Another Apocalypticon is complete

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Another Apocalypticon is complete

Post by crashcanuck » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 am

Another year, another great game, thanks to Matt, Jay and all the guys from MiniWargaming and Black Knight and to everyone that played, I had a great time.

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 am

[inside joke]...Ronald Reagan deserved none of that...[/inside joke]

Thank you for making this another excellent Apocalypticon. I loved the venue (more space to walk around, better AC, lots of nearby businesses) and loved all the well painted armies. Big shout out to Joel and Chris who were pleasant to play against.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:06 am

It was another great apocalypse battle. From the first explosion to the last - or my Emperor titan to the Great Gargant - the destruction was absolute. This is the second year that my Emperor has not been able to fire any of its weapons thanks to first turn destruction - but the death of the titan claimed tonnes of enemy tank models and sneaky little infiltrators. Next year will be even more devastating with the new D strength rules. Nothing will survive the first turn of shooting. Yeah!!

Thanks again to Matt, Dave and Jay and the hard work of all of the staff from Miniwargaming and Black Knight Games. It was another awesome Apocalypticon - I'll see everyone next summer!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Indeed, it was good fun. It is always great to see how the Apocalypticon Arms Race builds over the year. So many more titans (Yeah, looking at you George).

Going to be fun to see what people bring next year.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Aegis wrote:Indeed, it was good fun. It is always great to see how the Apocalypticon Arms Race builds over the year. So many more titans (Yeah, looking at you George).

Going to be fun to see what people bring next year.
Yes the arms race!!! Maybe I'll need a U'haul trailer will be needed.

I want to add my thanks to Matt/Dave and the gang, it was an awesome event and now I NEED another one. I think you might be crack dealers... and Apocalypticon is my juice. When do we start discussions for next year?

Hope everyone made it home safe. See everyone next year.

~Kernbanks (George)
~Kernbanks

Kymmerus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm

That was awesome. Bugs barbecued by Salamanders... I really shouldn't have said anything disparaging about their primarch in retrospect!

Thank you all for running an awesome event, looking forward to next years!

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

It was a good event, lots of templates, lots of destruction, and I needed a shovel to get things on and off fast enough :)

My most memorable moment?

Jae4x4 desperately trying to nick the last 2 hull points off my reaver and rolling a stream of 1's and 2's while I tried to hold off the mobs of people all wanting a shot at it! :) My table-mate (B, sorry I don't remember your username here) then nonchalantly rolling a 6 with a las cannon to make it apocalyptically explode 28 inches and clearing my side of the table of everything.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 pm

THAT LAS CANNON DIDN'T COUNT! DAM YOU DICE!

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:16 pm

maybe the 13th year will make the difference.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Regarding those Reavers, I personally liked the concept. Could use a bit of work, but I think they're a nice model. Sure as heck beats the Forge World Reaver IMHO. They look like daemon engines, not just corrupted titans. (I'd expect that after 10 thousand years, some enterprising Daemonsmith would get this idea and go with it.)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Argun wrote:Regarding those Reavers, I personally liked the concept. Could use a bit of work, but I think they're a nice model. Sure as heck beats the Forge World Reaver IMHO. They look like daemon engines, not just corrupted titans. (I'd expect that after 10 thousand years, some enterprising Daemonsmith would get this idea and go with it.)
The four legged variety definitely had a more chaos/daemon engine look. As for the quality, my philosophy is such: Until I start scratch building and bringing it to the game, I can only applaud people the effort.

Remember, this game is about having fun. Sure, it is great to have the most detailed and best looking models (which often translate into official, or simply being Randy and Phil). However, I will not begrudge people who scratch build to have some fun and a good time.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm

The concept with brilliant, the execution however could use some work.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 pm

It's all about how you play it... a scratch built attempt is 1000x's better than a proxy.
~Kernbanks

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:48 pm

My little Storm Talon says hi. :lol:

I still feel somewhat bad about sniping that last hull point out.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

Kymmerus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm of mixed mind on some of the crazy Chaos conversions and other scratch builds I saw this year.

There were some unique and imaginative designs that were certainly evocative of some of the things I've read about in the 40K books. Like stalk tanks, stumble guns and just general crazy, chaotic, creations that defy reality! They also harkened back to the early days of 40K where a used deodorant stick formed the basis for a land speeder.

FYI check out this Eavy Metal conversion: http://carjackedseraphim.blogspot.ca/20 ... adron.html

Scratch building is great! I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from it... however...

40K does have a certain established style and aesthetic. From just a silhouette you can identify titans, troops, monsters, tanks and weapons. Some are more complex than others. (Personally it doesn't take much to sell me on an upside down flowerpot with a large diameter pipe sticking out of it to be an Ork Stompa with a belly gun, but using that as an Eldar titan becomes a much harder sell for example.)

Keep in mind we're looking at playing a big, complex, long running, game with a bunch of people we may not know, and who may place a different emphasis on certain aspects of the hobby.

Its not a stretch that it could become a real issue for people if they can't get a general sense of what something is supposed to represent on the game board.

I can't see it being fun for either side if most of the game becomes constantly asking what something is supposed to represent or what it does. (Heck, stock 40K models could prompt this if they are rarely seen) but consider this across a large apocalypse level force and we could be looking at some issues.

If the scratch builds differ considerably from the 40K archetype, having a name tag on the model "Hello my name is: Reaver Titan with Plasma Blast Gun!" or a picture key printout to tell what is what strikes me as highly recommended.