Horus Heresy at Apocalypticon

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Horus Heresy at Apocalypticon

Post by bigoldfrog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Several people have been batting around the idea of Horus Heresy units at Apocalypticon. To assist with how heavily the effects of such inclusion should be regarded, I believe a general quantitative idea of content brought should be made available to the decision makers.

In a less convoluted, caffeine addled way: who actually wants to bring HH stuff, and what?

I can't bring anything, because my ally chart is full. My one buddy is interested in Cataphractii Terminators and the Legion super heavy tanks, likely one- maybe two tanks.

The other says "Waaaaaagh" which I assume means no HH for him.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: Horus Heresy at Apocalypticon

Post by Aegis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

My only concern would be that the HH book is not a very common book, thus the rules not readily known.

Anyone fielding them would be courteous enough to have the rules easily accessible and on hand would be a good start. As is, from what I have seen, they are not too out of whack with what we expect to see. Of course, I am not terribly keen on seeing a half dozen primarch's running around.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 pm

@ Aegis My thoughts are similar to yours. I'm hoping people who'd want to bring HH stuff respond to this topic, telling all of us that they do and what they'd want to bring.

If the only interest is similar to what we've seen so far, then there isn't much cause for extra rules or worry. Slightly different super-heavies could go unnoticed at Apocalypticon, as could Cataphractii terminators (which are basically Tzeench terminators with a few different weapons options).

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 am

Agreement here... the super heavies are super heavies. Fellblades will pop just like Baneblades and they do not deal that much more damage, the Warhound and Reaver are basically identical from my glance and memory. Troops of all types should get slaughtered by the super heavies and numerous tanks that a few more 2+/6+ will not change much.

What would be strangely unbalanced are the primarchs just because there are no loylist primarchs yet, but even if they all showed up it would not be any worse than covens of greater daemons lead by Angron the greater daemon prince. If someone wants to line up Horus opposite my Baneblade/Shadowsword (approximate equal points cost) we'll see how well he take strength D hits.
~Kernbanks

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am

They do have Eternal Warrior, so they take them quite well, actually.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm probably not going to allow the Horus Heresy books.

However, one question is this: How many people want to bring them, and how many points would they equal?

Also, could the models proxy easily enough for things that are not Horus Heresy?

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

@ MWG on proxy:

Angron could become Angron the Daemon Primarch with very little imagination needed. The other Primarchs, if models are produced for them, could easily be Daemon Princes.
Most of the Baneblade-esque tanks use Baneblade chassis, so could proxy to Shadowswords, Banehammer's, etc. I believe there is one tank however which uses the Spartan Assault Tank chassis, with a giant Vindicator like cannon sticking out the front. I doubt anyone will have it though. Not pleasing to the eye IMO.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Ahh... the Emperor (and definitely the Inquisition) will damn me for this... but I just did a quick exam of the primarchs vs the 4 daemon lords (An'ggrath, Zarakynel, Scabeiathrax, and Aetaeos). While these Daemon lords are slightly more points (2-350) they are pretty similar with the daemon lords being more powerful with far better invul saves and longer range and more powerful atacks. These monstrous daemons are also immune to "D" instant death (and with T over 5, D is the only instant death the primarchs needs to worry about - and force weapons).

What you might want to do is keep them limited to one of each in the game... not sure the interest in bringing them. Another awesome aspect would be keeping the legions together on adjacent board sections. Painted up seeing legions together would be amazing.

As for the superheavies and landraider equivalents... point for point less powerful than options available in the current codex's and IA books.

As an imperial player... I want to see them so I can smash them. That being said, for all IA, WD, and even HH book units, it would be good for the player fielding to have a xerox for the opposite opponent and of course to have the actual book on hand to keep GW happy about people not pirating the rules.
~Kernbanks

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I'll say it again: the Primarchs have eternal warrior.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

there are others with that rule... should we ban them as well?

if someone dropped $$$ on a forgeworld model, painted it, has it in an army that is also themed they should get a little love. I personally want a Primarch cutting though my hordes of guardsmen... see how many he can slaughter and how many I can push into him.

Fear of the unknown is not a good reason to limit things... As long as the person who brings a HH (or any IA really) has a copy to share with the player facing it I don't forsee any issues.

I don't want to line up opposite an Emperor class Titan, but it will probably happen.
~Kernbanks

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 am

kernbanks wrote:there are others with that rule... should we ban them as well?

if someone dropped $$$ on a forgeworld model, painted it, has it in an army that is also themed they should get a little love. I personally want a Primarch cutting though my hordes of guardsmen... see how many he can slaughter and how many I can push into him.

Fear of the unknown is not a good reason to limit things... As long as the person who brings a HH (or any IA really) has a copy to share with the player facing it I don't forsee any issues.

I don't want to line up opposite an Emperor class Titan, but it will probably happen.
No, I don't. However, strength D weapons simply will not kill a Primarch. This is what I was trying to get across.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

@Kernbanks Emperor titans are wicked fun to face off against! Especially since this year they will be painted, the visceral feel of a desperate fight against insurmountable odds comes in awesome, all impressing waves (of 10" pie plates).
It's like solving a 'checkmate in X' chess problem, but a million million times the excitement.

And you won't be alone. Everyone likes pot shot'ing the big big guys.

I hope I face one... *fingers tap maniacally*

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Same same... it will definately be interesting. Still trying to get an answer from my boss if I can get the weekend off... well weekend plus I am traveling a bit.
~Kernbanks

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm

I would definitely like to see the Horus Heresy stuff hit the table, I'm not certain that I'll bring anything, but the book and the models interest me. But if I had already gotten them, I'd be pretty disappointed to not be able to use them.
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm

I too hope they will be used, but I believe the reason Matt (or whomever from MWG) was asking if Horus Heresy could be proxy'd by regular troops, was so that we could bring these iconic items but they'd simply represent something similar.

Though only 25% percent of the tickets have been sold, thus far only one person has said they'd be interested in bringing a HH super-heavy tank, and a buddy of mine is 'thinking' about it.
It may not require any allowances at all if no one brings the stuff.