Can a grey knight strike squad be equipped entirely with heavy bolters

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Phase2
First post! Good job, now post more...

Can a grey knight strike squad be equipped entirely with heavy bolters

Post by Phase2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 am

In a battle forged army can my grey knights strike squad ne fully armed with heavy bolters mostly cause I like how the models look with this weapon but also cause I think it will work out well. Lol anyone out there who knows please let me know thanks bros peace.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Can a grey knight strike squad be equipped entirely with heavy bolters

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Phase2 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 am
In a battle forged army can my grey knights strike squad ne fully armed with heavy bolters mostly cause I like how the models look with this weapon but also cause I think it will work out well. Lol anyone out there who knows please let me know thanks bros peace.
The codex is always very specific about what wargear a unit may take. While I do not have a Grey Knight Codex, the Index states such:

- Any model may replace his Nemesis Force Sword with an item from the Grey Knights Melee weapons list.
- For every five models in the unit, one Grey Knight may replace his Nemesis Force Sword and Storm Bolter with an item from the Grey Knights Special weapons list.

Sadly, neither the melee weapons list or special weapons list includes a heavy bolter. As such, no strike squad member may have a heavy bolter. However, you may look at the special weapons list to see if any weapon there may be a suitable "equivalent". Thus, you could model a heavy bolter and just have it count as a weapon from that list (also known as proxying). However, per the entry, only one model in every 5 may be armed with such. As such, in a max squad of 10 models, only 2 may be armed with that weapon.

Note that 'proxying' is widely accepted in casual play, but in competitive play, it can be more frowned upon (be sure to check with your opponent beforehand). It can also be straight up not allowed in tournaments that may request strict What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG, or wissywig), which is the act of making sure every model is strictly modeled with what wargear it ACTUALLY has. This is because stressful tournament games need the assurance that when you look at your opponent's unit, you can see exactly what it has.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forums! I recommend keeping an eye out on the 40k section of the forum, and the Imperium subsection, where you can post questions like these and get more targetted assistance from Grey Knight players.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Can a grey knight strike squad be equipped entirely with heavy bolters

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Phase2 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 am
Welcome to the boards!

Koonitz said all that there was to say :) But I want to echo that he said about Proxies; When I was first starting out with my armies I would build whatever looked the best without much regard for the rules or the requirement of the squads... much to my chagrin when I started actually playing the game! Now that I do more competitive games I always make sure my units are modeled 'correctly' but ultimately these are your toys and it is important that you make sure that you are having fun with them. However, just be sure that your opponents know what you are playing with and that you are all having fun!!

Please be sure to check out the other threads and share your insights with other users.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--