PreGame

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

PreGame

Post by Vache Glace » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I overestimated the number of rolls I would have to do but still, I have 12 Gift of Mutation Rolls, 16 Psychic Power rolls, and 20 Daemonic Rewards I have to roll before the game starts.

Just wondering if we would be roiling/writing these down as part of deployment or if there will be a predeployment psychic rolls phase where we can write everything down? (Excel is a God-send)

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Re: PreGame

Post by jj3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:49 pm

This is just mind boggling to map these to units, and remember everything that goes where.

I'd suggest to bring some post-its along to write details like this and stick it to the base (sticky side up on the bottom of the base) of the unit that has something special, then everyone can see it - including you :).

To have to constantly reference a spreadsheet means your taking a ton of time cross referencing.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I thought Matt had mentioned the possibility of choosing psychic powers, daemonic abilities, etc. for Apocalypticon. I sure hope this will be the case, so I can give all the GD's and so on the same abilities, psykers the same spells, etc.
Instead of literally having 50-60 different combinations to micromanage.

@ MWG Has there been movement on the decision as to whether or not we'll be able to choose abilities, spells, etc. this year?

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 pm

+1 for a psychic null zone over the entire event :)

It's for the greater good, of course!

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 pm

If everyone got to choose psychic powers, I fear that everyone would spam prescience. That would definitely NOT be fun in my opinion. Personally, I'd say that for however many psykers you have, maybe... 50% can choose from the 6th Ed. table, and the other 50% stay with the stock powers.

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am

Argun wrote:If everyone got to choose psychic powers, I fear that everyone would spam prescience. That would definitely NOT be fun in my opinion. Personally, I'd say that for however many psykers you have, maybe... 50% can choose from the 6th Ed. table, and the other 50% stay with the stock powers.
Problem here is if they have access to Divination you can always take prescience.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:51 am

jj3 wrote:+1 for a psychic null zone over the entire event :)

It's for the greater good, of course!
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

Tyranid96 wrote:
Argun wrote:If everyone got to choose psychic powers, I fear that everyone would spam prescience. That would definitely NOT be fun in my opinion. Personally, I'd say that for however many psykers you have, maybe... 50% can choose from the 6th Ed. table, and the other 50% stay with the stock powers.
Problem here is if they have access to Divination you can always take prescience.
Did you even pay attention to the second part? Here, I even bolded it for you.

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am

Yes I did but still 50% with prescience is still a big thing. Maybe just limit how many models per disipline as opposed to the 50% like However many pyskers used/however many disiplines there are that you have access to, to find out a good ratio?
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 am

Now that, I can agree with.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:40 pm

My bad on not being specific in my request. When I asked MWG that we get to choose our psychic powers/ daemonic abilites/ etc., it wasn't a free for all choosing bonanza. Psykers with access to Div' can choose Div' powers. Psykers with access only to Nurgle (e.g. Typhus) would only choose Nurgle powers.
It just saves rolling everything, and having 50-60 different powers/ abilities to write down and deal with (I'm at or past that number, and I'm sure others are in that ballpark).
All my Tzeench sorcerers have the same set of powers, etc.

It also saves a bit of head ache for opponents who care about what psyker powers my boyz have, as I could easily produce a cheat sheet with readouts like:

"All Daemon Princes of Slaanesh are lv.3 psykers, and choose Caresse of Slaanesh, Terrify and Hallucinate. "

This is doubly true for people facing my daemons, who are not familiar with what the daemon powers do, as I could include on the cheat sheet what an Axe of Khorn does, etc.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm

I doesn't really matter to me because I will be on your guys team, but it seems like if it was a free for all then that would give a relatively big boost to the evil team. No Imperium army has access to that much psykers unless some just took like 20 librarians...

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree with Xtroopers9

A free for all - take whatever spells you want, is not necessary for the sake of simplicity and speeding up the game.

Only choosing spells a given wizard would have access to is better IMO.

On the creatures of the warp though:
Daemons don't have access to super heavy vehicles (other than Khorn Lord of Battles and the Megalith), and their gargantuans have predetermined abilities. They aren't Apocalypse powerhouses anymore (loss of eternal warrior).
Daemons choosing certain abilities isn't a big deal. All of them getting FnP or Rend for instance, isn't game altering (especially when considering they'd be getting something else if not that)- substantially less so than allowing all psykers to choose their legally obtainable spells, which gives anyone with access to divination the much coveted Prescience and perhaps the 4+ invulnerable save spell (since we aren't using 6th 'Destroyer' rules, invul saves rock!).

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm

I don't get where people are getting this, No invul save versus destroyer hits. You ALWAYS get your invul. And it says saving throws (pg.17 BRB), which is the exact wording of any normal armor save 2+ to 6+. In fact Invul saves are in a completely different paragraph. then on Pg.17 of BRB it says "Invulnerable save are DIFFERENT to armor saves because they may ALWAYS be taken whenever the model suffers a wound - the armor piercing value of attacking weapons has no effect. Even if a wound ignores all armor saves, an invulnerable saving throw can still be taken."

Maybe it just me, but from that it still seems that you get your invul.

crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by crashcanuck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm

You still get invuls against D weapons this year but next when we use the current rules you don't, under D weapons it says you aren't allowed any saves of any kind, invulnerable save is a kind of save.