6th Edition Apoc rules

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

6th Edition Apoc rules

Post by kernbanks » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 am

Hello all, hope the high's of Apocalypticon are still with you but the overdose of gaming is fading enough to get back into it. Restart some projects and bump start the plastic/resin/pewter coldwar once again.

So... I was just reading the new Apoc book and have a question about the Combined fire special rule under the "Steel Fury" Baneblade Company. Do they get both the tank hunters from the arrow head AND combined fire?

And is the combine fire at that instant? So for the first baneblade it gets a +1, the second a +2... so on. Or if someone was to say "all 5 of my baneblades are shooting at ___" then do all five (since all five have shot at that same target in the same turn) get +5 on the damage table with the banebade cannons?
~Kernbanks

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 6th Edition Apoc rules

Post by jae4x4 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 pm

im not sure, i think its a little silly flyers can only move 36 inches a turn though, we should double that distance for next years game, its hard to make a bombing run with hellfire templates when you can only move 36 inches

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Or maybe... we could use the old movement rules for flyers in apoc in that case?

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 am

I could easily agree to different flying distances between standard and super heavy flyiers. Same thing with the flying critters.

Let SH/Gargantuan flyers get 72" or even 120" range, they deserve it... though those Thunderhawks should be limited to 12" range due to their weight :)

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Next year we will be using the new rules, most likely with very few house rules (except probably to remove some of the more time consuming things that would bog down a huge game like this too much).

So don't count on using any 5th (or 4th) edition rules for anything.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Matt, Agree... some things need to be simple the book seems to work well. I don't like all the formations (Deathwing/Ravenwing were an epic fails) Looking forward to getting the new Forgeworld Apocalypse book, hopefully there will be some interesting things in there.

As for scale I was just playing with that as I sketch out my scratch build ideas... and it is a little silly. 40k is 28mm, so 1" is about 6', thus a 1" model (like a space marine) is 6' (2m for you metric users). However, 24" range would then equate to 144' = 46yards about 43m. So today, I a 6' man, carry a 24" long rifle, that shoots 800m accurately... but 40,000 years in the future that same man and same gun can only shoot half way down a football pitch. Yet don't stop there... those lascannons only shoot 100m +/-, battlecannon (main tank guns!!!) only shoot 150m!!!

So the game doesn't scale. It makes planning a scratch build quite difficult...

That being said, how big is the Manta? Length, Width, Depth? How large were those Emperor Titans? If I'm building something I want it to fit as much as possible.

Thanks
~Kernbanks

crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by crashcanuck » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 am

Personally I always considered the infantry to be larger than they should be, I can't fit 10 marines into the hold of a Rhino, but rules say they can. I would base the scale of any conversions to the vehicles.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 am

Ok... Chimera 3"x5", Bradley IFV 3.5mx6.5m

Reguardless of which you use for scale it (length or width) it come up approx 1" about 1.25m.

So it's worse... the 24" rifle shoots 30m? a lascannon 60m? a battlecannon 90m?!?!?

bottom line, scale in the game is off... if it was closer to a true scale and not heroic scale (emphasis on faces, weapons, etc) the lowly lasgun (500m range) would be shooting 33 feet +/- and the game wouldn't be table top. OR we'd have mini's like those old school epic ones (6mm scale) but ranges longer than game had.

Don't take this as a rant, it definitely is not. Love the game and enjoy playing because of the people. But I want to start on next years projects and drawing up the plans is becoming a challenge... Making the models smaller means I can pack more in my designated space... making them larger makes them cooler... the rule of cool says i need them to be HHUUGGEE!!! (New Englander's and people in NY will get car commercial the joke).

oh woe is me that has this first world problem... how big do I make my toys?
~Kernbanks

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Well, I'd say make them roughly the same size as a model already out there (Or, in the case of those w/o models, (Say the defense laser which technically should use a 2'x2' tile) bigger is usually better)

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:48 pm

That's exactly it - if you are scratch building something that exists as a model, it should both look and be roughly the same size as the model you are imitating.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Yup... but so many opinions out there about the great Leviathan. It is going to happen this year. Similar in size to a Baneblade but taller, maybe a bit wider and longer.

And does anyone have a pic (or know of a pic) with a Manta and a yard stick?
~Kernbanks

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 pm

On the FW site there are the dimensions for the manta

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4 ... MANTA.html

its in the description.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Maybe I should read...

This is for Matt or someone from MWG... how much weight could one of your tables hold. Being under 12.5kg should not be a problem but I don't want to mess up the table either.
~Kernbanks