Fate of Apocalypticon

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Fate of Apocalypticon

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Given all the, for lack of a less family appropriate word, unpleasantness that has occurred, how will this effect Apocalypticon?

Is it still planned to go on, or given the situation, is it going to be revised? I suppose much depends on how many people have signed up for the event, and whether or not Black Knight Games is still participating.

I know I am not alone in anticipating the game (As well as seeing many familiar faces), and hope that we still get one last hurrah.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Nightmare01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Fate of Apocalypticon

Post by Nightmare01 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes I am also concerned with whether or not Apocalypticon will continue or not.

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm sure we will get clarification over the next few days, but I'd be surprised to see this year's event cancelled.

Apocalypticon is a content generating event, and with MWG moving more towards content and less from retail sales it would seem odd to cut the event. A single 2 day event was about a months worth of content last year. If anything, a better question would be 'Is there a chance for more events now?'

Keep in mind, it is done in concert with Black Knight Games in Hamilton, and I believe they are still going strong, new store this year if I heard correctly. So it may turn into a BKG event.
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 pm

xzandrate wrote:I'm sure we will get clarification over the next few days, but I'd be surprised to see this year's event cancelled.

Apocalypticon is a content generating event, and with MWG moving more towards content and less from retail sales it would seem odd to cut the event. A single 2 day event was about a months worth of content last year. If anything, a better question would be 'Is there a chance for more events now?'

Keep in mind, it is done in concert with Black Knight Games in Hamilton, and I believe they are still going strong, new store this year if I heard correctly. So it may turn into a BKG event.
I would hope that, if it continues, it would still be done jointly. I want to see MWG keep going strong, and as you mentioned, this is fantastic content.

Hmm... Maybe with a more content oriented approach, maybe we will see it become bi-annual... I could get behind that...

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Aegis, I don't think this will have as great an effect on Apocalypticon as you might think. The closing of the online store does not mean the closing of the website. Nor does this stop Welland and area and Hamilton and area gamers from purchasing from these two stores. The only difficulty will be in how we purchase our tickets for Apocalypticon after June 15th. As long as everyone still has their passion for gaming, in the Warhammer 40k universe, then Apocalypticon will continue.

You and I have been participating in these games since the 80,000 pt Apocalypticon - and we keep coming back. Why? Probably not because of the retail policies of Games Workshop™©®. Probably because these massive games are exciting, vivid, fast, spectacular, resonating and filled with the carnage and destruction that got us into table-top gaming in the first place.

Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it and chamfing-at-the-bit to see these battles in video. I also know that since we started participating in these battles the Imperium has lost two times and we finally won last year. I want to keep the winning trend going - so I'm going to do my part and continue to participate! Sorry Xenos players but this is not your year for winning - next year doesn't look so good either :)

I know that Miniwargaming and Black Knight Games put an awful lot of work into preparing this battle. They do this for their players and because they also love the game (and because the content that is generated is not bad either). Apocalypticon will continue as long as there are wargamers interested in the 40k universe.

Games Workshop™©® should pay attention!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 am

Hear,hear, Randy. I have little doubt you are right. I am simply a paranoid fellow.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 am

Apocalypticon will NOT be cancelled, exactly for all the reasons stated here.

We will still have our online store, but only for Dark Potential, magnets, and event tickets, so you can still buy them online.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the update. I figured that would likely be the case, but as previously stated I am a paranoid bugger.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:40 am

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it and chamfing-at-the-bit to see these battles in video. I also know that since we started participating in these battles the Imperium has lost two times and we finally won last year. I want to keep the winning trend going - so I'm going to do my part and continue to participate! Sorry Xenos players but this is not your year for winning - next year doesn't look so good either :)"

I'd love to say 'No bloody way Xenos is losing again' but the first year I show up, we lose. Sadface

It heartens me beyond words to see that this event will continue.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it and chamfing-at-the-bit to see these battles in video. I also know that since we started participating in these battles the Imperium has lost two times and we finally won last year. I want to keep the winning trend going - so I'm going to do my part and continue to participate! Sorry Xenos players but this is not your year for winning - next year doesn't look so good either :)"

I'd love to say 'No bloody way Xenos is losing again' but the first year I show up, we lose. Sadface

It heartens me beyond words to see that this event will continue.
I actually think it has more to do with who goes first. So far, every year, whichever team has gone first has lost.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:09 pm

'I actually think it has more to do with who goes first. So far, every year, whichever team has gone first has lost.'

Nope. It's because my suxxor'ness is contagious. I'm hanging around the Imperial team prior to the event, to ensure Xenos victory. :)

Incredible observation on going first = losing. Any ideas on why this might be the case? With last year's jostling for 'first strike', I'd of thought going first was a huge advantage.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:'I actually think it has more to do with who goes first. So far, every year, whichever team has gone first has lost.'

Nope. It's because my suxxor'ness is contagious. I'm hanging around the Imperial team prior to the event, to ensure Xenos victory. :)

Incredible observation on going first = losing. Any ideas on why this might be the case? With last year's jostling for 'first strike', I'd of thought going first was a huge advantage.
Well, we have hardly had enough games to draw any substantial conclusions, but if I were to guess...

Perhaps first turn breeds over confidence? The first turn brings substantial benefits in that they get the opening salvo, and can potential cripple the other side of the board with some good rolls (especially if you happen to have a large amount of D Templates).

However, when going second, that almost encourages more a denied flank style of deployment. In response to going second, perhaps the other player holds more back to bring things on via reserve, thus mitigating the alpha strike potential. Of course, if against an army that really needs to get in your face, this might not be too viable. If given a lot of flying transports or deep strike, going heavily into the reserve deployment can be negate the first turn advantage.

However, this leads to a question which I will repost in the house rules. I wonder if we will be using the rule regarding losing if nothing is left on the table and reserves have not entered...

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Aegis wrote: However, this leads to a question which I will repost in the house rules. I wonder if we will be using the rule regarding losing if nothing is left on the table and reserves have not entered...
Well, I could see this rule being applied if the entire "other side" was wiped, but not for a single opponent.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:53 pm

@ Aegis

Makes sense. Perhaps this year won't be two teams bidding 5 minutes after all?!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 pm

bigoldfrog wrote:@ Aegis

Makes sense. Perhaps this year won't be two teams bidding 5 minutes after all?!
I like 30 minutes. Nice and leisurely... But then, I will have a fortress and intend to whether anything that comes at me...