Azeebos first Breton: A Bretonnia Work in Progress

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Azeebos first Breton: A Bretonnia Work in Progress

Post by m14 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 pm

You list doesn't fit my preferences, but it doesn't mean it's not bad. I liked to take 2 units of 9 knights, Damsel, BSB on foot, 30-40 M@A, and some flaming archer sprinkled in at 1k. That seemed to work quite well. Your horses look quite good by the way. Have you tried using the textures yet?

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm

You sir have made me VERY happy with this thread.

I have a suggestion for your painting, take it or leave it, but if you want, you could paint the knights that are with your general in the same colour scheme. I do that for mine for well, its fluff reasons. In my fluff, my general choose second or third born sons as his personal body guards, being a fourth born son he's being a bit of a nice guy and trying to give the younger guys leg up.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:29 pm

I like them all painted different... These are all lords of various houses and look best all mixed up.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Im leaning towards everyone being unique.

I am currently struggling with white...its a nasty colour. I have somewhat given up on it, i am thinking of a red and black knight as a replacement. Sort of worrying about a yellow knight...

Im in my local store on saturday, so i am going to try and get some tips on painting up the brighter knights...and the Green Knight *shiver*

I would take a damsel at 1k, but in all honesty i dont like the models, and there is not a replacement model i particularly like...so as of right now im being cheap and not bothering XD
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I used to hate white. I always did a base coat of codex grey and build it up for horses and Deheb ( I hope that's right) stone for clothes.

Yellow I used snake bite yellow and built up with a mixture of that and sun burst yellow, or I used Iyadan ( I also hope that's right). Of course you would have to look up the equivalent on in the new range, or which ever paint range you use.

And like I said, its your preference. I like it it because it was a good way to go between all the army the same colour, which I saw a lot of, and the everyone being unique... that and I think I was starting to run out of colour schemes, since most bret armies don't use green and I *hate* orange.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:12 am

Here is my second horse all ready and waiting for its master. As you can see, it is black with white shield. The Ceramite White in the new range is great for doing small areas like that ^_^ 1 coat over black is all it took.

This is the mount for my standard bearer. I want all my knights to be somewhat coherent...so to make this black knight match the unit champion, the banner is going to have the champions heraldry, which makes sense to me since he is the most senior knight in the unit. Simple and effective i guess.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 am

Currently painting:

Standard Bearer
Musician.

The black horse is for the standard bearer, and as mentioned i have gave him the banner bearing the champions heraldry.

Musician is something WAAAAY beyond what i normally do...i have done freehand! Just to prepare you, its just checks...but hand drawn from scratch so im pretty happy with how they turned out. Its blue barding, with white and red checks for heraldry.

My fourth knight will be yellow, trying out the new yellow range from citadel.

Keep an eye out today for pics of my standard bearer and musician.

Thought of the moment: Bretonnian's are so much fun to paint...its insane. I have never had this much fun painting an army. As long as you have some coherency with the colours, it should look ok. And it has even got me to be all risky with my painting by doing freehand :)

Todda

Post by Todda » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:21 am

You need a Macro setting on your camera... even my cheap cell phone has one. Turn it on.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 am

I use a video camera...it has no picture taking option, as a result it has no macro option. Working with what i have on hand at the moment :/

Todda

Post by Todda » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 am

No smart phone? I got one of those cheap'o pay as you go smart phones and never activated it... basically a $50 iPod Touch and installed Text Plus Voice app (and a 16GB memory stick) so I can use it as a WiFi phone (and fit tons of pictures, videos, books and music on there). Even this piece'o junk has macro and white balance setting for florescent that actually work. I rarely bother with my digital camera any more, even though it has a higher pixel count. Besides my camera's WB was horrible for Florescent.

This is not the best focus, but I was not checking the photos until I got home, so the focus is off a bit, but still not bad for a cheap digital phone...

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 pm

So here is my completed banner bearer:

As you can see, just a simple black and white knight with a banner that bears the champions heraldry. I think it turned out pretty good.

And my half finished horse for my musician:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think the check design came out really well for my first attempt. The knight who rides this steed has a shield with the same checked design, however his horn has some cloth that bears the champions heraldry. Again, just to tie him into the champion more, since i envision the horn and the banner to come from his armoury.

Again, sorry for poor pic quality, i will try and get something sorted sooner rather than later.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Those checkers must have been a pain to paint! Do the new paints also help in that? Looking good!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes they were rather time consuming, and no the new paints dont do much to help it XD

Glad its out of the way...i got to prep my self for the dreaded yellow!

Custardjive
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Custardjive » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:35 pm

The knights are looking awsome. Cant wait to see them on sat. Btw you should paint one black and yellow and name it Custard after me because as you well know i was junior indoor jousting champion in 2001
Join the fight against the Zebra. They are the doom of us all.

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Oh yes i remember, you managed to knock me from my mount with a firm thrusted shaft to my chest. Those were the days ^_^

My plans for the first yellow knight is yellow barding, red and black heraldry split into quarters.