Are you leaving or staying with 40k?
I am definitely done with GW for good 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
I will occasionally buy a model here and there 41%  41%  [ 21 ]
I will stop buying but continue playing 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
This has not affected my relationship with GW 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:28 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I've got Warhammer, 40K, and Lord of the Rings, so I am just going to focus on the Lord of the Rings. Way tooooo expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
It wont stop me from buying models here or there but it will slow down on how much i used to spend like 4 years ago.

I know with all the increases my friends have stopped 40k and we now play warmachine more becuz they can afford it and u dont need as many models.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:45 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

The price increase actually convinced me to stop spending money on my orks, Find a club, pay the joining fee and take up Warmachine.

Im actually kinda glad because before then I hadn't played any other rule-sets apart from 40k but now I'm playing half a dozen different games all for a tenth of the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:41 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
amazon really helps. its all cheaper ( if you purchase from the same retailer anyway so conserve on shipping) but really its worth it to get new kits for cheap :3

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 pm 

I collect many things including DVDs, RPGs, board games, Heroclix, sci-fi merchandise and 40K And I don't see GW as being that expensive really.

I have friends that spent fifty quid a night in the pub or buy a PS3 game a week. 40K is cheap by comparison.

I keep hearing that there are better cheaper models to buy but no one has yet to convince me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm 

Personally, I haven't stopped one bit. Yes, the price increases affect me. But I also have no other expensive hobbies, and the last new released games I bought were Space Marine (with a free copy of Darksiders) and Portal 2. Heck, I bought Minecraft back before it was fully released.

I buy DnD books, but they haven't released anything I'm interested in a while now, and I'm not interested in much else. I'm a GW fanboy, and can't help it. Also, I'm saving money wherever I can on principal. I live with family, and got through college for cheap. Plus, my FLGS has a Customer Loyalty program on all purchases, which gets me $5 back for every $100 I spend.

Nowadays, I don't buy near as much. Now I challenge myself to finish up the models I have, building and painting, before I buy any more. I'll convert the expensive pewter/Finecast models from plastic, and I'll loot at better point/dollar ratio in my buying plans. But then again, I noticed that I started doing that before the newest price increase.

Am I going to stop? No. Am I much more responsible in my purchases and smart in my model and paint choices? Yes.

Astra Militarum - tally coming soon!
Warriors of Chaos - tally coming soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Will it affect me, of course it will. This will stop me from buying models and of course the paints, I think its time to take up warmachine. (or start D&D)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:04 pm 

Personally I've taken to running a lot more proxies when I can find a compatible or modable model. I still get GW stuff but I usually look at my options and decide if the model in question is really worth it or not. If it isn't worth the money asked, I'll try and find a proxie or just get an older version off E-bay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:47 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
I can only afford to buy warhammer online :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:00 pm 

GW prices don't bother me one bit.

Petrol, gas, electricity, mortgage, rates, council tax, insurance. I have more of an issue with how much all these cost me.

Although, comics are pretty expense nowadays.

And have you tried collecting Heroclix? Including the Chase figures? GW is pretty reasonable for the quality products they have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Remember when stormravens and landraiders were $50 a pop? Now what are they, something like $80 and $60? Because, ya know, its totally cool to blatantly price gouge. The first razorback I got was $33. As of today, GW sells it for $41. I just cannot justify getting back into the game for the $550 it will cost to create a reasonable 1850 point army.

I will continue to play my wood elves however, but GW... You have lost my money to warmachine, where I can get twice the amount of stuff for half the cost. Heck, my HUGE warmachine army cost about $550. And that's enough to play an apocalypse-sized game for warmahordes.

No, GW doesnt understand the concept of reasonable prices.

Light a man a fire, WARN him for a night. Light a man ON fire, warm him for eternity.
-Ancient Menite Saying

Don't mess with Athel Loren... you WILL take an arrow to the knee.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 am 

Sorry, but in what world are Warmachine cheaper than 40K?

You may need less models to play a game but they are more expensive.

eg. Khador Man-O-War Bombardiers set (£29.95) can be compared to Terminators (£28.00).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 pm 
Spends far too much time here...

No, because I haven't bought anything from them except a codex.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 pm 
Silver Vault Member

GarDakka wrote:

eg. Khador Man-O-War Bombardiers set (£29.95) can be compared to Terminators (£28.00).

all you really need to play though is a 50 dollar battle group plus the rulebook and some templates and then you can slowly build up from there. when compared to warhammer, this is MUCH cheaper as a battleforce costs $150 and thats not even enough to play a regular sized game :/

Tau - 5000+ points

Necrons - 4000+ points

Ogre Kingdoms - 4000+ points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
TyranidSwarmlord wrote:
GarDakka wrote:

all you really need to play though is a 50 dollar battle group plus the rulebook and some templates and then you can slowly build up from there. when compared to warhammer, this is MUCH cheaper as a battleforce costs $150 and thats not even enough to play a regular sized game :/

but your just talking about the gaming aspect...
the battleforce is expensive yes but it comes with a ton of models with excesive amounts of extra bits for modelling painting while the warmahordes boxes come with at most 5 models? and not really posable and a short paint time. so then this leads to making purchases sooner.... still GW prices arent great but

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.