GW pricing

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: GW pricing

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:34 pm

blippityblip wrote:I'll explain the concept, I work in a supermarket, quite often supermarkets will do an offer where they are selling a product cheaper than their buying it for, it's known as something along the lines as a lose leading promotion or something like that, the aim for that promotion isn't to make money, but to get more people in the shops, people that would otherwise shop in a competitor, for instance this week we are selling something for £5 a unit, that the company are buying in at £5.97 a unit, people will see this offer in the paper or on TVs and will come into the shop for that, most customers will then buy more things in that shop, so where they are losing money on one product their gaining more sales on others thus making more money, all the big supermarkets in the uk do, especially around big events like Christmas, Easter, Black Friday etc. This could well be what GW are doing, making very little on start collecting boxes to help increase the sales for the rest of the range, because let's be honest who hasn't been tempted to start a new army after seeing one of those?
This is a common tactic for all businesses. PC sales make for another good example, where a laptop for $500, will often cost the company $490-495 to bring in. Then that laptop will go on sale for $450.

Then you (the average consumer) buy a wireless mouse, carrying case, anti-virus software, maybe one or two other accessories that suit your needs. Or even more so, extended warranty. Each and every accessory product carries standard mark-ups of anywhere from 50% to well beyond 500%.

This is also why I always laughed at anyone who came in asking for a discount on buying a laptop with no attachments. You don't ask for a discount on something I'm already losing money on. Or even two. My favourite was "Could I get a discount if I bought two?" "You want a bulk discount, I can do so. Let's talk 15 or more."

"Loss leaders" is the correct term. It would not surprise me even slightly if GW is making little, to no, profit on "Start Collecting" bundles because they're a perfect example of a loss leader.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Interesting re: the start collecting boxes

what do you guys think of the, usually rare, times they offer actual groups of minis and have a discount on the bundle, compared to buying them individually?

I mean like: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ju ... Web-Bundle

something I was thinking of actually getting for my son, but if you work it out, they're just the same in this "bundle" as they are separately.

Rarely however I notice they do offer what seems to be about 10% off a bundle deal, other than the start collecting bundles.

I'm just curious why they bother to offer 'bundles' without a discount at all usually, and, when they do offer one, why? Maybe it's just a ploy to make the models look cool, help people who maybe don't know what units to buy, which is understandable I suppose. Otherwise it jsut kind of struck me as an odd thing to do.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Guildenstern wrote:I'm just curious why they bother to offer 'bundles' without a discount at all usually, and, when they do offer one, why? Maybe it's just a ploy to make the models look cool, help people who maybe don't know what units to buy, which is understandable I suppose. Otherwise it jsut kind of struck me as an odd thing to do.
The primary purpose of the one-click bundles is just that. One click. Saves people from having to click through multiple model kits to build the common bundles. There is no other reason for them and, as said, they don't offer a discount, financially.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I fail too see the value of the one click-bundles myself and always did wonder why not just offer a bit off when people buy the big boxes or bundles over individual. Usually as a business you would want to offer people reasons to spend more in a sitting than just saying, "Here is one less click". Overall I feel the getting started bundles are AMAZING and fantastic, so I won't take away from GW they have done some good things of late, I just can't help but feel they could take it further. Especially to make up, at least to me as a consumer, the nearly doubled price of HQs.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Likewise actually. Some of the bundles has plenty I like but due to the cost and not really wanting everything in it the lack of any sort of savings causes me to shy away from them at all. In fact the only one i got recently was the Maelstorm of Gore and even that is a stretch. I just feel like they are onto such a good thing with the start collecting and would have found it so awesome to just let that tip into the bundles since the price hikes and, yes I know I said it before but I am still bitter about it, the cost of certain single models these days. Like a Terminator captain used to be 15$ USD, now its 30$? A Succubus was 15$, now its 23$..

That or maybe a build your own bundle would be cool however I suppose that is just your own cart huh.. :(
All-in all even with just those boxes and some of the new kits being released of late I still think with how much fun I have with the hobby I will be doing it for awhile to come. I just wish either it wasn't so pricy or that I wasn't in such a financial bind that causes the price to be a problem.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 pm

SweetSorrow wrote:Likewise actually. Some of the bundles has plenty I like but due to the cost and not really wanting everything in it the lack of any sort of savings causes me to shy away from them at all. In fact the only one i got recently was the Maelstorm of Gore and even that is a stretch. I just feel like they are onto such a good thing with the start collecting and would have found it so awesome to just let that tip into the bundles since the price hikes and, yes I know I said it before but I am still bitter about it, the cost of certain single models these days. Like a Terminator captain used to be 15$ USD, now its 30$? A Succubus was 15$, now its 23$..

That or maybe a build your own bundle would be cool however I suppose that is just your own cart huh.. :(
All-in all even with just those boxes and some of the new kits being released of late I still think with how much fun I have with the hobby I will be doing it for awhile to come. I just wish either it wasn't so pricy or that I wasn't in such a financial bind that causes the price to be a problem.
Yeah I hear you about the financial part - it's a somewhat expensive hobby unfortunately. It's not bad, as far as hobbys go of course! but when you look at from a limited income it's a bit harder sometimes to justify. But the good news is I guess, that means there's a good second hand market! So it makes stuff off ebay and trades with other players work out - that's how I got most all my ork stuff truth be told.

I really like the idea of build your own bundle lol but you're right that's basically just your cart hah

On a slightly (more?) OT note - I'm really keen on the new game sets they're coming out with, like the Shadow Armegeddon (?) one. Or at least the terrain from it :D And that I fully expect to see come out on ebay as people buy boxes and split the contents so I feel I have a good chance of getting it (eventually) at least.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Wolfman40k
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Wolfman40k » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

As much as I agree that GW's pricing is too high, I do think it is still worth the price for the amount of time of enjoyment. I've spend 100's of hours building, painting, list-building, playing, etc.

The only similar hobby I can think of would be to buy a video game console for $400 and even then you are paying $60 a pop for new games. Using that example, I've definitely spent less than that on my army.

I'm also trying to stretch the dollars that I've spent of 40k even further by playing my army in tournaments and with friends over hopefully the next couple years.
1850 Space Wolves

Wolfman40k
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Wolfman40k » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Yeah man, I totally agree! The Space Wolves have 3 codexes alone, not counting the rulebook.

Also, the price of codexes present a huge barrier for those new to the hobby and for people looking to start a second army.
1850 Space Wolves

Wolfman40k
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Wolfman40k » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Haha that's a great point! I've gone out to eat and been like aw man I just ate the cost of a new landraider
1850 Space Wolves