Apocalypticon Has Been Cancelled

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Codyroo
Silver Vault Member

Re: Apocalypticon Has Been Cancelled

Post by Codyroo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 pm

@Aegis - I was thinking something similar. That first 80,000 point Apocalypticon was a fun one to watch and since it was held at Miniwargaming, it kept costs down as well as a feel that you are in the middle of the action (except for the folks at the table edges). Logistically, it would probably be a whole lot simpler, I would imagine.

It would have been fun to see MWG hit their target 1,000,000 point game with painted models, but truth be told, I liked the smaller games better. Maybe it is nostalgia, seeing young Owen, Dan without epic beard, Kris right around the time he started working at MWG.
I Krump! I Waaagh! I Krump Again!

ColinClare
Silver Vault Member

Post by ColinClare » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Would you mind discussing this more in depth in your next Sit and Talk?

I am personally interested (was) in going to it as it never lined up with my schedule before. I think the community just wants to hear why it doesn't work for MWG anymore, and those that are interested in continuing it may be able to receive some insight into potential pitfalls for running it.

I do not think anyone doubts your reasoning or judgement Matt, you run a business for your own livelihood and you are accountable to it, it is just nice to know how something died and why.
It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword!"

BERKS
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by BERKS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Message for Matthew, Dave, and Jay (from Black Knight Games).

Hey... i'm working on similar event like "Apocalypticon" that you were doing. Me and my partner would be interested to take over your branded name and continued what you are doing. Right now our event is half full in a couple of days for our first edition 14/30 players registered. We have sponsor we work with.

If you are interested to talk about it, we are waiting on your anwser at this email: laforgedesjeux@hotmail.com

By the way we have a lot of events we run during the year.
We are a Gaming Club that like to put emphasis on the hobbies.

BERKS
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by BERKS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Proposition as been sent via email to MiniWargaming to take over APOCALYPTICON for not letting this formidable event die !!! We are a group from Montreal QC and Reading PA whant to save it. : )

Codyroo
Silver Vault Member

Post by Codyroo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Any updates Berks?
I Krump! I Waaagh! I Krump Again!

interrogatorchaplain
Gold Vault Member

Post by interrogatorchaplain » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 pm

I would just like to chime in, stating my disappointment that this isn't going ahead. I had planned to attend this year's event along with my friends from North Bay.

The Apocalypticon video's are what introduced me to Miniwargaming and eventually led to me buying into the Vault. I'm really sad to see this not happening.

Ripi
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Ripi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:46 pm

I like everyone else am quite sad and am sure like most would be willing to pay more for this event to be hosted.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I would pay more, and the shirts and grab bags are cool, but I would go without those if I meant this happened. Also can I suggest that you guys (miniwargaming) make a dvd set or downloadable of all the past Apocalypticons? I would gladly pay money to have it on a disc.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Blyro

Post by Blyro » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I realise this was announced a while ago - But would it not be an option for you to kickstart/indiegogo your Apocalypticons? I mean, I personally cannot get to Canada for this.. but would donate just for the insane videos!
Dornt dorp dat dakka dakka

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Blyro wrote:I realise this was announced a while ago - But would it not be an option for you to kickstart/indiegogo your Apocalypticons? I mean, I personally cannot get to Canada for this.. but would donate just for the insane videos!

I feel rather foolish for not thinking of such a suggestion. I would be all over this, and would contribute!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Rezial
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Rezial » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm new to the MWG forums (this is my first post in fact) but I thought this was as good a place to start as any. I've been following the MWG team for quite awhile through YouTube and finally became a Vault member recently. I've seen a great many of the vids and always look forward to more. One of the originals was Apocalypticon for me. Even before I had heard of MWG's existence I had heard strange rumors and seen logos for the epic event that was... Apocalypticon.

As I watched the first one later I thought it was quite cool. Same for the second, and I became impressed later on for the ambitiousness of it's size if nothing else. Unfortunately as it got bigger it got less powerful to my eyes. From what I've seen and read I can absolutely understand there would be many reasons to discontinue it in that form. Besides a few key features such as more ambitious armies and custom titans it seemed from my perspective that the early magic was waning. Also since it's very unlikely I would personally be able to attend one due to geography and resources I wouldn't be able to understand the way someone nearby to the MWG locations might feel. But as a customer and fan of the company I believe they will be making the correct decisions for them to continue doing the best job they can.

I noticed that the official replies on this thread have become a bit scarce so maybe it's a non-issue at this point but I would just ask the guys to try and make up for the loss of the event by planning some more traditional Apocalypse coverage under the new rules. Also please don't let the Apocalypticon branding die out because it was a major influence in the community just by being viral on T-Shirts and the like.
Repent, for tomorrow you die!
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

ColinClare
Silver Vault Member

Post by ColinClare » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Rezial wrote:I'm new to the MWG forums (this is my first post in fact) but I thought this was as good a place to start as any. I've been following the MWG team for quite awhile through YouTube and finally became a Vault member recently. I've seen a great many of the vids and always look forward to more. One of the originals was Apocalypticon for me. Even before I had heard of MWG's existence I had heard strange rumors and seen logos for the epic event that was... Apocalypticon.

As I watched the first one later I thought it was quite cool. Same for the second, and I became impressed later on for the ambitiousness of it's size if nothing else. Unfortunately as it got bigger it got less powerful to my eyes. From what I've seen and read I can absolutely understand there would be many reasons to discontinue it in that form. Besides a few key features such as more ambitious armies and custom titans it seemed from my perspective that the early magic was waning. Also since it's very unlikely I would personally be able to attend one due to geography and resources I wouldn't be able to understand the way someone nearby to the MWG locations might feel. But as a customer and fan of the company I believe they will be making the correct decisions for them to continue doing the best job they can.

I noticed that the official replies on this thread have become a bit scarce so maybe it's a non-issue at this point but I would just ask the guys to try and make up for the loss of the event by planning some more traditional Apocalypse coverage under the new rules. Also please don't let the Apocalypticon branding die out because it was a major influence in the community just by being viral on T-Shirts and the like.
I second everything single he said, I also knew what Apocalypticon was before I knew what MWG was...

That was a great comment Rez, welcome to the Vault and to the Forums!
Colin
It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword!"

Ripi

Post by Ripi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:59 pm

I hope you would reconsider this event for the same reason I want GW to bring a games day back. An event like this does a lot for your image as you know and have heard you talk about in your business discussions. Its this event that got me to subscribe to your vault. It was because of this event that I did subscribe, because I wanted to support you for hosting such an iconic event.

I understand with the closing of your store financial pressures have decreased your budget and you believe that your money is best spent elsewhere such as providing more vault content. But I believe that having the event will benefit your marketing purposes and the community greatly.

As far as your concerns about the size of the event. It doesn't need to get bigger and bigger. You clearly expressed your opinion that there was a certain size that it did function best at. I'm sure we would be ok with a size limit.

Please reconsider your decision.

Best wishes.