Sanctus Reach PC game

If you have something you want to talk about that isn't game-specific, but is still related to wargaming, post it here.
Sperian
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Sanctus Reach PC game

Postby Sperian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:04 am

Hi all

Sorry if there is already a thread about this (I did a quick search and couldn't find one), I was wondering if anyone had played this yet and what their thoughts were?

I bought it on Steam yesterday and played a couple of games. So far I have found the game mechanics to be surprisingly fun and "40k like". It's limited in that it only includes Space Wolves and Orks, and the graphics are basic (and storyline non existent) but I think it's the closest official game in terms of replicating table top play to date.

Thoughts anyone?
Like Orks? (Who doesn't?) Then visit my WIP thread to check out all the looted goodness!

Follow me on Instagram (not all wargame related, but some 40k pictures)

Orks 6600 points - 95% painted
Necrons 3250 points - 85% painted

Tazok
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Sanctus Reach PC game

Postby Tazok » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:30 pm

The animations are bad because the characters move like robots. The most pathetic is when you watch close combat happening. The special effects also are weak. I am pretty sure in the lore meltas does not shoot literal fireballs and Bolters does not shoot yellow balls. And worst of all the gameplay is way too basic. This feels like a really old game when it's not. The only good thing I can say about it is at least it's better than another Warhammer game released recently. Horus Heresy Battle for Tallarn is definitely worse in every way.

Wolfman40k
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby Wolfman40k » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Picked it up this weekend- the game is exactly what is advertised. If you are more expecting more that what is in the gameplay videos you will be disappointed.

It delivers the goods but I do disagree with the "Very positive" Steam rating. The missions are repetitive and the U.I./menu system is pretty barebones. With that said, I would say it is worth $15 but not the full $30.
1850 Space Wolves

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

40K et al PC Games

Postby Guildenstern » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Glad someone started a thread on this! I was wondering as well

I did pick up the (obviously? re-released) bundle of Dawn of War and Goty ed and Space Marines - the latter of which I'm terrible at, because it's twitchy and the controls are annoying for a computer keyboard/mouse, I expect they're better on a controller. The former are RTS C&C types (which I LOVE).

Just mentioning in case anyone is also looking at said bundle, if it goes on sale again. The game play of SM is really really cool, but hard (for me) and the graphics are not nearly as bad as the cutscenes from the RTS Dawn of War versions (OMG Why did they bother?! It's HORRID!)

And so far the RTS is pretty basic, but fun. I mean if you're really into base building like I am, it's a hellova lotta fun, but so far it's been very simplistic. Like I said, C&C just with a 40k twist.

Has anyone tried Man 'O War Corsair? I know Skaven aren't playable sadly (at least in the mode I'd play in) - or I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It sounds like a lot of fun, though apparently the ship to ship melee is still teh suq.

Sadly none of these live up to Mordheim - that game is freak in awesome sauce. Love it so much.

I also have Talisman: Horus Heresy which might also be more fun if I were to play vs another player I guess, instead of the computer... I'm not actually that competitive tho so it was fun for one go but honestly hardly difficult to win. Still it tells a good story and if you get it on sale, it's worth a go.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: 40K et al PC Games

Postby Kovlovsky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Guildenstern wrote:The game play of SM is really really cool, but hard (for me) and the graphics are not nearly as bad as the cutscenes from the RTS Dawn of War versions (OMG Why did they bother?! It's HORRID!)

Whaaaaat? The cutscenes of DoW 1 might be graphically ugly, but these are THE MOST FUNNY I'VE EVER WATCHED!!! Lord Bale + Sindri Myr and Gorgutz Ead Unta are just hilarious!

Lord Bale: *snort* "The thought of kooow-tooowing to these creaturesss disssgust me!"
Sindri Myr: "The Orks are a tool... nothing more. And a quite effective one, I might add."
Lord Bale: "Perhapssss... *snort* But I dislike providing such unnn-predictable aliens with our own weaponryyy!"
Sindri Myr condescending and mocking: "Lord Bale! Orks are not unpredictable... Quite the contrary! You can rely on them to turn against you, but they will honour our agreement as long as you provide them with enemies to satiate... their battlelussst!"
Lord Bale: "If we intimidated them into doing our bidding... SHOW THEM OUR STREEENGTH!!! *snort* They would take pause before betraying usssss!
Sindri Myr even more condescending: "You cannot intimidate something that knows no feaaar! Trouble yourself no longer with the Orks! We will have what we're coming for and be gone before they finish the Imperials and turn on us...

https://youtu.be/5b62RFLvdRk

Or even better Gorgutz quote:

https://youtu.be/FrLPb-Ik5BI

These are among the most hilariously memorable cutscenes in the history of video games!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

JayOBedlam
Now we're getting somewhere...

Postby JayOBedlam » Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I couldn't get down with the camera. Way too close to the action for me. Need to be able to zoom out to take in the whole battlefield to enjoy a PC strategy game.

Return to “General Wargaming Discussion”