Non-GW data sheets

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Non-GW data sheets

Post by kernbanks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm working on a conversion or two, a couple Knight Titans (pending the arrival of my DreamForge 15mm Leviathan models) and then a Leviathan command track. Coming from a heavy EPIC background I am looking to field these but what datasheets are used for these in Apocalypticon?

I am looking for a blank datasheet and will put some thoughts for the leviathan down - I have three I have found online but none have the feel I am looking for.

What's the best way to share ideas on this?
~Kernbanks

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Re: Non-GW data sheets

Post by bigoldfrog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm

The Leviathon, isn't that the 'city sized command tank' described in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels? I vaguely remember using one in that Epic 40k computer game from the late 90's.

It was outfitted with a Quake cannon, banks of lascannons on either side, and banks of heavy bolters, as well as a prodigious transport capacity? Assuming non-GW datasheets can't be used at Apocalypticon, then using the stats of a Reaver or Warlord; given a Quake cannon, a Vulcan Heavy Bolter, and a Turbo Laser Destructor? It'd be missing the transport capacity though..
If it was big enough, you could make in an Emperor; then you'd have the transport capacity too.

Assuming it was big and eye candy, I'd enjoy facing such a proxy. No idea what MWG's policy on such proxy's are.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Basically any non-GW datasheets should be emailed to me for approval. Try as much as you can to find a GW-approved datasheet that would be a close equivalent, and if it doesn't quite work, modify it and email me.

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 pm

What kind of "fluff" do we need to base this on? Anything we can find epic rules for?

And just to confirm, email matthew@miniwargaming?
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm

sounds like an awesome solution...

As for the Leviathan - it appeared in both Imperial and (look one way) (look the other) (check under seat) Squat Epic forces. It is based on the same chassis footprint as a BaneBlade but was build much taller and more robust (basically a Titan on tracks - with a transport capacity). The Main-gun was the Doomsday cannon, it had a battle cannon on top, banks of lascannons (6) and bolters (12) on the sides to fend off infantry, and 30 stands (5 per stand, so about 150 troops).

I sent my idea in to Matt, when he gets back I will post - or he can share. There are three other Leviathan datasheets floating around the interwebs... all are pretty close. My recommendation went off the Reaver (@bigoldfrog) but traded the third titan weapon for those side mounted LCs/HBs and 55 troop transport - want it to transport a platoon with it's command squad riding on top.

The Colossus and Cyclops were the Squat, and were their Titan equivalents.

I still play epic as often as I can find players... mostly family events. Once I find a blank datasheet format I will make come pretty ones and share somewhere.
~Kernbanks

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

@ Kernbanks

Your wish is my hopkins' command:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... asheet.pdf

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm

@bigoldfrog
I was looking for that...
~Kernbanks

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 pm

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxo4R ... G55YjNnakU

You could use these rules, only downside is that it would be immobile, and you dont have the banks of lascannons, but it does give you the "quake" cannon, the heavy bolters, and the anti air mounts. Also because it is a "building" you could assign it a transport compacity and have units be on the out side, like on top.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 am

Matt said send him the datasheet and he would thumbs up or thumbs down it. I just created a imgur page with three datasheets I found for Leviathans and then mine. (http://imgur.com/a/Xu0bH#0)

I based off the Reaver Titan (one without an image as mine is still in the drawing phase of the build), instead of three Titan Weapons it used the full power Plasma Blast Gun option to stand in for the Doomsday Cannon. A Baneblade cannon subs in as a second Titan Weapon. The Third weapon & Close Combat ability are traded for transport 55, 6 LC, and 6 TL-HB.

The others I've found are always much larger - include anti-air and free strategic assets. While all interesting and fun I really wanted to keep this beast similar to the Leviathan as described on 60 of the Warlords Supplement (Ork and Squat) to the epic scale Space Marine game of the 90s.

Enjoy
~Kernbanks

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:41 pm

To everyone... forgot to mention I got the thumbs up from Matt. The sheet without a photo is approved. So my project has more gas behind it again... motivational.
~Kernbanks

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 am

Excellent to hear. If your model looks anywhere near as good as the ones in the link, it'll be a treat for everyone.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 am

fingers crossed
~Kernbanks

Nightmare01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Nightmare01 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am

I've been working on this one for a while, going to be sending it off to Matt for approval.

I'm using the little known Land Raider variant, the Ares this year, got one built, working on the other 2 :D

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Land_Raider_Ares
that's a link to the info on it, and GW did have a data sheet for it hosted, but it's not up anymore, thankfully I have an actual copy of the reference sheet :D

And this is the formation I've made for them:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4417_n.jpg

And if you can't read it, here it is in text form:

FORMATION: ARMOURED LINE BREAKER

DESCRIPTION:
After the Dark Angel’s Master Techmarine submitted the newly created Ares pattern to the Adeptus Mechanicus on Mars, it has never officially been accepted as a viable variant of the Land Raider. Thus it is one of the rarest Land Raiders. However in a very few cases other chapters Techmarines have acquired the plans detailed by the Dark Angels Techmarines and have used them to create the Ares for situations that might call for its use.

Such chapters include that of the Imperial Fists’ successor, the Iron Knights, who excel at siege warfare. They have improved upon the Dark Angel’s design with the creation of a specialized formation to utilize the destructive force of the Ares’ Demolisher cannon. Acting as the chapter’s vanguard, both as an Armoured spearhead and as a Vindicator Line breaker formation; engaging the enemy where it’s strongest, clearing a path for tactical and assault squads to penetrate the enemy lines.

FORMATION:
3+ Ares tanks
0-3 Vindicator tanks
One Ares must be designated as the command tank.

SPECIAL RULES:
Strike Force: All units in the Armoured Line Breaker Squadron must be deployed within 6” of the command tank, or, if coming on from reserve, they must enter the table within 6” of the point entered by the command tank.

Command Tank: As long as the command tank is mobile, any tank in the formation within 6" of it (including the command tank itself) may ignore Crew Shaken results on the damage tables.

Combined Fire: If three of more Ares' or Vindicator's in the formation fire at the same target, resolve the shots as a single Strength 10, AP 2, ordnance shot, using the 10” Apocalyptic Blast marker. If the hold in the centre of the blast marker lands over a terrain feature (building, bunker, fortification or wood, for example) it is destroyed on the roll of a 4+ (replace it with suitable debris). For each additional Ares or Vindicator after the third that combines its fire upon the target, add +1 to the roll to determine whether the terrain features is destroyed.

Models within a destroyed terrain feature suffer 1 wound on the roll of a 4+ (Saving throws are allowed) and each unit must take a pinning test. Vehicles automatically suffer a glancing hit.

So, thoughts on it?

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am

Where do we find the email to send requests to? I've got one sheet I'd like to send, but don't see it on his profile.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted