Prep'ing for the 'Pocalypse for large armies

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Prep'ing for the 'Pocalypse for large armies

Post by Randolph » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

When I am preparing to play apocalypse these are some tips I use for high-speed Dice Rolling, and game playing with a large army, in order to stay within the 45 minute turn limitation:

1) I like to mark when a vehicle or unit, of mine, has fired all of it's weapons by putting a poker chip or some other marker to make it very clear. Each army will have many more vehicles and units than regular 40k playing so it is often easy to forget.

1a) I like to use a different colour poker chip to indicate when a unit needs to take a morale test - again, you can use anything you like.

2) I use glass beads (in the colour of my army) to visually indicate how many hull points remain on my smaller vehicles and I remove them when a hull point is taken.

3) For my titans I use laminated sheets of paper to indicate the hull and structure points and the weapons that have been affected. I use a picture of the titan for easier identification. I mark off the damage - like Warmahordes - using individual check boxes with a whiteboard marker. That way if anything comes back - like void shields - I can easily add and remove the mark I left.

3a) When rolling for weapon damage to my titans I will bring an 8-sided dice (for my Emperor) to randomize (6th ed) the weapons that are hit and a 4-sided dice (for my Warlord) to randomize the weapons that are hit. Once a few weapons have been knocked off then I will go back to a 6-sided dice. Whatever makes it easier when rolling.

4) I make sure that all of my templates are identified in some way or another - either by writing on them with permanent marker, painting them a different colour or adding something (in my case - bones) to the surface of the template.

5) Different coloured dice - when speed rolling for the Vengeance Cannons (or any multiple template shots) - I will place 4 different, coloured dice onto the target model or unit (I always face the "1" or single pip on top to indicate the center - this is something I borrowed from Warhammer when bouncing cannon shots through my opponents!) - I will then roll scatter dice of the four colours to quickly determine where the templates scatter. I roll all of the scatter dice at the same time and have my opponent choose which colour to move first.

5a) Also use multicoloured dice (as mentioned by Games Workshop) to indicate the different weapons being fired at different ballistic skill, weapon skill or different strength and AP. Please tell your opponent what each dice colour represents and then roll them all at once and quickly work out the results. But you already knew this!

6) I will be using a carpenter's belt to hold all of my dice, my templates, my measuring tape and my markers (poker chips, beads and whiteboard) so that I can always have everything ready for the game. But you can spice it up by bringing a T.A.C. vest or something else that has tonnes of pockets. Just remember where you put everything!

7) In the movement Phase, once deep strikers and flyers and compulsory moves are worked out, I like to work from left to right to make sure that everything has moved. Once I reach the end of my line of troops and vehicles then I know they have all been moved. This part of the game takes time - but don't rush it! I use a TAC template (GaleForce9) to ensure that distances are correct and that my troops are spread out correctly. I find a measuring tape is too bulky during this phase.

8) Finally, during the shooting phase, I like to work in this order: Psychic powers, biggest templates to smallest weapons, run moves. In this way, if I do run out of time, at least my big guns have fired and done their damage and my psychic powers have had their effect. If my troops don't gain those extra 6" (hah) running forward then they will just have to be disciplined later!!

9) Assault takes the longest. I hope my opponents are willing to roll their overwatch dice quickly so that I can get through all of my assault moves and not leave some of my troops flapping in the breeze waiting to assault. I will do the same for my opponents. Overwatch is new and will eat up a considerable amount of time in the game this year.

These are my tips. I hope some will help!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Prep'ing for the 'Pocalypse for large armies

Post by Vache Glace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:10 pm

9) Assault takes the longest. I hope my opponents are willing to roll their overwatch dice quickly so that I can get through all of my assault moves and not leave some of my troops flapping in the breeze waiting to assault. I will do the same for my opponents. Overwatch is new and will eat up a considerable amount of time in the game this year.

Pfft what is this assault of which you speak? There are only Strength D explosions.

No Teaser pic's this time!? Blasphemy!

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Vache Glace wrote:

Pfft what is this assault of which you speak? There are only Strength D explosions.

No Teaser pic's this time!? Blasphemy!
Sorry, mia culpa Vache!!

This should make you feel better. Note the Giant Squiggoth Bite on the right hip. Sometimes the local fauna can become a problem on planets where the Titan Legions train!

40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by FDARaptor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 am

Oh god, 3?

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

In the pic you can also see Phil's Emperor titan (bottom right). But these are the same two titans from last year. They are just getting a face lift; more detail applied and will be painted for the big game.

Another Emperor titan will not fit in my vehicle. So no! Just what you saw last year.
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am

Randolph wrote:In the pic you can also see Phil's Emperor titan (bottom right). But these are the same two titans from last year. They are just getting a face lift; more detail applied and will be painted for the big game.

Another Emperor titan will not fit in my vehicle. So no! Just what you saw last year.
Oh good, cause you know you would not want to go too over the top, right? Right!?
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 pm

I think next year I'll focus on building some more Warlords - yeah - that's what I'll do...

but in all seriousness, does anyone have any comments about the materials I wrote at the beginning of this article??? Any suggestions? Is the information I provided just common sense or is it useless? Please let me know.
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Randy,
Any chance you guys can be late again? 8) That was the only reason why I still had 3/4 of my army still on the board at the end of last years game, unfortunately though that meant I was sitting around for like half the time at last years apocalypticon. I also actually felt bad for your friend too. because he missed his chance to fire all the emperor's titans weapons.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 pm

No Chance! Last year was a scramble to get everything done. I took three years to build two Warlords - what the heck was I thinking trying to build an Emperor Titan in 1 year? Most of my models smelled of fresh paint on the Friday...

But...

This year... Mmmmm this year...delicious, deeeelicious Emperor Titan weapons. All primed and fully loaded! And a Titan Legion fully painted and ready to go! CAN"T YOU JUST TASTE IT!!

This year will be...awesome!!
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 pm

I think the basic message you are getting across, Randy, is to prioritize and not to get caught up with the explody goodness.

Naturally, players will need to tweak their approach dependent on what army they play, but it is good to have a system in place to move through everything. Especially when some of us nutjobs are looking at 200 or more models on the table at one time.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:13 am

I'm sitting at over 700 models. Most deploy in APC's and IA fortifications, only actually appearing on the field when their ride is destroyed, or I need them. Actual model count at any given time will be closer to 250- what I dealt with last year.
Actual model count by 5th turn- hopefully a fraction of 250 so packing up is snappy. :D

e.g a significant portion of my firewarriors will be sitting in some IA fortifications, along with all my broadsides and meat shield- I mean Kroot.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:27 am

bigoldfrog wrote:I'm sitting at over 700 models. Most deploy in APC's and IA fortifications, only actually appearing on the field when their ride is destroyed, or I need them. Actual model count at any given time will be closer to 250- what I dealt with last year.
Actual model count by 5th turn- hopefully a fraction of 250 so packing up is snappy. :D

e.g a significant portion of my firewarriors will be sitting in some IA fortifications, along with all my broadsides and meat shield- I mean Kroot.
Out of curiosity, how many riptides? I only ask, because I need to know how busy Celestine will be. She has shown a propensity for disposing of those guys...

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 pm

You want some more pain after the... uh... thrashing?... my guys inflicted last year in their massed death screams? The dust left over from all their melta'd bodies have been known to clog Inquisition filters.

3 Riptides. I'll be sure the platter they're served on is spotless. They were tricked into serving Chaos anyways.
"See, our symbol points in all directions. Just like you we embrace all, even the sorts no one else likes, such as daemons."
"We're on the other side of that galaxy, the Imperium of man between us. An alliance between us is treachery proof!"

Knightfall02
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Knightfall02 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:04 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:I'm sitting at over 700 models. Most deploy in APC's and IA fortifications, only actually appearing on the field when their ride is destroyed, or I need them. Actual model count at any given time will be closer to 250- what I dealt with last year.

ha have fun, I just counted my army I have 67 models. I might have a shot a most hull points though, I have 162.
7k TY: Hive Fleet Typhon
6k CD: Khornate Demons
"That which does not kill you has made a tactical error"

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:41 am

A question for the group... my Warlord just came in. being foam I know most spray paint is not the best idea. does anyone have any hints/tips/lessons learned for priming and painting foam. would have to have a titan manufactorium warlord become all bubbled and chaotic. No plague titans here.
~Kernbanks