Fortifications

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Fortifications

Post by Aegis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 am

So, I have been giving some thought to this years Apocalypticon, and the recent adjustments to 40k as we know it. Obviously, Escalation does nothing to affect how Apocalypse is played. Stronghold Assault, on the other hand, brings some interesting toys to the table.

Generally speaking, I think most fortifications (provided Matt and company go by the book rule wise) will be easily integrated into the game. My mind, however, keeps coming back to the Void Shield Relay and Promethium pipelines (the one with the void shields). Now, I am not opposed to the idea of the Void Shields. If anything, I can think of a couple players who will love to field a bunch of these to ensure they can fire back. My concern is with the lack of a model or dimensions for the fortifications.

As it stands, with no clear idea on what the void shield relays look like, they can range from being a spindly little thing taking up the size of a regular infantry base, to a large piece of terrain. As such, I think it is best that, if they are allowed, and in multiples, the discussion of size should be had.

Otherwise, what is to stop some dastardly player from taking enough void shield relays to negate an entire table edge's worth of alpha strikes? Imagine if even Kernbanks Titan Legion did not have enough fire power to tear through the void shields, leaving an entire army free to move and fire with virtually no casualties? Obviously, it is possible both sides end up in the same position, but then we have no massive explosions and tons of infantry on the table that needs to be handled, thus slowing down the flow of the game on the table.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Fortifications

Post by xtroopers9 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:29 pm

I would just limit them to a certain amount per table. Although its 25 points for 1 Shield correct? That and its av12 with a 12 inch range? I don't think its nearly as powerful as some think. Size wise, I feel something similar to a 12 oz soda can would be good.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:48 pm

xtroopers9 wrote:I would just limit them to a certain amount per table. Although its 25 points for 1 Shield correct? That and its av12 with a 12 inch range? I don't think its nearly as powerful as some think. Size wise, I feel something similar to a 12 oz soda can would be good.
When played within the construct of normal 40k, you are absolutely right. Even if you cheese the size of the generator itself, you can still only create so many bubbles.

Now, imagine in a game of Apocalypse, where a standard size for the generator has not been agreed upon, and there (currently) exist no restrictions on how many fortifications you can take. At the size of a pop can, you can put a lot of void shield bubble wrap up.

My thoughts were no so much how powerful it can or cannot be, to be honest. My larger concern was regarding potential slow play. But, I digress. Discussion is why I posted it!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Here's a suggestion:

If using a Void Generator, it cannot be smaller than a standard MC/flier base. Max of 6 generators per player?

crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by crashcanuck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 am

I like the idea of it having to fit on a flyer base. The only other suggestion is to have it be a building at least the size of the Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker terrain piece. It needs to be something that can reasonably be targetted without being enormous.

That being said would anyone have a problem if I converted one of these:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1780024a
to be a Void Shield relay? (I promise LEDs to make it glow :P)

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

I think that's a reasonable size - might need a few extra bits on it to differentiate it, etc.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted