It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2500 Point Beastmen List
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Here is my current 2500 Beastmen list. I think it is pretty strong, but i am not entirely sure.

Lords

Beastlord
Golden Sigil Sword (Initiative 10)
Armour of Destiny (Heavy Armour, 4+ Ward Save)
Crown of Command (Stubborn)
Shield

Great Bray Shaman
Level 4 Wizard (Beasts)
Jagged Dagger (Power Dice per Kill)
Fencers Blades (Weapon Skill 10, +1 Attack)
Talismen of Preservation (4+ Ward Save)

Heroes

Wargor BSB
Beast Banner (+1 Strength Banner)
Gnarled Hide (5+ Armour Save)
Heavy Armour
Shield

Bray-Shaman
Level 1 (Shadow)
Herdstone (Power Dice per wizard within 6)

Bray-Shaman
Level 1 (Shadow)
Chalice of Dark Rain (Storm Banner type thing)

Bray-Shaman
Level 1 (Shadow)
Dispel Scroll

Core

38 Gor + Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor
Additional Hand Weapons
Full Command

30 Gor
Additional Hand Weapons
Full Command

5 Ungor Raiders

5 Ungor Raiders

5 Ungor Raiders

5 Ungor Raiders

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

Special

29 Bestigor + Beastlord
Full Command
Banner of Discipline (+1 Leadership)

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

Total: 2498

I think this list has A LOT of hard hitting power, with 2 hordes of high strength units, my small Gor unit is in bus formation for ranks and more defensive combat. I have tonne of ungor raiders for redirection and to reduce shooting etc. And harpies to hunt war machines and redirect. Magic is INSANE in this list, being able to overpower nearly every other race in fantasy with pure magic dice. What makes this armies magic so good is RELIABLILITY. I do not need a good roll to get magic off since i have almost limitless power dice from kills and the herdstone.

Thoughts?

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 pm 

I don't think the Beastlord is hitting hard enough or living long enough. Heavy Armour and a 4+ Ward will only get you so far, but versus other characters, he'll be butchered. You do have the Wargor with a 2+, but most characters will have a high enough strength to drop that to a 4+ or worse, and then you'll be losing your BSB.

Basically, I don't think either of your combat-able characters are killy or survivable enough. They issue a challenge, you accept with your Foe-render, he dies, they issue a challenge next round, and then whichever character you accept with is going to die, or you move one of them to the back of the unit and lose his hitting power completely.

I think you should find some points to make your Beastlord more dangerous and survivable. Even give him the Gnarled Hide instead, and possibly a Potion of Strength or something.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 am 

My wargor is not for combat. Wargor are terrible in combat anyway ^_^ Taking the Beastbanner makes him almost defenseless without gnarled hide.

The Beastlord is not that good in combat either, his stats are good, but nothing special. Like the wargor his role is to lend support. His Ld10 bubble is key to success.

I dont need to find points for my beastlord, he is using all 100 points, so i could just rebuild him from scratch. Any thoughts on how to build him?

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 am 

Well my Beastlord looked like this:

Beastlord - Gnarled Hide, Steel Claws, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Heavy Armour, Shield - 244pts.

Maybe consider giving the Wargor the Armour of Silvered Steel so your Beastlord can take the Gnarled Hide. You could probably drop the Chalice or Fencer's Blades (taking AHW instead) to free up the points for it if need be.

As for the Beastlord, well against a typical S5 character, he'll have a 3+ armour save with rerolls and he generates an extra attack for every save made on top of his 4+D3 S5 attacks, all with a chance to completely ignore armour saves. He's not the worlds greatest combat character, but he can certainly hold his own and will beat down most characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:31 am 

I cant give my Wargor magic items, he is there for the Beastbanner.

My thought is that sure, I might not be able to beat down characters, but at the same time i have immense magic potential which can make an average character into a killer. For example, i can cast Miasma 3 times a turn, with 1 casting i can drop you so you are hitting on 5+ whilst i strike 3+ rerollable. Sure you might hit me hard, but my Ward Save should hold. If my Beast mage decides to help, a Savage Beast will make my already strong character into a god. I am hitting I10 already, so i am likely going first with 7 S8 attacks reroll to hit 3+. If they survive they hit my on 5+ (and no likely no rerolls since ASF reroll is negated by I10), and likely wounding on a 4-3+ (I tend to find S5-6 to be rather common).

It is 100% reliable of course, but this kind of army flows with magic, and magic is always strong. So i can have a fairly support based, infantry killing lord turned into a monster slaying beast in an instant. Whats more, the majortity of attacks are going to be coming from infantry. Again 5+ to hit, average of 6+ to wound.

Maybe it is because i feel kitting our beastlords for killing is just a waste since if you wanted something like that, you could just bring a Doombull who will mince any character in his way...and any unit...and any army XD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am 

Well that's fair enough, I didn't think of it like that. Indeed, let me us how it turns out!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:08 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Hi 'Zeebs,

I think this list is desperately missing a Ghorgon or two! I just love those beasties!

Apart from that I prefer a couple of Razorgors over a small unit of Raiders. You do have a lot of re-directing units and although good you'll need to make sure they don't get in the way of your main units. Don't forget you're not playing Wood Elves here Azeebo!

Regards,
Sparker

"Alea iacta est" / "The die is cast"
Latin phrase attributed by Suetonius to Julius Caesar 49BC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 pm 

Good point. I tend not to use big gribblies even though i LOVE big gribblies. Today i savage dominioned a ghorgon today though! It took 4 wounds from 20 clan rats before mopping up...i almost cried.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:05 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

That's the only problem when monsters don't have armour or ward saves. Pesky infantry seem to roll a terrifying amount of 6's to wound! (except me of course - I learned a long time ago that 80 Zombies cannot take the last wound from a Ghorgon no matter how much I roll!)

Regards,
Sparker

"Alea iacta est" / "The die is cast"
Latin phrase attributed by Suetonius to Julius Caesar 49BC