What happened to dark potential?

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

What happened to dark potential?

Post by hislittlecuzin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 am

It’s been forever since I did stuff on this forum actively, but I’m curious...

What happened to dark potential? It was an interesting concept for a game-one of the only games I ever watched MWG do a battle report do aside from 40K. There was a huge Kickstarter, section on the website, and everything.

Then one day it just kinda disappeared. And then a few months later the website section was gone.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

BAD
Gold Vault Member

Re: What happened to dark potential?

Post by BAD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 pm

https://www.miniwargaming.com/content/s ... -potential

They just don't have the time or funds to dedicate to a project like this. Maybe in the future
The Lannisters send their regards

orkybenji
Silver Vault Member

Post by orkybenji » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Dark Potential ended up being a great example of biting off more than you can chew. What started as a fun passion project for Matt, exploded with way more funding than expected, and then way more fan expectations than anticipated. MWG just wasn't equipped to launch and support a full line miniature game. I think the original intent was to just have small run of collectable miniatures released and a free, living ruleset as a fun project for Matt and close fans of MWG. The fans, being great and very generous, injected huge capital, and the project likewise had to get much bigger. In the end, the miniatures really weren't aesthetically competitive with other company's, and MWG didn't have the resources to really promote the game to mass audiences. Maybe some day MWG will go back to it with a full line of modern miniatures, but until they are big enough to do it right, I'd rather they stick to making great media content for us.

hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by hislittlecuzin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm

BAD wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 pm
https://www.miniwargaming.com/content/s ... -potential

They just don't have the time or funds to dedicate to a project like this. Maybe in the future
Ahh okay. I think I found this video a few days after posting this, but didn't update the thread as it was a while.
orkybenji wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:51 pm
~snip~
Are the rules/lore still available to be read online? As with the update video I did find a few explanations, and a video of their first unboxing of Dark Potential miniatures, but not so sure about rules/lore. It's a very interesting story.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.