GW pricing

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: GW pricing

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 pm

blippityblip wrote:
Wolfman40k wrote:As much as I agree that GW's pricing is too high, I do think it is still worth the price for the amount of time of enjoyment. I've spend 100's of hours building, painting, list-building, playing, etc.

The only similar hobby I can think of would be to buy a video game console for $400 and even then you are paying $60 a pop for new games. Using that example, I've definitely spent less than that on my army.

I'm also trying to stretch the dollars that I've spent of 40k even further by playing my army in tournaments and with friends over hopefully the next couple years.
Whenever a mate has said it's too expensive I always ask how much they spend on a night out, they usually answer from £50-£80 and I'm like well that's a months hobby if not 2 for me, I'm not the greatest painter, I'm fairly quick but it's tabletop standard and if I buy two boxes of 40k then that's 6 evenings of hobby for me, without playing with them, more if I can only put an hour or so in at a time
General-Kroll wrote:Exactly, I'd spend at least £100 on a big night out, food, drinks, taxis etc.
Wooooah! Are you going to expensive nightclubs or what lol?! It generally costs me something like under 20$ CAN tips included when I go out with my friends to a bar, a pub, a microbrewry haha!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm

That's quite expensive in your area! Where I generally go, I pay 6$ for a pint of good beer.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Meanwhile I spend maybe 20$ for a night out plus a bit for gas....
Of course I would still rather skip the night out or two a week with friends and just put that towards my models or less expensive foods since I don't all together care for drinking so I would rather just skip that part of the trip to begin with.

Besides that Maulerfiend formation will be mine one day.....
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Having just the other day gotten the new Space Marine tactical Squad, I'm more than happy paying the price when they're this high quality. The main thing I cannot fathom with GW though is that the cost of models don't depreciate over time. Why are some 15 year old troop sets like Plague Marines the same price as new sets? It honestly discourages me from buying models from old armies over the fear of new, better models being announced and feeling like I wasted my money.

That's what every other businesses and markets do and for good reason. Selling old products at the same prices of new products, especially models as old as what GW sells, is not exactly a profitable move. You miss out on the potential market looking to buy a cheap old army they take interest in, in favour of the few individuals who're willing to pay £50 for outdated, metal and poor sister battle squads.

I do want to point out though that while I make a post on the first page about prices being too expensive for most people, I'm not saying that GW has to lower them so those people can afford it, but it shouldn't be surprising that the excessive prices are the primary cause for people not getting into the hobby in the first place. Yeah, people in general spend more on nights out and video games but the experience is a lot more immediate and for many, more appealing. I enjoy modelling and painting and playing tabletop games, but people who don't enjoy even one of those three won't be willing to pay hundreds upfront just to try it.

So if GW still charges current prices for new models, higher if they wanted, but also sold the older models for way cheaper (as every other market does), they'd make the game more accessible to people that would spend money elsewhere. It's easier to convince people to start 40K when they only have to spend £30 rather than £200 for a playable list. Video games that sell hundreds of pounds worth of day 1 DLC still make huge profits so it's not like it'll turn people off buying new models. if anything those new customers who bought 20 plague marines for... let's say £10, would be more willing to buy the new upcoming plague marines than they would before.

TLDR: New models are fine at their prices, older models are not.