm

The objectives should come with real-world prizing :D

e.g. your army has occupied an objective in no-man's land during the oppositions turn so you gain 1 point.

And written on the side of that objective you see:

Turn 1: no prize
Turn 2: 1 reaper paint
Turn 3: 2 reaper paints
Turn 4: Reaper triad of colours
Turn 5: You win the actual objective (just trying to help with cleanup)

If an objective is contested in turns 2 - 5 - no prizes

Just a thought.
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 pm

My following concern is one that I believe is somewhat focused on my army, but here goes...

With the 6" deep tables, that essentially forces armies with little DS options, little long range, and no fast vehicles to deploy almost right at the line.

As a sister's of battle army, I have one unit that can deepstrike (Seraphim), one tank with a range over 36" (Exorcist), and nothing that can move faster than a foot a turn. As a result, I would be essentially forced to go right to the line, and for-go the use of all reserves (save Seraphim, and possible Exorcist tanks), meaning the large bulk of my force would deployed upon the start of the game. Given first turn, this is hardly a concern. Given second turn, it denies many options for approaching the game.

While I am completely in favour of seeing massive swathes of units blasted from the table in broad strokes, that favour is directly linked the notion that tactical opportunities are still presented. In this case, the use of reserves.

For this particular instance, I admit I am using the extreme situation, and am not suggesting altering the set up for the sake of a single player (because I realize many people are fortunate enough to be using updated books, with only the necrons being in the same boat as sisters). I bring this forth simply to have it in the back of the minds of the fine folks that will be laying down terrain, and thinking about ensuring there are suitable lanes of fire, as well as hiding spots for those who are using more dated armies.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm

All of that will definitely be kept in mind, although it is impossible to have an Apocalypse game that is truly balanced for everybody.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 am

dont worry ageis, ill make sure your on my side, as long as your within 3 tables of either side of me i promise you the following support whenever you vox me for it:

- 3 earthshaker emplacements
- 2 marauder bommer runs
- 2 mantacores
- 1 collosus
- and some other top secret ordance

its fun times when you have my armour supporting you and not potshoting you ;)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 pm

jae4x4 wrote:dont worry ageis, ill make sure your on my side, as long as your within 3 tables of either side of me i promise you the following support whenever you vox me for it:

- 3 earthshaker emplacements
- 2 marauder bommer runs
- 2 mantacores
- 1 collosus
- and some other top secret ordance

its fun times when you have my armour supporting you and not potshoting you ;)
Truth be told, I am tempted to switch to pure GK's, and leave the sister behind for this match. With the current listing of armies, I am unsure if sisters will scale well.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

I am saddened that you are thinking of ditching the sisters for GK's and their shiney new codex. : (

blahman212
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by blahman212 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 am

Laughterofgods wrote:I am saddened that you are thinking of ditching the sisters for GK's and their shiney new codex. : (
Wouldn't it be a good Apocalypse test for Aegis/Greyknights/Aegis using new GK in a Apocalypse?
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 am

Well, right now I am still doing a combined list. Last year, my sisters performed admirably against a horde of orks, almost tabling them (save for Snikrot and his band, and an armless Can...).

The mentality I have for this match is to represent the inquisition as a whole (I may even have a unit of Deathwatch from the old Chapter Approved rules). But, for now, the Sisters of the Drowned Lady are still making an appearance... Might even attempt to alpha strike a titan or Gargantuan creature with my Exorcists...

irishorks
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by irishorks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:49 pm

So now there are more people but still inside the same time limit?
1 stompa, 1 klawstompa, 2 big mek stompas, 1 pulsa, 1 blasta bommer
8k of orks
1k of gray knights

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Maybe Necrons will be out in time for the event! (Fingers Crossed)

Dragon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Dragon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Vache Glace wrote:Maybe Necrons will be out in time for the event! (Fingers Crossed)
2015 apoc game more likely
2015 Stats: W-6,L-2,T-1

Overall Stats:W-28,L-7,T-4

Not bad for skirt wearing marines! :P

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Cool as long as theres some towers and stuff my my boom fexes and hive guards to camp out in im all cool beans or cool tyranid eggs either or
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75