2011 Final Dates - Friday, Aug 19th - Saturday, Aug 20th

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
agelmann
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: 2011 Final Dates - Friday, Aug 19th - Saturday, Aug 20th

Post by agelmann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Ok, can I just register as "badies" for 8k and see what life looks like as we get closer?

I ask because I am feeling incredibly limited with my orks for this game as I run 180minis in a 2k game alone. I had been talking with a friend of mine about attempting to get some fight-bombas together or something, but I really don't think that Orks are going to be enjoyable for me in this format. (so very jelous of the bugs unending swarm at the moment)

I have my chaos army as a stand by, the problem is that i tend to run my pre0heresy Thousand Sons as Blood angels (gotta love a psychic dread) rather than as actual chaos marines. Just things I have to sort though I guess.

Also, it states in the Apoc rulebook that Chaos can take imperial formations, can I take a defense lazer?

thanks!

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

miniwargaming wrote:Only a single codex list is allowed, with the exception of the Imperium, which can mix Imperial Guard in (but not multiple Space Marine chapters).
if space marines can take imperial guard super heavys, can imperial guard take space marine drednaughts?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

You don't have to confirm right away what you are bringing, so yes, you can register without knowing at the moment.

However, the last 2 slots were just filled, so the registration is closed for now (until we get some cancellations, or until we get a bigger hall).

agelmann
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by agelmann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I was one of the last 2 :mrgreen:

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:26 pm

I was chatting with my buddy today, and he mentioned something that I thought may be prudent to bring up. There are an awful lot of of superheavies hitting the table. Now, as far as the spectacle goes, that is just going to look awesome. However, the obvious balance issue comes up (which has been brought up prior to this), but not so much in if one side (Imperium) has them all and the other side (Xenos) has next to none.

Mind you, I am not talking about formations. Just wanted to be clear there.

Anyway, the concern that was brought forth is this: How many is too many? This is not to say one side will have more than the other, or the MWG guys will not balance it as best they can, but rather, at point will the superheavies just dominate the game, tabling the majority of infantry and non-superheavies? After all, the feeling has already been expressed that it would be rather crummy to unpack your army, deploy, get second turn, and have a cadre of titans/baneblades/doomsday devices force you to remove a large portion in the first turn of firing.

Anyway, just something I thought I would throw out there. Rather address it now, than a week before the game.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

That sounds right, except for two fatal errors:

1. The super-heavies get targeted early and die quickly.

and

2. There is so much stuff on the board that even when they unleash their awesome powers of destruction, they can only hit so much, leaving more alive than you would expect.

Perhaps it would be a better approach for everybody to come to the game expecting to see their armies obliterated. You can have a lot of fun removing your miniatures because of a huge explosion.

In fact I enjoy it most when I see my Tyranids getting blown to smithereens, as I know there are many more to fill their slots when they die, so it is even fun to see them die.

If you come to an Apocalypse game hoping to see your army perform awesomely and come away with barely a scratch, you will be very disappointed.

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:46 pm

I agree with both of the last two posts. A lot of your stuff is going to die no matter what and the big things can in many cases get dropped from rather surprising sources. I had a lone killa Kan do two structure points to a revenant titan when the revenent charge my kan. Apparently the titan pilot had never learned about caltrops or d4's left on the floor. Similarly, that guardsman from your battle last year did like 5 structure points worth of damage.

All of that said, I do think at a certain point it becomes not so fun for your opponent. I have already posted that I was planning on playing with a Stompa and 4 Super Heavy Tanks. That is a lot of super heavies, though only about 2k points worth since the Ork ones tend to be 350-400 points. For me, I am thinking of taking that many for two reasons. First, you don't want to be left out of the super heavy race. If you don't have anything big for your opponent to shoot at, your little stuff is going to suffer. Second, with a very sensible limit of 200 models to keep the game going, a serious green tide isn't an option, which leaves me with going in transports and that leads me to using super heavies because those 5" & 7" D weapons will mulch a normal battlewagon, or sometimes even two of them in a single shot. Anyways, currently I actually only have the Stompa and 2 Super Heavies, but this game gives me a reason to spend some more time building two new ones and will force me to paint them, which has always been my weakness where building stuff is concerned. If I need to change out what I am playing just let me know. Now that I have signed up and commited I would much rather approach this with an attitude of what can I do to help, rather than who's life can I make difficult.

Dragon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Dragon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm

All I want out of is my terminators to take out a super heavy. I have 2 stompas and a Skullhammer. I want to take out a baneblade or a Titan.
2015 Stats: W-6,L-2,T-1

Overall Stats:W-28,L-7,T-4

Not bad for skirt wearing marines! :P

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Please do not mistake me for being squeamish about models dying. I fully expect my forces to die gruesome and horrible deaths. I guess the real concern I was bringing forth was that what happens if the balance is skewed in a manner that ends up with a player be stuck up against a person with a superheavy (or a couple of them), with not reasonable ways to handle it.

Also, mind you, I fully intend on having at least one Baneblade, and possibly a Shadowsword for this match, so it is not a matter of superheavy envy on my part. I simply wanted to bring forth the concern, just to have it out there. Precautionary, more than anything else.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

SpaceMarine242
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Location: floating in the command tank of my Warmonger Titan firing mah lazorz

Post by SpaceMarine242 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 am

Hi, that may be a problem, but in MY opinion, I don't think people like me with 22 models in 8k and almost all superheavies are going to go for a player with no superheavies. It'd be like sending randolphs 2 warlords vs all gaunts and on the table beside him there were all superheavies. As well though, I don't remember where but there was talking about letting the teams decide what table who deploys on. Thanks
Do not take heed, for we are the Space Marines, the Emperor's chosen, we shall not falter as we know NO FEAR!
Imperial (guard Blood Angels Marines) 10,000

MWG Apocalypse regular by the looks of it...

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 am

SpaceMarine242 wrote:Hi, that may be a problem, but in MY opinion, I don't think people like me with 22 models in 8k and almost all superheavies are going to go for a player with no superheavies. It'd be like sending randolphs 2 warlords vs all gaunts and on the table beside him there were all superheavies. As well though, I don't remember where but there was talking about letting the teams decide what table who deploys on. Thanks
I really like that idea, allowing the superheavy owners to disperse a bit more, thus providing assistance where the teams thinks it is needed. Sadly, though, it seems like it would be an organizational nightmare.

agelmann
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by agelmann » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 am

It would be cool to have that be part of the before game bidding. That way the team that deploys second gets a counter balance to the team 1's first turn destruction.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 am

agelmann wrote:It would be cool to have that be part of the before game bidding. That way the team that deploys second gets a counter balance to the team 1's first turn destruction.
Maybe the second team, although they get nuked, can deploy across from whoever they want. I.e. they pick more favourable matchups whereas the first team has to deploy on certain tables. This would be a good balance of power.

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 pm

The let the 2nd deploy side choose the match ups seems tempting, but that seems like a recipe for disaster. I would, however, be okay with letting the guys running the thing decide, or to have some sort of mutual pact of deployment.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi,
I will be attending and was wondering can family come and watch? Also will we be able to select a Strategic asset or no? Thanks. Oh, also about this whole superheavy problem I'm not worring about it, as gauss weapons atomatically glance on a six. Just come, and have fun.

-Sean
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."