It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Just looked at the GW website and for the full paint packge its £333:00. Looks like i wont be getting that then lol. Nice of them to have a conversion chart online from old paints to new and nice to see they have not bumped up the prices of the paints {well not yet lol} and no way im buying the 'how to paint citadel miniatures' book with DVD, £30:00, what are games workshop thinking of charging rices like that. Im really pleased that they are other companies like reaper, army painter etc or i think alot of people would stop buying GW stuff. To be honest i wanted to start a imperial army for myslef to game with but im thinking not now and going out and buying some other minis lol

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
According to Dakkadakka, the paint conversion guide thing isn't accurate at all. I think they said the conversion for Tau Sept Ochre is a Kommando Khaki like colour (or vice versa), stuff like that.

Can't remember really, but, apparently the conversion guide is about as good as their tacticas

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thanks for that buddy pleased you told me or i would of gone on GWs word lol, like how they have changed there washes to shades, what was the point in that lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Well apparently shades are more intense than washes meaning you can probably get an intense shadow in just one thin coat, but, to get them down to the consistencies around the current wash, you'll need to water them down. Also they might (MIGHT) not wierdly pool on flat services in the same way current washes do.

Might want to get some magic mud before it sales out, they still have a brown shade, but it probably will require a bit more finesse than just plain, simple Devlan.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ummmm good idea buddy i might just stock up on magic mud and i mean buy like 30 tubs of the old stuff lol :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I agree. I wouldn't wait to buy any bottles of the old paint range. I hesitated making a purchase last night, and today many stores are sold out. Regrets... :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Update: my missis went out and bought 6 tubs of the old magic mud and has ordered another 4 from a website. Shes a good wife lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I personally don't get why people freak out over this so much.

Personally, I bought a citadel starter set for ~30 bucks, having chaos black, (skull?) white, a striking red, one or two greens and a yellow and blue.

After my first steps and taking a look at the "layering advice sheet" that was in the paintset I soon realized I'd either have to buy a new pot of paint for each and every shading of hue I want to use or simply mix my own.

Then, having started to paint a few of my templars the question of "highlighting white" came up to me so I asked at my flgs and a guy told me explicitly: "don't buy gw paints!"
They'd be too expensive, of poor quality pigment-wise and just not "something special". So he sold me some artists acrylic paint - thicker than gw paints, but still - "dilute it with water until you get a milky consistency" - the brand or "pot thickness" doesn't matter at all, after all.
That color did the trick for my purpose and also smells heavenly like sweetened walnuts. :roll:

So the only gw thing I ever bought again paint-wise was a set of washes (basically because I was lazy and thought "hey, these wash-colours seem to be all you need in one box!") and some primer here and there (although car/auto - primer works just as well, as long as it's applied carefully and of the FLAT -not GLOSSY- type.)

Well I haven't painted for a while now, but am just at the point of preparing my painting area to start off again and finally finish my army.

The colors I'll use are: Cheap supermart Acrylics in small artists tubes, metallic and pearl effects (some structural) from 500ml tubes and GW Chaos Black Primer.

And for the folks saying "what if I want the exact same hue without remixing colors for each model?" - go buy empty paint pots or dripper bottles, then mix away as much as you need for your project / army.

PS: Don't start that "stop ranting" stuff now, please. I've been airbrushing my own shirts for several years now using silk colors, I painted half of my house with on-wall-pictures (done using an old projector and stencils printed on presentation foils - those pics are 1x1.5m of size..), I make terrain and also experiment with pre-coloured resin or more specifically an "inverted moulding" kind of technique (someone remind me to do a tut on this please - I keep that ace technique secret for 2-3 years now.. way too long ;) ).
So yeah.. I know what I talk about.
Oh, and I've worked in the pulver-coating business for half a year as well. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Fair enough buddy i tend to buy many different kind of paints from GW to army painter, everybody has there own choice but to people who are that as artistic as you and I mainly stick to the stuff they get told to use and dont stray afield to use other products. All and all to sum it up is everybody is different and some people experiment whilst others dont like change

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

True.. true..

Being a "95% stripped and recycled model" army guy, I must say that a mini painted badly with acrylics of any kind is still way easier to clean than a well painted enamel (GAAAAAH!) mini.

The colors are okay to work with, but meh.. to me personally, mixing yourself is just more fun and another step on that "things I'm proud of about my minis" stairway to.. nah, too cheap of a reference. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Lmao true

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:53 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Not everyone knows the color wheel, it's nice that GW are trying to make it easier. I found their tutorials very helpful when I was starting out, when I was strictly going to GW for guidance. Art was one of my majors in High School and College.

That said, I'm thankful there are other resources as well. I've found GW paints to be good for the most part, especially their Foundations and Washes. What I don't like is their pots. I've been switching to Reaper HD and their dropper bottles, and I absolutely love their colors and can't wait to order more.

I can also see where it can be cost prohibitive to go with GW paints. That's quite a price tag on that paint set, but I suppose they will sell. I don't think a new painter will be able to tell the difference in the Apple Barrel brand at Micheal's vs the premium paint brands.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I tend to stick to GW paints as long as they don't raise the price to more than €3
as all the cheaper paints (these are more in my price range) I tested out where crap as I have a few bottle paints (they costed me just €1,75 the bottle) I tested them out on my models and the result was that I could better use water paints for kids to paint my models
but I really want to test reaper paints but the problem is I can't find them here in Belgium and I don't have enough money to buy the reaper set (that way the postage is doable and make them cheaper with a few € than GW)
so till I have the money I'll be using GW and some cheap paints that kinda work^^

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:48 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thats a shame buddy really thought you would be able to get reapers. GWs are ok but i dolike reapers, army painter etc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Same boat as des, I have been using GW paints and have about 18 but the pots are annoying, I experimented with P3 and I had orange hands for my French exam. Then I found the marvel that isvallejo, the colour is almost great consistency out of the pot and the pot is good. It is epic
..... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next