2014 questions

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: 2014 questions

Post by Aegis » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 pm

You would definitely not be out of any league. The primary goal of Apocalypticon is to have fun, and see everyone's large painted armies hit the table. Having 8000-10k points is definitely enough to be able to participate.

One important thing to remember, though, is to try an have a solid grasp of your armies rules, at the least. Each turn is timed, and you do not want to spend part of that flipping through books if you can avoid it.

If you have the time and resources to make it out, I am sure I do not speak alone when I say this, but come on out!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:24 pm

gabrielseth1013 wrote:I have been a 40k "collector" since 1991 and have poured too many of my personal resources into this game ... Chicagoland people are "FUN POLICE" and defeated the purpose of getting into the game ... my enthusiasm for Games Workshop waxes and wanes ... have recently gotten back into the hobby (@2011)
Wow... the story of my life. I started playing a little earlier, grew up in Chicago before moving out west, then to Europe, then back to the states... but 40k has always been a plastic investment... some do gold I do mini's... ok I like them a lot too.

As for Apocalypticon - last year was my first and it was amazing. I try to get a game a month in, busy work life and all. It has kept me 'fresh' but I do it for fun. That's the key take-a-way I got in Hamilton... it was all about fun. That said, that many marines will always be fun, just don't be sad when you are removing 10 or more at a time when a Warhound's Plasma Blast gun targets a squad. See you there...
~Kernbanks

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Would we be able to choose what powers our librarians take? Would be easier and faster for everyone involved.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

frontalrhino
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by frontalrhino » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't think we should do that it would be to easy to cheese them. take a load of powers that stack and just wipe units. what does everyone else think

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:42 pm

@frontalrhino: The counter argument, though, is that we stick to a pretty strict schedule. If you happen to bring a lot of Psykers' (And of various mastery's), rolling them during deployment can really eat into your time, especially if your team bid 5 minutes.

By predetermining powers, yes you can cheese them a bit, but it also means you can have aides clearly made that define what powers each one has, with no extra hassle.

Additionally, with how much fire power is in this game, will pre-chosen powers really make a huge difference? Probably not.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Either that or have a gentleman's agreement with the guy (or girl) across the table from you. Do it whenever either of you find it suitable.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 am

Get the cards, deal them out... make copies so you can have plenty of each set aside for each mutant... i mean psyker.

I am looking to stream line my list as much as possible for faster game play. All the libis will be in a choir, and i think the commissars will get to the IG psykers before the battle even begins.

I am trying to find a good way to make data cards for squads / vehicles to better record events. Don't want too much paper on the table but trying to keep dice where they need to be and fairly and accurately record void shields and hull points was a pain.
~Kernbanks

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Not to mention we still have to see what we're gonna do about they crazy new destroyer weapons...
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Has it been said if we're keeping Seize the Initiative or not? Honestly I hate the rule.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

I do not recall if we used that for last years game, to be honest. Given the amount of players, I doubt it would be feasible though.

Personally, I am fond of the time bidding option. MY big hope for this year is the allowance of fortifications...

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I like the time bidding too- so much drama and anticipation before the game has even begun!

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 pm

If we do bidding, why don't we cap the minimum at 10 minutes?

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:17 pm

then both sides will bid 10 haha, there is a reason the minimum is 5, if you want to go 1st for the advantage, your generals will be punished in a hasty deployment, if you want a lax deployment while enjoying a refreshing beverage and bagel, then bid 30 minutes, but prepare to loose half your army...

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:59 am

Can't speek for everyone but less than 1/3 of my force could fit on my alloted table space. Loosing half of it, even all of it would only make more room for reinforcements.

And this year 2 companies of green wing in drop pods for any Grey Knight warp quaking shenanigans. And my christmas break will be dedicated to Thunderhawk construction for the deathwing. Suck it deepstrike mishape table...
~Kernbanks

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I would also like to see the inclusion of being able to use movement trays. Im not talking just like cardboard and troops set on it, I was gonna get sheets of 1/4 inch plywood drill holes and use sheet metal to magnetize it and my troops. When I have 300+ Necron Warriors its a HUGE amount of time to set them up. Although they will get eaten by blast templates I'm willing to make that trade off. I was also gonna base the tray the same as my troops.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."