Prep'ing for the 'Pocalypse for large armies

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
jj3
Gold Vault Member

Re: Prep'ing for the 'Pocalypse for large armies

Post by jj3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am

kernbanks wrote:A question for the group... my Warlord just came in. being foam I know most spray paint is not the best idea. does anyone have any hints/tips/lessons learned for priming and painting foam. would have to have a titan manufactorium warlord become all bubbled and chaotic. No plague titans here.
Spray (airbrush or hand paint) a solid prime coat of acrylic paint, that will coat and seal it.

Just don't use any enamel or harsh thinners. Don't use spray paints unless you are 100% sure your primer covers everything - otherwise you will get a melted effect and have to play on the chaos side!
Last edited by jj3 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:45 am

But you don't know the power of the Dark Side!

Join us...

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Don't use spray paints on exposed foam!!! The propellant will eat the foam.

Use an airbrush - or use black paint and sponges to lay down a layer of acrylic paint first before using spray paint. Once you have covered any exposed foam then you can use aerosol-ized paint to your heart's content.

Krylon does make a spray paint that works with foam - the non-aerosol H2O line...however...it works terribly on any other surface, takes 2 days to dry, and is as runny as the condiments on my lunchtime hamburger (need to go change my shirt!).

Do yourself a favour and invest in a compressor and air brush. It will make life easier.
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 pm

I have one... but haven't mastered thinning the paints just yet. and the reaver and 5 warhounds are all in a combo of rattlecan colors... wanted to maintain some uniformity. It came based, but there were small spots where it wasn't primed. need to touch up, and for safety (protecting my investment) hit it again before busting out the rattle can
~Kernbanks

mongo8089
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by mongo8089 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Randolf

Just wanted to say that your article was excellent!

Ive experimented with the tool belt at some recent tournaments and found it useful.

So I look forward to seeing you down the table somewhere as we crush these xeno scum!

Cheers

Mongo8089 - Cold and Fast Soul Drinkers! -