General Apocalypse Strategy

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

General Apocalypse Strategy

Post by Vache Glace » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 am

Hi there, I have written here a general synopsis of some of the strategies I like to use when playing Apocalyticon-esque games. Hopefully, this will help you in your future battles!

Some of these are in game tactics while others require pregame planning and overall army schematics. If you have any other ideas feel free to add on.

1. Formations, yadda, yadda, yadda … win.
Take a look at every formation available for your armies. You might find that you have a lot of the needed models and the benefits of taking cet formations are usually quite amazing. Here are some formations that I think are good yet I rarely see them being taken:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... e-Host.pdf
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... Rokkit.pdf
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... weaver.pdf

These are Xenos examples but there are many MEQ datasheets that are quite good. I suggest reading up on all your available options before planning your army.

2. Objectivus for the rest of us!
Objectives are just as valuable (if not more) than taking out your opponent’s superheavies. Having a plan with dedicated units (that can survive late game S D templates and other super strong attacks) is just as important as having strong units that can fell baneblades in a single swoop.

3. Apoc only weapons now, insanity later.
Be prepared to deal with apoc style weaponry. When a million strength D-10 ap 1-2 shots come at you, you need to figure out how to survive. This is part of the fun of apocalypse as basically everything is going to get annihilated at some point but having a plan just in case (and upgrading accordingly) can make your army that much better.

4. These invul saves are making me thirsty!
If any unit (and I mean any, regardless of relative points cost) can take an invul save then take it. Invul saves usually mean a great deal when things go boom near you. Having entire units wiped when you could have had a 1/6 or 1/3 chance of survival is not good strategy. Cover and armour are not enough when you footslog across the table.

5. What’s the deal with all this superheavy placement?

Because superheavies explode even more spectacularly with apocalypticon rules their relative placement on your side of the board is very important. Unless you plan on everything around them getting instagibbed you should give yourself some room for explosions.

6. Well, I played my squishy units, the squishy units bounced, and now my Nana is missing.

If you have a lot of squishy units that are not meatshielding on purpose put them in reserve. There are generally far too many S D 6d6 etc. type explosions going on the table. Have a purpose for every unit regardless of how

7. Wait… What’s that thing straight ahead of you? Is it anything? Is that Mothra?

Be prepared to take out anything across from you. With allies now in the picture armies will be more diverse than ever. Being able to take out 100 terminators, 50 chimeras, 300 orks, 500 gaunts, or 2 emperor titans is something you can plan for with your weapons load out.

8. Don’t bank on going first, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

If you have to go first to win you’re likely not going to anyway. This why reserves exist. Have a plan for going first and have a plan for going second. This could include footslogging vs. mucho deepstriking, deploying behind or in front of your moveable cover, which units go in which transports, etc.. Going second really is not that bad if you plan for it beforehand.

I know this is kind of a rambly thread but I was bored when I got home from work. +1 internets if you get the in-jokes. Let me know what you think!

I think a lot of things will be changing soon. GW has taken down the direct links to the vast majority of the apoc datasheets. Methinks a new edition is inbound.

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Re: General Apocalypse Strategy

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 pm

My buddy who plays Orks/ 'Crons says (he's a technophobe or he'd type it himself):

The formation 'Da Green Tide' is amazing for what it does at 75 measly points. It swiftly (for foot sloggers) gets a massive number of Orks across the board, and all these orks move the same distance so movement trays can be used. They're fearless, they have move through cover, and other boyz units that decide to flee join them.
To make the 'Tide work he says:
1) It's only real purpose is a Ghanzkull delivery mechanism. A Ghanz' with a 2++ save and eternal warrior every turn! As long as Ghanz' lives, who cares how many orks die!
2) Other fleeing units within 48" join it. This can be a huge advantage for you; suddenly the 'Tide is lead by Ghanz' and 4 Bosses with Powerklaws.

Not being an Ork player, I can't add much to his wisdom.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Yea the green tide is another fun one. The only problem with it is that is has to be one giant unit. If you could split them up a bit it'd be much better.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Formations are the only place where you can get strategic assets in Apocalypticon, but make sure you review the House rules to see if your formation is available. I know Vache is still hurting because of one formation he is not allowed to take.

Flyers are going to be a huge part of the game this year, so be ready to knock those suckers out of the sky!!

If you are not sitting on an objective by turn 3 then you had better have a good plan! Sneaky Eldar can get there in one turn, but can your footslogging units make it by turn 5? And, if you happen to take out a super-heavy on the way to that objective - more power to you.

Expect many more D strength templates this year. I have been following the forums and there are many more scratch builders out there - it may rain emperor titans this year!!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Randolph wrote:Formations are the only place where you can get strategic assets in Apocalypticon, but make sure you review the House rules to see if your formation is available. I know Vache is still hurting because of one formation he is not allowed to take.

Flyers are going to be a huge part of the game this year, so be ready to knock those suckers out of the sky!!

If you are not sitting on an objective by turn 3 then you had better have a good plan! Sneaky Eldar can get there in one turn, but can your footslogging units make it by turn 5? And, if you happen to take out a super-heavy on the way to that objective - more power to you.

Expect many more D strength templates this year. I have been following the forums and there are many more scratch builders out there - it may rain emperor titans this year!!
I have no problem with that this year, since super heavies can now get glanced to death. If I really wanted too I just bring 4 royal courts, each with 5 Stormteks, and plop em in Night scythes. They would then get flown up into the titans shields and dropped off. That would be 80 shots that hit about 66% of the time(3+), and on a 2+ guarantee a glance. In one shooting phase I could potentially down a 4k titan with 500pts of models in 1 shooting phase. That's just if I wanted to, probably won't because Its just such a bad thing to do.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Randolph wrote:Flyers are going to be a huge part of the game this year, so be ready to knock those suckers out of the sky!!
Agreed... especially super heavy fliers with D weapons - Thunderhawks. Could definitely see those being very difficult to brig down and they can hit pretty hard. Might need to start building some Sabre platforms for good measure.
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

kernbanks wrote:
Randolph wrote:Flyers are going to be a huge part of the game this year, so be ready to knock those suckers out of the sky!!
Agreed... especially super heavy fliers with D weapons - Thunderhawks. Could definitely see those being very difficult to brig down and they can hit pretty hard. Might need to start building some Sabre platforms for good measure.
especially considering templates no longer have this half strength shenanigans if not under the centre of the template. My Thunderhawk shall reign supreme!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm

I have no problem with that this year, since super heavies can now get glanced to death.
Yeah - I'm hoping the new Apocalypse rules will be out early in July and that GW has accounted for glancing hits and super heavies. Having grots sitting back and glancing my Baneblade to death would make me very sad. :cry:

It would be nice if only AP1 and AP2 weapons could glance or penetrate a superheavy. That would make the most sense for me.
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Jag
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Jag » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 am

Randolph wrote:I'm hoping the new Apocalypse rules will be out early in July and that GW has accounted for glancing hits and super heavies. Having grots sitting back and glancing my Baneblade to death would make me very sad. :cry:
even if it were to be released, most likely Matt wouldn't use it, until at least some months after its release, just so people could get a chance to get use to it before going big time. similar to what he did with 6th edition last year.
Army - Wins/Losses:
Trollbloods - 22/2
Mercenaries - 4/0
Cygnar - 3/1

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Jag wrote:
Randolph wrote:I'm hoping the new Apocalypse rules will be out early in July and that GW has accounted for glancing hits and super heavies. Having grots sitting back and glancing my Baneblade to death would make me very sad. :cry:
even if it were to be released, most likely Matt wouldn't use it, until at least some months after its release, just so people could get a chance to get use to it before going big time. similar to what he did with 6th edition last year.
I think a lot of it would depend on much is different. There have been many rumours that Apoc and regular 40k are becoming much more amalgamated. If so, the general community would not need that much time between release and use to use.

As a case in point, look at Apoc. as it is now vs. the regular game. There are not that many differences to the core rules in apoc., besides the elimination of the FOC, the addition of assets and formations and super heavies. Besides that, the game runs very similarly to that of the regular game. Now consider how many additions have come and gone since apoc. was introduced.

I, for one, would be all for using new rules if they in fact come out. I would also be okay with using current rules. However, I would like to make a motion to house rule glancing hits on Super heavies, as I am with Randaloph in that it seems weird a super heavy can be glanced to oblivion...

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:41 am

Aegis wrote:
Jag wrote:
I think a lot of it would depend on much is different. There have been many rumours that Apoc and regular 40k are becoming much more amalgamated. If so, the general community would not need that much time between release and use to use.

As a case in point, look at Apoc. as it is now vs. the regular game. There are not that many differences to the core rules in apoc., besides the elimination of the FOC, the addition of assets and formations and super heavies. Besides that, the game runs very similarly to that of the regular game. Now consider how many additions have come and gone since apoc. was introduced.

I, for one, would be all for using new rules if they in fact come out. I would also be okay with using current rules. However, I would like to make a motion to house rule glancing hits on Super heavies, as I am with Randaloph in that it seems weird a super heavy can be glanced to oblivion...
I would have a problem with that bcs as funny as it sounds necrons don't really have That much ap 1 or 2 weapons I mean there is the heatray, gauss cannon (not melta) and then there are the eldritch lance but they aren't melta. The only destroyer weapon we can get is on the pylon and if we took away the glancing on superheavies I'm not sure how I would reliably kill superheavies. Plus since that is an actual apoc thing now it doesn't make sense to ignore. I also don't have access to any super heavies that could help reliably fight other superheavies. Just my two cents.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:04 pm

xtroopers9 wrote: I would have a problem with that bcs as funny as it sounds necrons don't really have That much ap 1 or 2 weapons I mean there is the heatray, gauss cannon (not melta) and then there are the eldritch lance but they aren't melta. The only destroyer weapon we can get is on the pylon and if we took away the glancing on superheavies I'm not sure how I would reliably kill superheavies. Plus since that is an actual apoc thing now it doesn't make sense to ignore. I also don't have access to any super heavies that could help reliably fight other superheavies. Just my two cents.
In all fairness, Necron's are not the only ones who have an issue with higher value AV. Even in some imperial cases, while melta is abundant, delivery systems are not always. Unlike Sternguard in droppods with melta spam...

I digress, though...

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Aegis wrote:
xtroopers9 wrote: I would have a problem with that bcs as funny as it sounds necrons don't really have That much ap 1 or 2 weapons I mean there is the heatray, gauss cannon (not melta) and then there are the eldritch lance but they aren't melta. The only destroyer weapon we can get is on the pylon and if we took away the glancing on superheavies I'm not sure how I would reliably kill superheavies. Plus since that is an actual apoc thing now it doesn't make sense to ignore. I also don't have access to any super heavies that could help reliably fight other superheavies. Just my two cents.
In all fairness, Necron's are not the only ones who have an issue with higher value AV. Even in some imperial cases, while melta is abundant, delivery systems are not always. Unlike Sternguard in droppods with melta spam...

I digress, though...
That contributes to the fact that we should keep glances on Super heavies for your reason above. For armies that can't reliably get the weapons there, in most cases there only other option would be to try to glance it to death.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 am

Just a note: We will not be nerfing the glancing of super heavies.

Anything that slows down things dying is just wrong in Apocalypse. ;)

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

Darn, there goes that happy thought that I was holding onto.

Now I'll have to do this the hard way! Gone are the days when I could just show up with two Warlord titans and expect to survive the game :lol:
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue