9 Inch Dreamforge Leviathans

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
mongo8089
Now we're getting somewhere...

9 Inch Dreamforge Leviathans

Post by mongo8089 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello MWG Community

I saw earlier that a poster had wanted to use their smaller leviathan models with the Knight Paladin rules -awesome thanks for giving him the thumbs up!-

What I would like to do is run the full size version as the kits have just recently come out. Given that they are within an inch of a warhound I believe it would work to run with those rules from the apoc book. With the addition of the reaver titan CCW rules. As for the giant gatling gun... can it be a turbo laser destructor?

Please let me know so that I can get down to planning and have them painted and ready.

cheers all

Mongo

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Re: 9 Inch Dreamforge Leviathans

Post by kernbanks » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I hope those 3x 15mm scale ones I ordered from the kickstarter get here in time for assembly and paint
~Kernbanks

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm

I would almost bet MWG will come back and say "Pick one", as trying to combine a warhound plus reaver weapon would be chaos to your opponent, and how do you pick how many additional points it would be?

Keep it simple, it will be D templated to oblivion in the first turn anyway :)

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Agree with jj3, run it as a Reaver... I believer there is a variant without the top carapace weapon.
~Kernbanks

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:21 pm

kernbanks wrote:Agree with jj3, run it as a Reaver... I believer there is a variant without the top carapace weapon.
Reaver is 1450 with 3 weapons, Warhound is 750 with 2 (and no CC option). My FW warhounds legs are just over 8" tall, so this model at 8.5" (28mm variant) is about half as tall, and using the height as a guide it's only about 1/3 the width.

If I was your opponent and you were counting it as a reaver or even a warhound, I'd be pretty pissed. I would offer a suggestion that you just use the knight rules for these models as that is already approved and a much more fair representation of the models size.

This is the link I'm using for comparision:
http://www.dreamforge-games.com/catalog ... cts_id=204

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 am

I'm likely just weird- rather I certainly am. I couldn't care too much if it isn't size appropriate. If it's bigger than the rest of the regular stuff in your army, and you're not repeating this with multiple different models, then at least for me I wouldn't find it detracting or distracting from the battle.

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

I'd say it's not too far off for a Warhound, as a Reaver it would be pushing it quite a bit.

This is from the original resin release, but I believe the plastic is of the same size.

Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by crashcanuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm planning to run 2 of them as warhounds, but I have additional gun arms coming with mine from the kickstarter, so I don't see why here would be a problem with this

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the Leviathan is rather ugly? Not trying to be down on the thing, but I just do not like the look of it...
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

crashcanuck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by crashcanuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

As an addition to my earlier post, the giant Gatling guns will be used as vulkan mega-bolters for mine and the additional gun arms I have coming will be a turbolaser destructor and a plasma blastgun

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 am

It is far more "knight" than titan... but not a big deal. Make datsheets you think are fiar and Matt will give thumbs up / down
~Kernbanks

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am

IMHO It would make a kickbutt Grey Knight titan y'know from Titan. It's Titanception (I'm sorry I'm bad)
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 am

Except that GK doesn't have any titans, they are only for the Legios within the guard.

So if your keeping the cheese, put IG as an ally.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 am

The Titan Legions (Legios) are part of the Mechanicium... Because GW hasn't made an Adeptus Mechanicius list Titans and some other super heavies have fallen under IG.

And there is no hard and fast confirmation that the Mechanicius doesn't have a Titan Legion that is in direct support to the Grey Knights...
~Kernbanks

mongo8089
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by mongo8089 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello All

Thanks for the posts!

I have reached out to Matt and have a thumbs up to run it as a Warhound albeit with 1 ranged and 1 ccw.

There is a comparison shot on the net showing a finished leviathan beside a warhound and a reaver. The production unit is almost as tall as the warhound it just doesnt have the depth.

The great thing about the kit is that you can buy multiple arms as the lucky poster above noted who got in on the kickstarter.

Lastly I think that the kit lends itself quite easily for a choas conversion.

Now its a matter of ducking all the D templates.

Cheers all see you at the event

Mongo