Apocalypticon Has Been Cancelled

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Apocalypticon Has Been Cancelled

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Apocalypticon is now being run by another group. Click here for all the details.

Hello everybody,

I have to make the unfortunate announcement that we are discontinuing all future Apocalypticons.

This was decided after much deliberation, as there are actually quite a few reasons that we were thinking of doing this. Among them were the time it took to plan and run the event, the cost involved (we have yet to make any profit from these events, and while we enjoy the results, profit is necessary for us to sustain our businesses), finding a suitable venue, along with several other reasons.

We want to thank all of those who have participated in the past, especially those who came to multiple events (some who even came to all of them).

If you have any questions about this announcement, please post them here and we will do our best to answer them.

Happy wargaming!

Matthew, Dave, and Jay (from Black Knight Games)

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Apocalypticon Has Been Cancelled

Post by jae4x4 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 pm

NO! This honestly ruined my year, I really love and thank you MWG for the 4 great battles, but hate you at the same time for this announcement. Guys im willing to host this event, so drop me a line I will make a facebook group and we will keep Apocalypticon alive!

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Although it's fitting - Imperium and Xenos both took 2 wins each (right?).
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:25 am

jae4x4 wrote:NO! This honestly ruined my year, I really love and thank you MWG for the 4 great battles, but hate you at the same time for this announcement. Guys im willing to host this event, so drop me a line I will make a facebook group and we will keep Apocalypticon alive!
If anybody decides to run their own huge Apocalypse game this year, we will gladly put up a couple videos and announce it to our email list to help you find participants.

However, we won't be able to do more than that as that would just go back to all the reasons why we cancelled this one to begin with.

Thank you for your offer!

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Very sad indeed... anyone think they will take up the mantle of responsibility?

Matt, is the name available?
~Kernbanks

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes, the name is available, you can email me if you are interested (although I'll only give / sell it to someone who can prove they are serious about continuing it).

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Is Apocalypticon trademarked? If so I would like to see the TM, thanks!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Nope.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

However, that doesn't mean anybody can just take the name. It is automatically protected anywhere it is marketed, so at the very least it is protected in North America.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:45 pm

First, I must say I am not fond of the news. This was definitely the event I looked forward every year. Between the arms race and the folks I got to meet, it was a lot of fun. I would like to thank all the crew for putting the event on the four years, and do not begrudge Matt and company for the decision they made. First and foremost, Matt is running a business, and he needs to do what is best.

I do have one question, though, and I am unsure if you would be comfortable answering, Matt. Would you be willing to share a ball park figure of what the event cost to run? After all, if anyone is serious about trying to take over, that would be a nice thing to have in the back of their mind.

In the meantime, anyone who is in the GTA, I am currently working with the GW crew in Toronto to run Apoc. events. It will not be as large as Apocalypticon, but it may scratch an itch for some folks.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 am

Hey Aegis,

I don't mind sharing. The whole event usually cost anywhere from $3000 to $4000 to run, and generated about $3000 in revenues from ticket sales.

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 am

Unfortunate, I was looking forward to attending again. I had high hopes for the way the new rules would work better with the format.

That's not a terrible margin, I suspect it may be possible to adjust some costs or develop some secondary revenue streams for someone who has more time to dedicate to the planning, I remember you guys were looking for a planner because of the scale of the event. Unlike many tournaments, I'm sure the profit does not scale as well per participant, I'd almost assume there will be a tipping point where the cost per additional participant will increase. So bigger would not necessarily be better.

I know I liked getting the T-shirt, but gladly would have purchased it separately from the entry fee.

So how long will the Apocalypticon section of the forums stay up? If someone is looking at taking it over, will they be able to use this forum to farm for feedback/ideas?
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

Codyroo
Silver Vault Member

Post by Codyroo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:57 am

miniwargaming wrote:Hey Aegis,

I don't mind sharing. The whole event usually cost anywhere from $3000 to $4000 to run, and generated about $3000 in revenues from ticket sales.
Matt, what would be a reasonable profit margin to have kept this event running?
I Krump! I Waaagh! I Krump Again!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am

Just to clarify, the lack of profit was not the only reason we decided not to go ahead.

As for profit margin, it isn't so much the margin as the total profit that matters. Even if we could have a profit margin of 100%, that would still only make $3000 for a big event each year. The hard thing about Apocalypticon is that it is not really scalable - to get more people you need to get a bigger venue, much bigger on average per person than other conventions.

The game would also get unreasonably big if we go much larger, and would feel even more like you are just playing against the people around you, and not part of a much larger game.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am

I know one of the things we love is the size, but what if the event were scaled back to somewhere between the size of the first and second year? Smaller space required, more narrative opportunities and more ability to show case stuff.

Also, with time and effort involved, I am fairly certain some of use regulars would gladly give some volunteer time to the effort.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Return to “Apocalypticon”