Movement trays for large armies

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Movement trays for large armies

Post by Randolph » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm wondering if it would be okay to create movement trays for armies that have a large number of models? If they were based nicely and painted well, would that be okay? I have a bit of MDF board kicking around and I want to make use of it. so that I can more efficiently place models on the table.

What is your thinking on this?

Also, is there still a cap on the number of models we can bring? I remember in previous years that the cap was 200 models but I think you lifted that last year. Is there a cap this year?
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Re: Movement trays for large armies

Post by jj3 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

I'd be all for it, if you made it the same size as a 10" blast template and fit all your models, that would help considerably :)

Playing devils advocate, I could see some cheese with it if you were playing a horde type army, think of a green tide, you would have significantly faster setup and moving around versus normal 40k.

I'd think about slipping some sheet metal on the top so you could put a small magnet on the troops base, make it good for transport and play.

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

And I'm not sure how you'd fit all your titans onto a single movement tray, vertically maybe? :)

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Really strong magnets could be used to stick all of the titans to the emperor titan. Like an electro-magnet. Flip a switch and stick them on and be ready to catch them once that magnet is turned off.

Or maybe industrial velcro...oooh that's good too!!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Fri May 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I pray there are movement trays allowed; my zombies would be a nightmare to deploy otherwise.

Randolph, you faced my buddy last year; he had a green tide utilizing trays; do you remember if there were any problems with this or if you had any thoughts resulting from their use? My buddy's experience was that they ate a bomb breakfast, so he's happy he didn't spend overly long redeploying them for three turns.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 am

No, unfortunately movement trays are not allowed as they cause too many problems (interfering with other models and terrain for one, or two...).

As for model limit, we removed that limitation last year. There is no upper limit on number of models or number of points.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 am

No movement trays!? Ohhhhh boy... My zombies are going to have the most hectic slap dash deployment they've ever experienced. I better varnish spray them again.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:No movement trays!? Ohhhhh boy... My zombies are going to have the most hectic slap dash deployment they've ever experienced. I better varnish spray them again.
Well darn, moving 250 + necron warriors is really gonna suck...

I'm gonna design a holder that I can fit a 20 man warrior squad into, and when I set it on the table it just lifts off and they are all standing in formation. Kind of like the scene from Phantom menace when the droids get deployed by the carriers. This will help with deployment but I'm going to be out of luck when it comes time to move them all.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Look at an egg carton cut in half, it's about the right spacing, place models head down, have a piece of cardboard you place on the top, flip it over and slide the cardboard out then take the egg carton away.

It should make setting up 12 rather quick, though I've never tried it :)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Just means all you xenos players should go second. US Imperials will eliminate as much of the problem as possible. You know, because we are all friendly that way.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes, but think of all the ammunition you would save by going second!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat May 25, 2013 9:16 pm

jj3 wrote:Yes, but think of all the ammunition you would save by going second!
And deny you xenos our generous donation of ammunition! You guys need all the help you can get!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat May 25, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm thinking of gluing lead weights to the bottom of all my cannon fodder. I can heave the lot of them onto the table knowing they'll all right themselves upon landing. One sweep of the arm to move any trespassers back into my deployment area, and.... I could bid 30 seconds for my deployment time.