Ideas on how to fix this problem?

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Stargate404
Now we're getting somewhere...

Ideas on how to fix this problem?

Post by Stargate404 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 am

Hello everyone, tl;dr is at the bottom

I love Lord of the Rings and so have been collecting Lord of the Rings miniatures even though many of them have been discontinued. One of these miniatures which is actually still in use but now is citadel "finecast" is the Dragon. Not Smaug, but just a general dragon. It looks pretty cool and I managed to snag a horribly painted and terribly glued used model through ebay. I used a jewelry cleaner and some LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner (that's the actual brand name) to strip it down to the metal and it was looking gorgeous ready to be primered. Problem is that in transferring the metal bits to the box I was priming in, I lost one of the Dragon's horns. This small pewter piece is long and thin and about the length of a fingernail. I've looked everywhere for it and have absolutely no idea where it went. I've spent over an hour searching with no luck. Here's the problem:

tl;dr I lost a bit that isn't sold separately anywhere (to buy a new model would cost $60-70) and I can't use green stuff because the bit is long and thin and the rest of the model is metal - it simply isn't strong enough. Is there a way I can make the green stuff stronger or a metal I can use as a substitute that would be of comparable strength?

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Ideas on how to fix this problem?

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:18 am

I don't know the correct shape of what you might need, but how about bending and clipping a paperclip/wire into the right shape and coating it with Green Stuff?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Stargate404
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Stargate404 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:18 am
I don't know the correct shape of what you might need, but how about bending and clipping a paperclip/wire into the right shape and coating it with Green Stuff?
https://imgur.com/a/TDfWr

The object I'm trying to shape is the horn on this Dragon. I'll try the paper clip trick but I'm worried it still may be too weak :/ thank you for the help!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:19 pm

You could drill a hole into the dragons head, apply the paperclip and sculpt around it, to better support it... or just paint it as a wound and add a broken horn to the base.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:24 am

Use green stuff on the stub, shape it like a broken horn, lost in a previous conflict. If you're not terribly good with green stuff, you can make it fairly flat, maybe with a grove or two around the edges. Often times, horns are sheared off by magically sharpened blades, leaving a fairly smooth stub (see the Hellboy movie for plenty of shots of two good examples).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:13 am

Or make a mold of the other horn for resin...?
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)