Arnathos's's Empire WIP

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Arnathos's's Empire WIP

Post by Arnathos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:04 am

So yeah, I gots me a battalion last week, some wizards and a witch hunter as a present from Stanfar(Totally awesome!). Adding to that 10 state troops and 5 metal greatswords I got, like ages ago, somewhere circa may 2008, I've started on building and painting an empire army, or rather painting a building, but the result is the same, somewhat.

So far I am loving it, I've had a soft spot for empire ever since 2004ish when I used a friends empire army with great success, guess range mortars where the bomb. I had great fun with it, as it seems I had good guessing skills, that one game I guessed about every shot spot on.

Now, guess range mortars are gone, but I can't help but love the empire, the only reason I never started it is because I didn't dare paint all those faces and was afraid I'd fail at it. back in 2008 I did try a soft start of fantasy after a long hiatus, but it didn't work out, a lack of supplies and no gaming group of friends made it difficult and I gave up.

Now I dusted off my daemons and they are all fine and dandy, but not really my favourite army ever despite being powerful. So with the release of 8th edition empire I plan to make myself an army, so here is the first few pics:

My army so far:

My grey Wizard, with some light conversion work, he is hard to take a pic of:

My first 10 state troops, some have been painted years back with limited colours available:

My first 15 greatswords, the 5 older models have also been painted with limited colours available:

Now yes I know, their bases are not coloured, but it's not a priority. I also know some of the models painted earlier are pretty awful looking, but I can't be bothered to strip them and paint them again.

I can take some pics of the back ranks of the greatswords as they are somewhat individual models and stuff.

Also the banners do not have any heraldry on them, as I do not want to ruin them as I have no free hand experience whatsoever, I think I'll practice a bit on the extra banners that come with the empire kits before painting up the banners proper.

Lastly, yes, my dudes are white and purple(grey wizard being an exception) I like white and purple, most of my models that are not dedicated to a chaos god are purple, my guardsmen and their tanks, what little space marines I have and my squad of necron warriors with scarabs are purple and boltgun metal, with some green.

Feel free to comment/critique/suggest/hate.

P.S: A list of unpainted models:
1 bright(fire) wizard(might make him a gold one(metal) not sure yet)
1 Witch hunter
8 Knightly orders(being converted for GW(great swords swords as the battalion lacks hammers)
20 state troops(most likely to be halbadiers)
10 Crossbowmen/Handgunners(thinking crossbows, but neither are usefull from what I hear, awesome bits though)

Knights are next on the to do list, after that the witch hunter.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

darkmessiah
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Arnathos's's Empire WIP

Post by darkmessiah » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 am

looking pretty good a wash of badab black would work wonders on them

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:58 am

Very nice man. I really like the wizard! Nice greys and I like the hair. Hard to do black hair (for me).

For the banners.. have you looked into water transfers? Im bad at freehand and find a transfer can work very well.

What kind of empire list are you going for?
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Azeebo
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Azeebo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am

Looking good man, looking forward to tracking your progress ^_^

A quick wash of badab black (Nuln Oil now i think) or Devlan Mud (Agrax Earthshade???) might work well on them. That said, im loving the white and purple scheme. And grats on the eyes, i never paint eyes...and tend to only use helmeted heads to avoid having to do them lol, look great.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks for the comments! I might try some washes at some point, I've also looked into nicking some of the bret transfers from my wife's knights, they are just a tad small.

The eyes are sort of hit and miss, I just use skull white and try and aim a dot of chaos black on them, it either works or makes them look like deranged people.

List wise I was thinking about combined arms leaning towards infantry heavy. Thinking of getting another battalion and a general/BSB box. I'm not sold on the wiz wagon models, but I think I'll eventually have to get some of those. But I figure for now I can't go wrong with more state troops and such.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm

I like the wizard wagon models, not so sure on their rules for the points cost. Seem a bit meh overall...although i do see their usefulness in an infantry force.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

BewareOfTom
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

zomg, I love the faces!
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 am

So yeah, I realise this is almost thread necromancing, but I've been working on my empire dudes still! I've managed to finish my first 8 knightly orders. The horses took a bit for me to finish, as well as figuring out the colour scheme. I'm satisfied with the result, they are not super quality, but at least table top quality.

Here's the lot of them:

The preceptor, his left hand is in a goofy position, but I'll roll with it, I couldn't be bothered to charge it.

The musician, I gave him a head from the greatsword sprue, because I hate the basic musician head, it looks like a chicken.

And last but not least, the Standard bearer, for him I nicked a knight errant head from my wife's brettonia bits, and I put a twin tailed comet on the stick from the greatsword sprue.

The normal knights are all armed with greatswords' greatswords, because the battalion doesn't come with the white wolf sprue, but I think it worked out ok.

Next on the list is the witchhunter, after that 20 halbadiers!

Also I didn't do their bases, might just put a bit of chaos black on there, maybe even eventually decorate their bases, but meh.

P.S. Images uploaded with imageshack.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 am

Nice man! I like the faces. I have such a hard time with faces! Your eyes are perfect, alot of people get crazy eyes going, but yours seem to be... focused, like they are looking at something and not one eye this way and the other eye another way.
I also like the scar.... looks like it hurts!

Also.... if its a WiP, you wont get trouble for necroing.....I think.... It would count as a blog right.....correct me if Im wrong Mods!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

I don't see any reason that someone would consider it Necroing if the thread is obviously a WIP, and the person posting is the OP. Also love the look of the models! If you are still debating on how to build the crossbows/handgunners, look at forge world first, they have a kit that is combined with the handgun bits I believe that will end up letting you get two units out of that one box.

Noc

Edit: Link http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/T ... N-SET.html
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 am

@Cam, thanks! This empire army is my first actual attempt at faces, the eyes usually need a few tries to get them right. I'm glad I'm putting some effort into them though, my guardsmen just have fully pink faces, it looks ok from 6ft or so away but up close it looks shoddy.

@Noc Those are some sexy handgunners! I will definitely consider getting myself a couple of those. And more sure about making the normal kit into crossbowmen.

Can't wait to get my witch hunter finished, only had time to paint it black so far. The state troops and crossbowmen after that should make my empire force look almost like an army.

I'll likely be getting some extra cash in a couple of weeks, thinking about getting another battalion, a general and some cannon, should give me some nice options for a 1000 point force.

EDIT:

So I went myself into a painting frenzy and finished the witch hunter. I must say I absolutely love the model, it is so sexy! It is detailed, stylish and fits in well with the rest of the empire infantry, while still standing out.

So without further ado, pictuars!

Front side:

Side, side?

Back side:
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Stanfar
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Stanfar » Sat May 05, 2012 6:13 am

Have to say that your models look great. ^^ I really need to start to post up my Ogres soon. And so jealous about that witch hunter... it is so great looking model.
Looking forward to the halbardies. Looks great.
Stanfar out.
Game scores 2016
40k 4/0/8
Fantasy 3/0/1

Let's have a fun games or die in cheese! :D

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue May 08, 2012 3:16 am

Thanks! :D And I can't thank you enough for the witch hunter, such an awesome model to get as a present!

Anyway, to show you guys that I am not totally slacking off, I took some pictures of my halbadiers, that I just assembled, partially anyway, the actual weapons I tend to paint seperately.
I've also replaced the heads of the musician and champion of the first 10 halbadiers to improve on them, make them look more awesome, and overall improve upon them as I wasn't happy with their old faces.

Pictuars!

So yeah, on towards the priming process!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Warboss T
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warboss T » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm

This all looks great, I'm really liking the great weapon conversions on those knights, especially since now inner circle knights are core units, that gives you some troops with quite a punch on the charge!
Space Marines: 1500 points (all painted) Ultramarines
Orks: 1700 points (all painted) Badmoon/Goffs
Imperial Guard: 2000 ( all painted) Cadian 8th
Empire:2000 points ( about 50% painted) talabecland
Vampire Counts: 2000 points (20% painted) Sylvania

kilpikonnas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by kilpikonnas » Thu May 10, 2012 3:33 am

very nice, I love the purple scheme!
Working on an Ork army
Looted Ravager WIP