Complete Newbie With Two Questions...

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Complete Newbie With Two Questions...

Post by Bassmunchkin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi everyone, Ive only just joined and have a couple of questions. I only play Talisman 4th edition at the moment, but want to get into 40,000.

Baring in mind that I’ve only painted a few characters in Talisman, have virtually nil knowledge of the rules of 40,000 and I’m trying to work out which edition I should purchase, could some of you shed some light as to which edition I should buy, I'm unsure if some editions have easier rules than others, (I've watched edition 8 played and it looks brilliant, but not sure if it's to overwhelming for a beginner)

Also I’m already a little confused in the order in which I start assembling models from the sprues once I’ve opened the box. I’ve only heard that you assemble the models and then start playing the game, however when using the roster sheets to work out the size of your army, you obviously then work out which armour each character is going to have in relation to cost, so should I work out which models have which armour first on my roster sheet and then build my models up accordingly, so that the models on the game table and the roster sheet are the same.

Thanking everyone in advance for their kind help.
Terry

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Complete Newbie With Two Questions...

Post by Dheiti » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey and welcome along!

First question is easy. 8th is the current edition, and is massively scaled down in terms of amount of rules. It may not seem it, but trust me it's simpler! Go with he current edition of 8th!

Secondly, assemble your models on what you want! Worry about WYSYWIG later! You can always speak to you ur opponents about proxying while you work out what you want to use long term!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi Dheiti and many thanks for your kind reply, the models in edition 8 do look brilliant don't they and this edition really has been the one that I want, but as it's cost is quite high, I just wanted to hear someone agree that this is ok for a newbie.

Also regarding your reply on my 2nd issue, maybe I'm just being to serious and just need to jump in and get gaming.

Thanks again Dheiti, I really do appreciate your time helping me decide.

Kind regards,
Terry

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Dheti is correct, 8th is the most current edition and probably the easiest. Plus it has proven too be a ton of fun and will be the easiest edition for you to get a game of since everyone else is also probably excitingly playing it as well.

As for how you are assembling your models, most things are usable this edition so make your models and units to whatever standard suits you and then proceed from there. Worst comes to worst most people I have played with don't mind a bit of proxying as long as you are up front with it as possible. Feel free to ask any other questions that come up on here as well. Pretty much all of us are more than happy to help however we can.

Am curious, what army are you thinking of starting?
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 pm

It is also worth pointing out that Games Workshop (and an excessively large portion of the playerbase) will always assume you are playing the latest edition of the game. In this case, that is 8th. It is incredibly rare (and usually discussed well in advance by veteran players looking for a little nostalgia) for anyone to want to play an earlier edition of the game.

The only time that may be different now is if someone wants to play a Horus Heresy (often referred to as '30k') game. This is a version of the game that still uses 7th Edition rules to play games set in the Horus Heresy, using the Space Marine Legions that were found at that time. It is a niche game for a niche market and ABSOLUTELY aimed at the veteran players (and it is far more expensive). Know that it exists, don't try getting into it right now until you learn more about the hobby as a whole, and the lore behind the WarHammer 40k universe.

-

As for modeling, you will want to take a certain small degree of caution in mind when building your models. However, as you are just starting, you shouldn't try too hard. What I would recommend at the start is to first pick the army you want to play, then buy a couple different model kits for that army, including "that one really cool thing that drew you to the army (don't worry, everyone has one)" and, more importantly, one of their basic troop kits. This is the most important part: DO NOT START BUILDING AND PAINTING "that one really cool thing that drew you to the army (don't worry, everyone has one)". Start building and painting with your basic troops unit and build them how you like. You'll make mistakes, and it's a lot better to make a mistake on one of the 5, 10, or more models that come in a box, than that one single expensive and cool kit. You wouldn't be the first person to put their Space Marine shoulder pads on wrong.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

AriaSilverfyre
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AriaSilverfyre » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 am

Welcome!

As everyone said already, get the stuff for the most current edition (8th, which only came out a few weeks ago), because that's what everyone is going to be using now.

In regards to actually getting your units together, I second what Koonitz said above me. Get a couple kits of the basic units to start, and one super awesome looking one for fun after. I'd consider using a Plastic Glue/Cement vs Super Glue for putting them together. I find that it gives a little bit more wiggle room should you make a little mistake, and the added bonus of not gluing your fingers together. Take your time cutting things out of the sprues and trim the mold-lines for a cleaner end result. Familiarize yourself with the building instructions that come in the kits. After a few builds, you'll also realize you don't have to follow them to the letter, but have a little room to customize by mixing up some pieces (depending on the kit you're working with).

If unsure of how to kit them out, go with the "Rule of Cool" and just make it look awesome. Most people are perfectly fine with a proxy, if mentioned at the start of the battle. Some of my models are so old, they're still kitted out for 4th ed. :D
'Nid Momma, Genestealer Cultist Matriarch, Handmaiden to Alarielle's Will

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:18 pm

To all of you, thanks very much for all of your kind words of advice and I really do appreciate the time that you have all taken to try and give me some excellent advice.

Firstly, the 8th Edition it is.

Secondly, Sweetsorrow, I have no idea which army to choose, as I was just assuming that I would pick one of the two sides that comes with the game, but now you've got me thinking. I think I need to spend some time looking at the various armies and then scratch my head, especially as I'm going to be spending mega amounts of hours building, painting, fighting, campaigning and virtually becoming one of them in my own little world and I believe you know exactly what I'm saying :-) But I do feel very passionate about the Space Marines.

Lastly, I now have another question, how often do GW bring out a new 40,000 edition and what does everyone do with their previous games. Obviously I understand that you all keep and continue using your previous armies that you dribble over and talk to everyday :-) but surely paying £100 plus each time a new edition comes out, I'm just lost as to what you all do.

But once again, thanks everyone for your time, I really do appreciate your help.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm

The best way to choose an army is to take the one that you love the most irrespective of how well it does in the game. You will find that you will persevere a lot more building your army over the years if you relate to it on a personal level than if you go for power. On top of that, the power level of an army will change a lot from an edition to another, so in the end, it's the worst way of selecting one. Follow your heart. That's my only advice. I went for Thousand Sons despite it being non competitive in most of its existence and I never regretted it even one second because I just love the backstory and the miniatures. It feels like for you it's the Space Marines who give you that feeling. But take your time, and check how they all look and what is their fluff. Then make your choice.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Kovlovsky, I notice like the others here, that you make so much sense in what you are saying, I really don't want to rush into grabbing an Army and will definitely spend some time looking at their stats, features, colour scheme and having a good read of the codex of the army that I finally believe will be my passion.

I notice that you've been on the forum here, 3 years this coming Sunday, so I hope that thought brings an extra smile and Maybe you might think of a special war to celebrate.

Kovlovsky, many thanks for your time, I've only just joined and I'm already loving 40,000 :-)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Oh thank you, I didn't even notice that it had been 3 years. Thanks for the good words! I'm glad you joined the forum and the hobby. If you have further questions, we will all be very happy to help you. See you soon!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for your kindness, I'll probably be back tomorrow with more questions :-)

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Keep in mind that if you like more than one army it is okay to get a couple of them, just simply focus on your favorite at first. For example I have always loved the Chaos Space Marines, but I also really enjoyed the /Dark/Eldar and Dark Angels so now after a bit im slowly working on armies for them as well.

But it is definitely important to plan you first army out and stick to what you like. If you have any questions about the different factions remember you can also visit the forum subsections and ask questions and we would be happy to provide a further insight for you.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Bassmunchkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Bassmunchkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Many thanks again SweetSorry, I hear you loud and clear :-)