It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Hello world!

I am here wondering if bolt throwers are any good. Specifically, spear chukkas, as I play Orcs and Goblins.

Do I put them on a hill using that odd deployment rule? Do I shoot monsters or infantry? What kind of spells do I use on them? etc.?

So, anything helpful and/or humorous would be great.

(Translation from Squiggish: One day, the Squigs will rule the whole everything, and me, SquigBoss, will be the best! Me!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I've heard good things about bolt throwers. I stick with standard war machine deployment of on a hill, or in the middle of my lines. Just be sure to stick something near it so it isn't too big of a target. :lol:

I would say try to use it as a sniper and pick out anything running around alone. It doesn't have the strength to pick out monsters (don't have the book on me, correct me if I'm wrong) but its great against rank and file troops. Just try to hit the MSU's cuz hordes are gonna just shrug off the wounds the throwers can use. I had a friend that made sure to run at least 2 of these.

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
I've heard that in the O&G book bolt throwers are mighty cheap, so you can pack in a bunch of them to reap in ranks of enemy elite units. For Elves... No. Far too overpriced for their effect and survivability.

"Tuomir, you're made of win" -ranger
"Tumor is just plain retarted. Tuomir is cooler than that" -jackmrnorris94
"Tuomir has proven his brilliance in this scenario" -The Airman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Agreed. Especially since you get two per choice, so Go with lots of em. XD

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:38 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Spear chukka's are pretty good for their price, if there are monsters to shoot at go for those first, but heavy cavalry and heavy infantry are also fair game.

I'm a fan of bolt throwers really even the elf ones, but spear chukka's do have a good chance to get their points back, a single chaos knight or saurus cavalry model, even an ogre bull or irongut. If you have several they can also take out big gribbly things like greater daemons, giants and whatnot.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:20 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Personally I'm a fan of Doom Divers for Orcs. The only problem with spear chukkas, and it really is a minor problem, is that they have a 16% of misfiring. They're still worth the 35pts you spend on them. The big problem with them that doesn't involve the rules is that you're looking at about $25 USD per, and since you can horde them very cheaply, monetary cost tends to shoot through the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:10 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

m14 wrote:
you're looking at about $25 USD per

I envy you. They're about $50 here.

On topic, O&G Spear Chukka's are fantastic for the cost. I'd probably pack something like 2-4 of them in a 2000 point game, and if you find yourself with spare points, another 2 is decent. The only problem though is the cost, money wise, so I'd personally probably stick to about 2 because of that reason alone.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:08 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Adding insult to injury, but I checked the price just now, and Spear Chukkas are currently sitting at $29.75USD a piece. For that reason, if you're buying the ones from GW, I don't recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Well if you have some 40k orky bitz, some stray goblins and some savage orc big stabba's it shouldn't be too hard to build your own.

but yeah, $ for point they are even more expensive than mangler squigs, insanity!

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.