Another Apocalypticon is complete

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 am

I've deleted and sent warnings to all those who lowered themselves to using insults as a means to discuss the scratch builds from this year. Kymmerus' post is a great example on how to talk about something you didn't like without resorting to name calling and insults.

I will delete and hand out warnings to anybody who continues to act this way.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

Next year someone with a lot more skill than I could ever muster, will bring any titan of mine that comes, to the level of eye candy prevalent on Randy's tables.
I think Kymmerus' idea I'll employ. Take pic's of the non-conformative constructs, put them on a sheet and attach a readout of what armaments they have.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am

Also I was wondering if Randy got the prize for best scratch build this year? I know he got it last year for his imperators, and was wondering if he is going to keep getting it for the same thing. That being said they are awesome, but there are plenty of other scratch builds people bring that could be receiving it. I only built a pylon (well 4) and I'm not saying someone like me should get it, but it should also be about not just looks, but time spent on it, and the work put into it. Maybe its just me being whatever but those are my two cents.

Also I thought the Chaos imperator was cool, the legs maybe just needed to be beefed up, but I like the upper torso, and the floating heads.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am

@ Masticatordeelux -

Bob the Emperor is in an oil bath right now; had to upsize the one on Tatooine for him to fit. He'll recover.. one day.. from that final blow of ultra strong laser light.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

xtroopers9 wrote:Also I was wondering if Randy got the prize for best scratch build this year? I know he got it last year for his imperators, and was wondering if he is going to keep getting it for the same thing. That being said they are awesome, but there are plenty of other scratch builds people bring that could be receiving it. I only built a pylon (well 4) and I'm not saying someone like me should get it, but it should also be about not just looks, but time spent on it, and the work put into it. Maybe its just me being whatever but those are my two cents.

Also I thought the Chaos imperator was cool, the legs maybe just needed to be beefed up, but I like the upper torso, and the floating heads.
I'm in agreement with Xtroopers9 - there were a tonne of great scratch builds on the table - I think we won for largest army and scratchbuilt combined -but, next year we should have a judging table for scratchbuilds and make it really easy for Matt, Dave and Jay to see the work that has been done. Maybe a brief description of materials used and amount of hours spent to go with each model.

I will still be scratch building for next year, however, I'm going to scale down the size of my scratchbuilds to something much more reasonable.

I am also going to scale down the size of my army, which will make the game even more enjoyable. 20,000pts or so.

Which reminds me...gotta change my tag line.
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 pm

I was planning on not choosing the same scratch build each year for the prize, so the Emperor Titans cannot win again.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Randolph wrote:
xtroopers9 wrote:Also I was wondering if Randy got the prize for best scratch build this year? I know he got it last year for his imperators, and was wondering if he is going to keep getting it for the same thing. That being said they are awesome, but there are plenty of other scratch builds people bring that could be receiving it. I only built a pylon (well 4) and I'm not saying someone like me should get it, but it should also be about not just looks, but time spent on it, and the work put into it. Maybe its just me being whatever but those are my two cents.

I'm in agreement with Xtroopers9 - there were a tonne of great scratch builds on the table - I think we won for largest army and scratchbuilt combined -but, next year we should have a judging table for scratchbuilds and make it really easy for Matt, Dave and Jay to see the work that has been done. Maybe a brief description of materials used and amount of hours spent to go with each model.

I will still be scratch building for next year, however, I'm going to scale down the size of my scratchbuilds to something much more reasonable.

I am also going to scale down the size of my army, which will make the game even more enjoyable. 20,000pts or so.

Which reminds me...gotta change my tag line.
Ok I meant no disrespect as your titans are AWESOME, I just wanted to make sure I didn't come across as sounding like a a**. A judging able sounds like an awesome idea.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Speaking of scratch builds... anyone have a good Thunderhawk template that they also have completed so i can see a pic of the end state?
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

I like this one personally:

http://warllama40k.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... rhawk.html

I am really tempted to try it out when/if I get some extra cash to pick up the components.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Ursa06
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ursa06 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 am

So, when are we going to see the Bat-Reps ? :-)
Upgrading my Daemons of Chaos 1850 list.

Nothing will ever be the same ...

My gaming blog. (it's a little bit "dead" right now, but i should get it back to work soon ... i hope so)

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:14 am

I sadly neglected to both take photos and write down what was going on at my table. Suffice to say there was lots of titan, eldar, and tau fire ripping into my troops and vehicles, with healthy amounts of stuff blowing up on either side. I took a lot of superheavy explosions, but the field was leveled after a 28 inch Str D explosion off a Reaver Titan cleared out the back field.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Aegis wrote:I like this one personally:

http://warllama40k.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... rhawk.html

I am really tempted to try it out when/if I get some extra cash to pick up the components.
with all those kits just blow the full amount of cash and avoid all the work...
~Kernbanks

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm

ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:20 pm

jae4x4 wrote:ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!
plus quality... i've seen a few stormraven to thunderhawk conversions and they look glued together. Aegis already has a Forgeworld T-hawk so anything less than that would just pail in appearance.
~Kernbanks

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:23 pm

MasticatorDeelux wrote:I sadly neglected to both take photos and write down what was going on at my table. Suffice to say there was lots of titan, eldar, and tau fire ripping into my troops and vehicles, with healthy amounts of stuff blowing up on either side. I took a lot of superheavy explosions, but the field was leveled after a 28 inch Str D explosion off a Reaver Titan cleared out the back field.
Technically that was your fault... :)