is Astra Militarum worth getting for panting/playing ?

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
sinman
Now we're getting somewhere...

is Astra Militarum worth getting for panting/playing ?

Post by sinman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 pm

i have never played a game of 40k (i would like too thow) still getting my head around the rules. i dont want to wast my money on something that i wont find fun.

i love that look of Astra Militarum but i don't want to play a static gun line. so when i was looking at Forge World i found Death Korps of Krieg Subterranean Assault Squad, Death Riders and Sentinels. in most games i love just throwing people at the problem (i was also looking at Orks but i dont think the Astra Militarum get enef love). i dont want just having 1 or 2 Elite squads fully kitted out running around killing everything.

the outer reason i was looking at the Astra Militarum is because i dont see them played in the MiniWarGaming videos and i have a craving to see what they can do. i hope we can see some more games with the Astra Militarum soon.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: is Astra Militarum worth getting for panting/playing ?

Post by Koonitz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:29 am

Welcome to the forums!

I recommend reposting this in the Imperium sub-forum of the 40k section of this forum. You will get far more targetted assistance for your questions about the Astra Militarum/Imperial Guard.

I would also be careful about starting a Forge World army. As cool as they are (and they REALLY are), Forge World is far more expensive than even Games Workshop. Compound that with the price of a horde army like Imperial Guard (especially if you like going to "throw more bodies at it" route of lots of infantry), and you've just selected one of the singular most expensive armies to build. Be ready for that.

As well, resin (the type used by Forge World to produce their models) is a far more advanced type of material to work with over the standard plastic of Games Workshop models. Resin models require a lot more work to prepare and assemble and should be considered only for experienced modelers.

By no means should you NOT choose the Death Korps of Krieg as your army. I just want you to go in with both eyes open so you don't regret spending a lot of money on the army.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

sinman
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by sinman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:12 am

thanks Koonitz for the tips ill have a look at the Imperium sub-forum of the 40k. i would be really embarrassed if i could not put together the models after spending all the money to get them.

thanks again.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:02 pm

I run a very mobile guard list with the Tallarn doctrine. It's not a static gunline since every infantry unit is mounted on vehicles and they don't suffer the penalty for moving and shooting heavy weapons. It's great.