Page 3 of 3

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm
by Aegis
jae4x4 wrote:ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!
In Canadian, the Thunderhawk is more than $600. Assuming the average exchange rate over the past two years, it actually comes to roughly $800-$850, and then you factor in duties, which add another $100. For the cost of the kits (if you buy them at GW, so not factoring in deals from other retailers), you are looking at about $300. If the time is no issue, you can build 3 custom T-hawks for one official one.

As for me, I am considering the scratch build because I doubt I can convince my wife to let me buy a second forgeworld T-hawk.

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm
by xtroopers9
Aegis wrote:
jae4x4 wrote:ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!
In Canadian, the Thunderhawk is more than $600. Assuming the average exchange rate over the past two years, it actually comes to roughly $800-$850, and then you factor in duties, which add another $100. For the cost of the kits (if you buy them at GW, so not factoring in deals from other retailers), you are looking at about $300. If the time is no issue, you can build 3 custom T-hawks for one official one.

As for me, I am considering the scratch build because I doubt I can convince my wife to let me buy a second forgeworld T-hawk.
Plus you still have to assemble the forgeworld thunderhawk right? So they even getcha on that.

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm
by jae4x4
i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 pm
by jj3
jae4x4 wrote:i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P
A Manta requires a small crane to be able to fly it around the table, it's just not something really usable...

Believe me, I've tried to figure out many ways to make it work! I know if I can get it figured out for 1, two would be cake! :)

Hey, maybe next year if I have all that figured out, I can fly it over to your side of the table so you can have one too! :twisted:

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm
by Tyranid96
Owen had a good way to make a Manta work.

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:54 am
by jae4x4
jj3 wrote:
jae4x4 wrote:i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P
A Manta requires a small crane to be able to fly it around the table, it's just not something really usable...

Believe me, I've tried to figure out many ways to make it work! I know if I can get it figured out for 1, two would be cake! :)

Hey, maybe next year if I have all that figured out, I can fly it over to your side of the table so you can have one too! :twisted:
a crane might actually work, like one of those things on wheels they have in a hospital, but a little more heavy duty, i may look into that! you could hang it with some high tension fishing line! (i am being serious btw)

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 am
by kernbanks
Well... if fliers keep getting more and more love we will need a special place just for them. You'all have now reminded me I also need to build Hyrda & AA-Medusa platforms. Those dam StormRavens in the Grey Knight formation were killer

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 am
by Aegis
Well, then you will not be happy to know I plan to add 2-3 more storm ravens.

As such though, I think fortifications need to be considered seriously, as there is just not enough anti-air available outside of fliers...

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm
by kernbanks
I have a Nephilim that I am going to play around with, see if they could be as effective as Vendettas of which I have three in their boxes... just didn't have the time to build them.

Might even make a FW purchase, I like the Thunderbolt model a lot.

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm
by jae4x4
I have a super secret project for this next year, but it might take me 2 years, i will need Randy's advice i think, so randy you should get in contact with me. And yo 2-4 thunderbolts are so sexy, i will have mine there next year, i didnt bring my flyers as they were not painted! you can be my wing man!

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm
by MasticatorDeelux
Obligatory
Image

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 am
by MWG-Owen
Tyranid96 wrote:Owen had a good way to make a Manta work.

More of A way. The new plan will go better. Bigger, better and maybe make a real base.

The last manta is now resting...in pieces.

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm
by Randolph
jae4x4 wrote:I have a super secret project for this next year, but it might take me 2 years, i will need Randy's advice i think, so randy you should get in contact with me. And yo 2-4 thunderbolts are so sexy, i will have mine there next year, i didnt bring my flyers as they were not painted! you can be my wing man!

You know it. I look forward to your wild ideas!

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm
by orksaregreat
I cant beleve another year has come and gone. It was such fun!!!! I think next year I will bring more stuff that shoots far and uses big platsic templates as those looked like a lot of fun and blew lots up! Thanks everyone for a good time!!!!!!!!