What I'm thinking of bringing

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Re: What I'm thinking of bringing

Post by kernbanks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 pm

My book is still in the mail, yaya... but I've heard costs went down across the board and troop daemons are much cheaper. Truth to that? Ever codex revision always changes things, I like the rumor (to me) that the Chaos Gods once again hate eachother.
~Kernbanks

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

@ Marit Lage
Vache Glace is sage, I was being sarcastic- Gav doesn't work for GW anymore. In his illustrious past though he created the 4th edition CSM 'dex, possibly the worst ever written imo. I was stuck with that Codex for years.
And if my words sparked ire, likely because they're so similar to all the hate rantings on the net, my apologies. I actually do not care if the 'Dex is 'top tier' or not, so long as I'm excited to use my very expensive models.

On that: I just got the Daemons Codex. Losing Eternal Warrior sucks, I think taking it away from Greater Daemons is a mistake. Not having to deepstrike everything is great though, and the army overall feels more daemonic now (so much randomness). No one seems to think the new daemons are uber cheeze, yet they'll get bent over less than they use to, so I am excited.

@ kernbanks
The troops are cheaper. You could go semi-horde if you wanted to.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 am

Vache Glace wrote:
Marit Lage wrote:
bigoldfrog wrote:They took away Eternal Warrior from Greater Daemons as well!?!? Oh nos... Stupid GW.

Who wrote the book, Gav Thorp?!
No. Phil Kelly. You should read the codex before whining.
umm..... it was obviously sarcasm.

And if losing EW on a 300+ point model isn't a reason to complain, what is?
Said models are toughness 6/7, and they'll beat 95% percent of things with instant death weaponry to a bloody pulp. For apocalypse, however, I can see your reasoning. But I make it a point to not play people who are fond of destroyer spam, so it isn't too much of an issue for me.
bigoldfrog wrote:@ Marit Lage
Vache Glace is sage, I was being sarcastic- Gav doesn't work for GW anymore. In his illustrious past though he created the 4th edition CSM 'dex, possibly the worst ever written imo. I was stuck with that Codex for years.
And if my words sparked ire, likely because they're so similar to all the hate rantings on the net, my apologies. I actually do not care if the 'Dex is 'top tier' or not, so long as I'm excited to use my very expensive models.

On that: I just got the Daemons Codex. Losing Eternal Warrior sucks, I think taking it away from Greater Daemons is a mistake. Not having to deepstrike everything is great though, and the army overall feels more daemonic now (so much randomness). No one seems to think the new daemons are uber cheeze, yet they'll get bent over less than they use to, so I am excited.

@ kernbanks
The troops are cheaper. You could go semi-horde if you wanted to.
I know that feeling with the old codex. I'm considering burning my copy of the fourth edition codex.

Eternal warrior or not, I'm loving the new codex. Still don't like the Slaanesh models, but that's not news for me.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 am

Yea, you don't really see a whole lot of D strength anyway and if it is D it's usually a 3 or 5 inch which FMCs can avoid pretty easily. It's moreso the D strength titan explosions that will massacre them.

I too like the new codex, still hosed against Gks but what else is new :P

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 am

Being hosed against Grey Knights is how it should be.

I like how GW has tried to keep all lists competitive against all comers, but is now starting to give one codex a little edge against one other, which in turn should create a weakness in said codex against a third.

Example, DA strong against CSM, but DA imo is weak against horde (if you play heavy termi/bikes) as volume will bring them down. Not to say you can't make a DA list being anti horde - it just looses a lot of anti CSM in doing so. And that my friends is my challenge as I look to an escalation league here at my local gaming shop. Do I bring DA of which I have a Deathwing, Ravenwing, and over a company of Greenwing... start core and balanced and add the specialties once the point value breaks 1000. Or go IG (an ungodly huge regiment to choose from). Or go Grey knights, which is a shelved project right now of about 80 Adeptus Arbites - run Coteaz and use them as henchmen squads, Bolters are bolters and shotsguns count as stormbolters (since the hencemen can't have shotguns, IG shotguns are weak non arbite shotguns, and the marine scout lists just don't add up how i like in squads). What do do and how to choose... wow I've rambled off topic. enjoy
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:04 pm

kernbanks wrote:Being hosed against Grey Knights is how it should be.
Unless you are like me, and forget to warp quake on turn one, only to have three frighteningly accurate flamer deepstrikes wipe your squads off the face of the map... Learned my lesson that game... Always remember to warp quake...
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

PDane66
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by PDane66 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey everyone, I've read through the codex several times now and I must say that I do really like it. Not to mention, going back to my original post, I am not as heart broken over losing EW as I originally was. FMC do have the ability to dodge most of that destroyer nonsense and getting ripped apart by Grey Knights... I guess that does make sense (I do have a Grey Knights army as well so win-win!).

As far as this years Apocalypticon goes, I have another question for y'all. So as I said, I want to bring the Angron Daemon Primarch of the World Eaters formation. With the new codex out, Angron's rules for himself are changed significantly. I'm of the opinion that for 500 points, the old rules associated with Angron should apply. That is using the old Daemon rules from the old codex. What do you guys think?

I've been working like crazy on what I'm bringing and here's what I have now:
-Angron Daemon Primarch of the World Eaters Formation (Angron and two Bloodthirsters)
-Bloodthirster Bloodbath with 6 Bloodthirsters, Skarbrand and An'ggrath
-3 Great Brass Scorpions (2 Defiler-bashing, one forgeworld)
-1 Baneblade
-1 Stormsword
-1 Chaos Reaver Titan
-2 Chaos Warhound Titans
-2 Land Raider Terminus Ultras
-2 Heldrakes
Also have about 2.5k of CSM infantry to bring, but nothing is painted and it'll depend on what I can get done in time. I'm looking at 11k-12k points. Really looking forward to claiming all you loyalist's skulls for the blood god! Death to the False Emperor!

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 pm

@ PDane66
The Daemon Primarch rules for Angron, from the Armageddon .pdf, represent a different person than the Horus Heresy Angron (as seen from a legal-esque context).
The Horus Heresy Angron isn't applicable to Apocalypticon (MWG ruled no HH stuff), only the Armaggedon .pdf remains.
I'm hoping to have an appropriate model for him in time too! Leading a unit of Bloodthirsters, he'll be bad axe!!