It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:27 am 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Hey all, thanks for checking out this topic! Over the coming months (probably quite a few months actually, I am a slow painter) I will be building a mighty host of the reptilian kind and I want your help! (Metaphorically speaking)

I am stuck in 7th edition, I do not have the new rulebook and I probably won't for some time, so I have scrapped my old list and I am going to start again, from the ground up. I will be using the new paints and I aim to post my progress atleast once a week, showcasing models, units and maybe even battle-reports!

Now I have only had a few very minor Warhammer games, so I will need help creating a list so any advice on what to get would be greatly appreciated. I will be creating my army in increments, this should allow me to see my progress better and play more games! 1k is the first milestone, anyone who has advice feel free to comment!

The units I have now are:
16 Saurus Warriors
10 Temple Guard
1 Kroxigor
Chakax

The next thing to get as I am sure everyone will agree is the Battleforce.

Now enjoy some eye candy ;)

Sorry about the picture quality, even though I use a light box my camera isn't all that good.

Stay tuned!

Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

Last edited by TheTemplar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

That is 3 WIP in about 3 days...wow ^_^

Looking good dude, dont worry about picture quality...its fine. MY picture quality is bad...yours is great :)

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:16 am 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Thanks Zee! One thing I probably should've mentioned was part of the reason for me starting this was because of Azeebo's new Bretonnian WIP, so thanks for the motivation :D

Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:25 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Yes! Another follower of the master race! :twisted:

Lizardmen are great. Just a well balanced army that allows for many different play styles.

Black Templars: 5000
W-T-L: 32-8-9
Lizardmen 3500
W-T-L: 11-0-3
Necrons: 3000
W-T-L: 10-3-6
"We play by Texas Warhammer 40K rules. The only rule is to know the rules."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:07 am 
Silver Vault Member

I spent a while painting today, and much to my disappointment, without anything to show for it.

I used the paints suggested in the new "How to paint citadel miniatures" book, but unfortunately there was NOT ONE Lizardman in the entire 134 pages. I was quite annoyed.

So after undercoating all of the Saurus with chaos black, then spraying the basecoat of Stegadon Scale Green on them, I washed the entire unit with Coelia greenshade, exactly as suggested. But the next two paints were somewhat of a guess, I could only assume that the darker paint was for the scales and the lighter for the skin, like what it has always been.

Well, that didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. The Saurus champion came out way too bright, so I tried to dull down the colour with another wash of coelia greenshade...well the paint sure did it's job, he's green all right - seaweed coloured you might even say.

I think the Saurus looks even better in the picture than IRL too (other than the wash also made the skin look blotchy).

Here are a few photos that give a better idea of the seaweed saurus' colour,

This above photo showed the difference between the Saurus who was too bright (following the suggested colour range) , and the Saurus who WAS too bright but had an extra wash applied.

That one shows a comparison between seaweed saurus and a Temple Guard painted in the old colours

Hmmm. Not sure what to do. Whenever something like this happens I always lose motivation. Anybody have ideas?

I also drafted up a 1k point army list, but that can wait ;)

Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

Last edited by TheTemplar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:38 am 
Silver Vault Member

Using advice gathered from around forums and my own knowledge, I have devised a most ingenious Lizardmen force!
Feedback is definitely appreciated :wink:

Scar Veteran
Light Armour
Great Weapon
BSB
(One question - can he be a BSB and have a great weapon, I'm just not sure of the 8th ed rules and whether the great weapon is two handed, preventing use of the BS)

Skink Priest
Level 2
Shield of the mirrored pool (If the Saurus cannot have the great wep I'll give him this shield instead)

20 Saurus Badasses
Full command
Spears

12 Skink skirmishers

Stegadon

2 Salamander hunting packs
+ 2 handlers

Tell me what you think!

P.S Thanks to Azeebo for the advice on the Salamanders

P.P.S If anyone has advice for the painting side of things, please help!

Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
All armies with an army book from 7th edition or after are allowed to give shields and 2 handed weapons to their BSB, this includes Lizardmen. To my knowledge only dwarfs, brettonia and wood elves are not allowed to give mundane weapons and or a shield to their BSB.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:32 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Glad i could be of some motivation. For the record, i really like both colour schemes. Dark blue looks more menacing, but the light blue looks really snazzy as well.

I like the list. I personally feel Saurus should be in ranks of 7. You have a perfect formation, 3 ranks of 7 will fit your 20 saurus plus BSB. The reason for this is, you have 2 ranks, a banner but you still get a high number of attacks without having to fork out for a horde (which requires an additional 9 saurus at least) Unit of 21 will be packing 28 attacks with your spears, 29 with your champion and of course your BSB gets his attacks afterwards.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the points level? Im assuming 1000-1250?

You could consider upgrading your stegadon into an engine of the gods if it is 1) legal in your points limit and 2) if you can find the points. It is not quite as good in combat, but i do believe it has a better armour save and other defensive stats. In addition to that, it gives you army wide bonuses which could be good for keeping your guys alive, and it gives your skin priest a 2 plus armour save i do believe, which is great.

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 am 
Silver Vault Member

Sorry, my list is 1000 points, I don't know how I missed that!
It is currently EXACTLY 1000 points, so not much room for an engine :O

The one thing I am not sure about is what to do with the skink priest - the shield lets whatever unit the character is in reflect magic missiles (on a 2+ :mrgreen: ), but the only real unit for that is the Saurus. So should I put the priest with the Saurus? I kinda figured that he wouldn't be much use once the unit got into combat and I'm not sure how spellcasting in combat works in 8th (it probably doesn't).

Oh and I think I will be using the darker scale colour as the skin tone and the bright skin as the scale colour. Kind of the opposite of what is usually done, but I think it will make them more unique :)

Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]