Apoc question

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
ryank
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Apoc question

Post by ryank » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 am

What book is more recognized is the form of point value for tanks and such? I have the Apoc books as well as the Imperial Armour Vol. 1 and both books have different points values for tanks and such.

Which book should I use?

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Re: Apoc question

Post by jj3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Is it Imperial Armor vol 1 - second edition? That one is setup for 6th edition point costs

The IA book has all the forge world special units in it, normally those aren't found in the GW Apoc books, unless it's something like a baneblade which is in both.

I usually favor the use of the GW apoc book points and options for something like a baneblade, it keeps things simple and more people tend to have the apoc book versus the IA books.

ryank
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ryank » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm

FORGE WORLD IMPERIAL ARMOUR SIXTH EDITION VEHICLE UPDATES also gives sentinels 2 hull points as well where other books do not.

The super heavy tanks have Titan Killer options on some of the guns as well and the GW books do not so not sure which entry to use when shooting the weapons as well.

Just trying to clarify anything I come across so not looking foolish when game time arrives.
Last edited by ryank on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryank
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ryank » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm

jj3 wrote:Is it Imperial Armor vol 1 - second edition? That one is setup for 6th edition point costs
Imperial Armour Vol. 1 Imperial Guard and Navy update 2008

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:58 pm

The super heavy "Shadowsword" is the variant with the Strength D weapon your probably looking for. It's a variation on the baneblade chassis with no turret, still a base of 450 points in the IA Apoc Vol 2 book. (page 100) You basically buy the base chassis with the main weapon, and then can add options like hull heavy bolters and such.

The other variants in the "Imperial Armor Apocalypse second edition" are in line at 450 or 500 base points. Pages 10-13

I make the assumption my opponent doesn't have the IA books, so I bring copies of the datasheets of anything that I use from those or other books. It keeps things moving to just pull out a single page with the data, rather than bring a box of books to dig through. I also have red and blue dice for my titans and super heavies, the red is structure points and blue for void shields, it keeps it fast and accurate for all involved.

If you have access to the IA Volume 1-2nd Ed, a lot of the IG vehicles have been updated with hull points to match 6th edition rules. On one hand that's good, on the other it adds complexity to something that's going to poof quickly. The turn time limit will just fly by, so anything that can be done to keep you and your opponent moving quickly keeps it more fun.

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm

The reason that some of the options have titan killer is because that is more for regular play(they also dont have the huge blasts.). As people have stated Imperial Armour 1 second editon is what you should use, as it replaced the original IA 1 and its updates, if you are using FW stuff. Also as stated if you want the specific rules for the FW apocalypse units, then IA apocalypse second edition is what you should be using. It also kind of stinks that we are doing it a month before when we typically scheduled Apocalypticon because there are many rumors pointing to GW releasing a new Apocalypse edition book in July, with apparently many updated datasheets for 6th. So point being is that you want to be using the rules either from the GW apocalypse books, or IA apocalypse second editon for the super heavy stats.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm

xtroopers9 wrote:The reason that some of the options have titan killer is because that is more for regular play(they also dont have the huge blasts.). As people have stated Imperial Armour 1 second editon is what you should use, as it replaced the original IA 1 and its updates, if you are using FW stuff. Also as stated if you want the specific rules for the FW apocalypse units, then IA apocalypse second edition is what you should be using. It also kind of stinks that we are doing it a month before when we typically scheduled Apocalypticon because there are many rumors pointing to GW releasing a new Apocalypse edition book in July, with apparently many updated datasheets for 6th. So point being is that you want to be using the rules either from the GW apocalypse books, or IA apocalypse second editon for the super heavy stats.
I second the disappointment that we will miss out on the new Apoc. rules, too. Especially considering it will likely update a large number of data sheets and formations. Who knows, though, maybe it will be a simple enough update we can sway opinion to use it...

After all, apoc. as it currently exists is not that much more complex than a regular game of 40k...
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am

Can I load 10 Thunderwolves into my Caestus Assault Ram? The models on the thunderwolves meet the "Special" requirements of the misericord rules for the Caestus but I'm wondering if that is over-the-top?
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm

@ Randolph -

As a humble opponent, go right ahead. That'd be funny/ awesome, seeing 10 TWC's dropping from the sky, slaughtering one of my unsuspecting (enter name here).

It's definitely not over the top (for Apocalypticon), considering for the same amount of points you could get a Warhound Titan, a bio titan, etc.
Rules as written I assume it's ok (Power Armour toting, bulky models, or are they very bulky?)
Last year such a combo would have been lethal; able to drop anywhere on the entire battlefield, first turn assaulting before the enemy had time to react. This year they're confined to an area, cannot charge before the enemy has reacted, and people will be bringing a lot more anti-air, as well as their own air power to engage the Caestus.

For me at least, it would be an exciting addition to a table's battle; having to shoot down this plane, or suffer the terrible, terrible consequences.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Cool - that makes things much more interesting!!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

I always liked the idea of rough riders charging out of the front of a thunderhawk, can't remember where I first saw the idea, I think it was a pic with guardsmen coming out.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."