2011 Final Dates - Friday, Aug 19th - Saturday, Aug 20th

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
KBelleau
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 2011 Final Dates - Friday, Aug 19th - Saturday, Aug 20th

Post by KBelleau » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I would love to take on a DeathWing army... just for the honor of killing them all... ;)

Dragon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Dragon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

KBelleau wrote:I would love to take on a DeathWing army... just for the honor of killing them all... ;)

You did already! Tournament in 2009. You arrived late
2015 Stats: W-6,L-2,T-1

Overall Stats:W-28,L-7,T-4

Not bad for skirt wearing marines! :P

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Noooooo!!! Dragon you were supposed to be my wingman and keep my Titans alive

- besides that, it will be amazing to see all of your painted Termies on one table.

You shall not - bail!!! The imperium is counting on you.
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Kymmerus
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the terminators. Sure they could prove nasty in large numbers but so far MWG has done a stand-up job of balancing the sides and their big games overall through creative scenarios and the like (Remember that big building on team Evil's side was in and of itself a randomized firing Warlord titan for example) I ended up getting annihilated to the bug myself and then was suitably occupied with firing its weapons late game! I lost my whole force and still had a blast (pun perhaps intended).

I'm confident that things will be acceptably balanced come game time regardless of whatever people bring to the fight (I'm not expecting it'll come down to pure Imperium versus Xenos either) consider they've had the experience of last year's big game to take into account.

Overall I've never seen one of their big games be anything but close and I think I've managed to play in practically every one.

Though perhaps all the 'oomie' talk above didn't make much sense so let me attempt to bridge the Xenos divide and elaborate:
Bring da boyz to da WAAAAGH yous weedy gitz! It only be right proppa ta giv em a taste ov orky bootlevva and show em ow its done!

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 pm

To clarify a little more, I'm not trying to ruin anyone else's fun. I am simply worried that the game is going to end up being exactly the opposite. An associate of mine played in an Apocalypse tourney a while back where one of the guys took an Imperator Titan as his entire force and the replacements asset as his one asset choice. Yeah, because that is a reasonable thing to do to your opponent </sarcasm>. I know players are not picking strategic assets in this game so that is just an example.

As far as the terminators goes, the idea of terminators does not worry me. In fact, 50 or even 100 terminators with the typical power fists and storm bolters that most terminators are supposed to be armed with according to the fluff does not worry me in an Apocalypse game. However, 50 or 100 terminators with the Storm Shield/wound allocation nonsense that is going around these days does. I played against an army of 20 termies doing just that in a tournament over the weekend. It wasn't fun to play against, but at least the game was over after an hour. Overall my fear is that things like the wound allocation shenanigans and the imperator resurrection will be the norm across the board for entire armies.

As a more concrete example of what I am worried about my most recent apocalypse game was against a good friend of mine who took an apoc. formation that gave him the asset allowing him to bring his reserves on during the first turn and another one that gave him flank march. He then bid five minutes of deployment time and of course went first. His 8 D templates proceeded to violate my super heavies while the rest of his army knocked out almost every tranport I had all before I had even taken a turn. He isn't a bad person. He just never got past the stage where his brain went "oh my god, that combo would be so cool" to think about if doing that would be reasonable and what chance his opponent would have in response.

Everything above is of course a negative decribing what I don't want. So I guess what I do want to see is a variety of stuff on the table and armies that are chosen with everyone having a good time in mind instead of going for a crazy-cool-awesome-combo that is sure to leave your opponent in ruins. *cue suitably apocalyptic explosions and intense graphics* None of this is to say that there aren't going to be winners and losers. In fact, I particularly like the way objectives were handled in your game last year to determine winners and losers and it is one of the big reasons I want to come out for your game this year and why I had already started planning out how I was going to scratch-build a new super heavy.

That is my two cents at least.

SpaceMarine242
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Location: floating in the command tank of my Warmonger Titan firing mah lazorz

Post by SpaceMarine242 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi, not to just say a really unaplicable (or semi applicable) seeing as you probably put a lot of thought into your post, but as far as the Imperator/resurrection goes. There's only news of one Emperor Titan coming, and that's IF I finish it and theres no imperial formation that can give me renforcements (I think thats what it's called). So if your coming theres no risk of a cheap emperor combo, unless of course one of the last four people to register have one. Thanks
Do not take heed, for we are the Space Marines, the Emperor's chosen, we shall not falter as we know NO FEAR!
Imperial (guard Blood Angels Marines) 10,000

MWG Apocalypse regular by the looks of it...

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 pm

I do appreciate the no Imperator with Replacements asset combo. Especially as I would be forced to Dreadsock whomever did it, and then you would probably ask me to leave.

As someone who has thought about scratch buildling a Great Gargant I completely understand how much time and love goes into making such a thing and I understand that what you really want is to show off this crazy thing that you have built in your garage. Let me also say that I appreciate the post by the mods saying that they are going to try and balance things out maybe with some traitor imperium players and that the titans might be evenly distributed on both sides. A lot of you folks seem to be really great and reasonable. I'm not certain about my buddy, but I think I am at least going to buy my ticket this week.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Laughterofgods wrote:I do appreciate the no Imperator with Replacements asset combo. Especially as I would be forced to Dreadsock whomever did it, and then you would probably ask me to leave.
Use a vintage landraider in the sock. A heavier wad of metal.

Basically, we all want to see everyone come out have fun. One of the big advantages to the way the guys at MWG set up the game last year was that is discouraged beardy shenanigans like you described. Assets were only available if the formation we took allowed them, and because the tables were side by side, moving on the flanks was modified, and frankly ended up being less broken.

Not to mention that both orks on the table had a good time (I hope anyway, eve though I barbecued Paul's pretty effectively... Then his damn armless, immobilized Mega dread glued my canoness in combat... I digress.), and that was with some heavy fire raining down on them.

Hopefully you and your friend (and you, Dragon) all still come out, because it was an absolute blast last year.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

SpaceMarine242
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Location: floating in the command tank of my Warmonger Titan firing mah lazorz

Post by SpaceMarine242 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm

It will, as well I might see another person from my club (for a total of 4) coming with a hawk and a battle company I think. Anyway, the more people, the more apoc blast templates, eh?
Do not take heed, for we are the Space Marines, the Emperor's chosen, we shall not falter as we know NO FEAR!
Imperial (guard Blood Angels Marines) 10,000

MWG Apocalypse regular by the looks of it...

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:02 pm

It sounds like the positive responses have swayed my buddy too. He is still waiting on his registration code so he asked me to post a question for him about army selection. He wants to run a combination of Chaos and Orks. It sounds like he has some sort of Orkemedies kind of thing in mind with a bunch of the really weird ork inventions like the Mine Layer and the Pulsa Rokkit, but he wants to have the Mek in his head be an evil genius and make a doomsday machine, which is a chaos formation, that, in all honesty, is rather underwhelming. I think this is part of the Ork air force with that Mek making those inventions too along with some Stormboyz of Khorne like in the Rogue Trader Freebooterz book. I don't have a lot of specifics as far as what is going through that man's head, but he paints beautifully and he is awesome with green stuff and converting, so what more can I ask of him? Anyways, he sent me a message asking me to inquire about running orks with Chaos and so I am doing so. I will poke him to be a lot more specific and to sort out his registration for this forum in the morning.

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm

I will be still coming. I will be Randolph's wingman if we are on the same side. However my goal is to have all 16,000 (Roy is the other 8000) will be fully painted!
2015 Stats: W-6,L-2,T-1

Overall Stats:W-28,L-7,T-4

Not bad for skirt wearing marines! :P

agelmann
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by agelmann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:32 am

Can I bring an Ork/Chaos list or do you want only single codex? Thanks!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 am

Only a single codex list is allowed, with the exception of the Imperium, which can mix Imperial Guard in (but not multiple Space Marine chapters).

agelmann
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by agelmann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Can Chaos take traitor guard?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Nope.