orcs en goblins 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
skaven 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
tomb kings 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
vampire counts 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: starting fantasy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
yo mini wargamers

after months of nagging against a friend to start warhammer 40K he finaly gave in half way as he hates scyfi but loves fantasy
so he started with dwarves
and now I want to start with fantasy to but I don't know what army
visualy I already chose 5 armies namely:
skaven
lizardmen
Orcs and Goblins (as I play orks in 40K and I heard that they are equally funny in fantasy)
Tomb kings (just cause they let me think of necrons my first army)
and vampire counts
now my question to you guys is what are the pro's and cons
and in big lines the fluff of these army's
(of course without breaking copyright rules)
also I added a poll to see what army you would start if you could chose between these five

my photobucket album

Post subject: Re: starting fantasy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Skaven
Skaven exist in a domain known as the under empire. A empire that spans the majority of the warhammer world, but exists almost entirely incognito since its underground and civilians are told they dont really exist. They are paranoid, drugged addled rats with immense technology and rather hilarious units. Skaven are THE horde army of fantasy, but also pack some punch with there more expenisve stuff. You have hordes of rats, massively mutated and altered vermin such as Hell Pits and Rat Ogres, insane weaponry like THE DOOM ROCKET, Warp Lightning Cannon and Rattling Guns etc. Its a very competitive book, able to cover combat, shooting and magic very well, although the scale of the army can be off putting.

Lizardmen
Considered a very single track army due to age, lizardmen come from the tropical jungles of lustria, and are the chosen of the Old Ones (essentially the creators of everything). Packing insanely strong, and tough troops, interesting warmachines, the best wizard in the game, monsters and even flying units, Lizardmen can handle them selves in just about any situation. Because of this, they are more elite than other armies.

Orcs and Goblins
Orcs are big, brutal and blood thirsty, packing huge weapons to chop things up. Deadly on the charge, a mob of boys can go toe to toe with just about anything. Elite units like Savages, and Black Orcs can duke it out with the best of them, and leadership is generally pretty high if near a boss. Goblins are the complete opposite, being weak, scared but very sneaky, Drugged up to the eye balls on mushrooms, they employ all kinds of wacky weapons such as Fanatics (goblins swinging cannon balls in a drunken frenzy) and the DOOM DIVER (goblin suicide bombers...no joke). Individually capable, but together a force to be reckoned with. Considered by many to be one of the best books in 8th.

Tomb kings
Written by the much hated Cruddance, the book is full of design flaws and questionable decision. Powerful characters, insane magic and the warhammer version of the ark of the covenant make them a decent army to play, but the majority of the book is over priced, and somewhat lacking. To make it work, you need to really work with synergy. OH, and the models are either not in production, or very expensive...always a downer.

vampire counts
Like tomb kings, only written by the god of all GW writers. The bulk of your force is chaff, hordes of undead dying in droves. Your more elite troops however are insanely powerful, your magic is immense and your characters are incrediably potent in a scrap. Half elite, half horde. One of the more balanced books in 8th.

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
so I read correctly skavens are insanely funny
lizardmen are though lizards with good weapons
orcs are great fighters
tombkings are like the old necrons expensive in game and as model
and vampires counts is a good balanced army
hmmm now you helped me to scrap one of my list
and I realy like the skavens for them being rats and funny
although I don't like one minded creatures (and here I contradict myself as I love necrons) I find lizardmen kinda apealing
and I saw some more of vampire counts so I'm almost sold to them
damn I stil don't know what to pick maybe I can leave orcs be as I already have an orc army
so that leaves 3 armies ...
what army would be best for a starting fantasy player of those three?

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 pm 

Depends. Vampire Counts and skaven are very expensive to start. Skaven because you need a lot of guys, vampire counts because you need a lot of guys AND THEN SOME because you can summon more in game for free.

Lizardmen are probably the cheapest bet, since they are expensive points wise, somewhat cheap money wise. Decent sized force could probably be gathered by investing in a battalion or 2, a stegadon and a slaan or something. Or if you dont want everything in the batalion, pick up a few boxes of saurus, couple boxes of temple guard, stegadon and a slaan. Should come to just over £100.

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:51 pm 

I put down Tomb Kings, but you asked what I would collect. I already have Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, and Skaven. I really like Skaven and VC come in a close second.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting