Fluff or force?

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Fluff or force?

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

So, I have been working hard to get everything ready for this year's game, and I have come to an interesting (at least in my mind) impasse. Do I want to field an army of force, or of fluff?

What I mean by this is that I could throw down each one of the special characters, a couple librarians, some grand masters, and metric tonne of purifiers and paladins, and that is just for the Grey Knights element. Or, I could go the fluff route and do a proper brotherhood of grey knights, with Grand Master, librarian, Captain and hero and then appropriate numbers of purifier's, strike squads, paladin and termies...

On one hand, one would create a fun narrative element to my table, crafting stories of the 5th brotherhood's participation in the coming fight, aiding the beleaguered forces of the Sisters of Battle and Deathwatch. Or, I can lay down over whelming force.

Any thoughts?
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Re: Fluff or force?

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Aegis wrote:Any thoughts?
Convert to Chaos. :)

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 pm

As long as you have fun with it, that's what really counts. Unfortunately based on a number of the other threads for this year, many people are leaning to maximizing templates and power to win at all costs.

In my mind, a single table won't really make or break the overall war, but it could create lasting memories if it's more fluff. My tau all have a backstory, I was light on troops my first round there and I have no idea how the new codex will shake out, but because I had a bunch of rail guns over half my army was gone 1st turn before I could even move. Still had fun though, it was a hard fight where I was at till the stompa's next to me made some critical repair and save rolls.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:
Aegis wrote:Any thoughts?
Convert to Chaos. :)
Truth.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 am

Fluff. Win with that you get props, lose but fight to the bitter end you get props.
'Power'. Win with that no one cares, lose with that and the less mature snicker. But a win is more likely.
At tournaments at least this seems to be the case.
If at all possible, bring everything. Last year I dumped 3-4k of stuff just to be obliterated... though being a 'bad guy' I don't have much attachment to my troops.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:49 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:Fluff. Win with that you get props, lose but fight to the bitter end you get props.
'Power'. Win with that no one cares, lose with that and the less mature snicker. But a win is more likely.
At tournaments at least this seems to be the case.
If at all possible, bring everything. Last year I dumped 3-4k of stuff just to be obliterated... though being a 'bad guy' I don't have much attachment to my troops.
I definitely like this way of thinking. In all the previous years, I tended towards overwhelming force. While the game was still enjoyable, it was almost clinical.

I think I will look more into the fluffy list possibilities.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:39 pm

This thought just hit me, with Tau being all for the greater good, just think that suddenly they ally with the GK's to attack the chaos daemons on the next table because they were stomping things and creating a wasteland (and smelled bad)!

:)

Translated into game rules, 1 player on each side will "turncoat" on a specific turn, or have some neutral players who are guarding the objective both sides want, but once attacked will join the opposite team...

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 am

There should be some amazing narrative opportunities in this game... it will be my first, I am pretty heavy treadhead so tanks are aplenty... but attempting to round out more and more troops to balance things out a bit.
~Kernbanks

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm

The only issue with troops in this Apoc game, you need a bucket standing by. You place all of them carefully, then during the shooty phase of the opponents turn you quickly take half off the table and sweep them into the bucket :) Rinse repeat!

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 pm

ahh yes... foam padded bucket and doubling the clear coat
~Kernbanks

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 pm

I think the fluff should follow the battle - I've talked about this in previous years. If your heroic senior officer dies in a spectacular fashion then the troops were either A) Inspired by his bravery, B) Scared to the point of running away or C) Responsible for his death due to some cunning plan they had cooked up. If you are bringing allies, then maybe the allies don't really get along and if one allied leader gets chopped down then this could be the work of the other allied leader. For Tyrranids it is always the will of the hive mind when something bad happens.
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:42 am

@ Randolph

Hell, even for Orks it's as likely 'The will of the hive mind' when something bad happens, as anything else.