Azeebos first Breton: A Bretonnia Work in Progress

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Azeebo
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Azeebos first Breton: A Bretonnia Work in Progress

Post by Azeebo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm

So i had 2 fantasy games today, 1 at 1250 and 2000 points (2v2, 1000 points each).

Game One: Bretonnia Vs Vampire Counts: Blood and Glory

Bit of background info:

The player i am against is a great guy, but not very competitive. Really fun to play against and a really good mate. So, we agreed the points level, wrote up the lists and played out a quick 1.25k game.

Lists

Bretonnia

Heroes

Paladin
Gromril Great Helm
Mantle of Elaina

Paladin
BSB
Enchanted Shield
Dawnstone

Core

8 Knights of the Realm
Full command

8 Knights of the Realm
Full command

40 men at arms
full command

10 Bowmen

10 Bowmen

Rare

3 Pegasus knights

Vampire Counts (roughly)

Lord

Master Necromancer
Level 4
Talismen of Preservation

Heroes

Wight King
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Shadow Shroud

Cairn Wraith

Core

30 Crypt Ghouls
Champion

30 Skeleton Warriors + Wraith
Full Command

Special

7 Black Knights
Full Command

5 Hex Wraiths

20 Grave Guard + necromancer + wight king
Full command
Banner of barrows

So i vanguarded my peg knights up, as his hex wraiths came up my right flank. His turn 1 saw 13 zombies summoned and 4 bowmen killed by the hex wraiths, my counter saw my knights move up, my peasants charge the new zombies, 1 unit of knights go up the extreme left flank to threaten his black knights, the peg knights fly behind his lines threatening EVERYTHING and my second unit of knights moves up the right flank, keeping in line with my men at arms to provide buffs and a reroll. Men at Arms destroy the zombies, and reform to keep the enemy in the front arc.

Threatened by the left most knights, his knights, not in charge range moved into position to see both peg knights and regular knights, whilst his ghouls reformed to face the peg knights, and his skeletons fail to charge. Hex wraiths move to slowly to catch my knights, and flail around doing nothing the rest of the game. Zombies are summoned to cause my trouble, as usual.

My left knights charge the flank of the ghouls, my right knights make an extreme charge into the opposite flank and the men at arms hit the rear. Combat was a farce, everyone overran out of charge arcs, and my men at arms overran into the black knights.

Skeletons reform to face the new HUGE threat behind him, as do his grave guard. More zombies are summoned, but other than that, nothing gets through. My men at arms tear apart his black knights with ease due to flank charge, ranks and 2 kills with none in return. They crumble and i reform. My peg knights and 1 unit of knights hit his skeletons, 1 in the front, 1 in the rear and turn them into dust. His grave guard charge my peg knights, his wizard miscasts and kills 14 grave guard (most are summoned back), and 2 peg knights. Peg knights are cut down, but my 18 knights and men at arms once again get off a devastating combo charge wiping them out, winning the game.

Was a good game, very fun. Some lucky charges by me, and despite having no magic weapons, being able to avoid the hex wraiths all game was certainly a good thing. Men at arms were men of the match, they were in every major combat, got the most kills, and gave the most resolution...and only 4 or so died...and they soloed black knights very nicely. Peg knights a close second since they just caused absolute havock. They are FAR to good to simply ignore on your rear arc, but not good enough to really dedicate forces too...the perfect harassment. A lot of fun, but we knew it was game over once i had broken through his lines about turn 2.

Game 2 will be posted eventually
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

imperialork3
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by imperialork3 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 am

Good game show us more knights!!!!!
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am

When i get some time, i will post pictures of my 3 new knights. Chances are, this will be on Monday.

Game Two Bretonnia & Vampire Counts Vs Tomb Kings & Lizardmen

Cant remember the exact lists, but mine and the vampire lists are pretty similar to last game, our foes had chariots, stalkers, 2 level 4's, one of which a slaan, temple guard block, saurus block and a skeleton block.

Quick recap basically sees ghouls hit saurus head on, and get absolutely slaughtered by the lizardmen...in a single round of combat. My men at arms hit the tomb king chariots with a long range charge and absolutely mince them in combat...again, men at arms charging cav like units are amazingly effective. My generals unit hit some stalkers, wipe them out and overrun into the heirophant killing him tje turn after. His tmob king is killed by knights and grave guard combo charge ending the tomb kings and leaving the lizardmen alone.

Game ends due to time constraints, a solid win to us, but we call it a draw since the lizardmen force was untouched, and both our forces had taken some losses to the tomb king advance, namely me losing 3 knights to skeleton warriors and my bowmen fleeing and of course, losing our main horde of ghouls. Good game overall, the players were great.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Todda

Post by Todda » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 am

Azeebo wrote:Good game overall, the players were great.
This is the one thing that worries me. About a year ago my store had a huge click that had a falling out with the owners... mostly because their friends that worked there opened their own store a few blocks away and quit with no notice. They took about 30 of the 50 players at the time. Since then we have grown a lot.. Now the thing is the store I go to makes money of manufacturing historical miniatures and the GW stuff is just to make better use of the historical gaming tables (they play 4-6 times a year). We all knew they could not survive at that store, but they have several owners in the background, so there is a chance this was a big LLC tax write-off. The big problem is their lease is up and they will need a lot more money from the owners to stay afloat. We figure there is about a 50% chance they will close this summer when their lease is up.

Long story short.. about 5 of the worst people to play against went with them and it has been pretty peaceful since then. Well Friday two from the other store came in and one of them bought some stuff. Te other is one of those guys that will only play the strongest army and only the most cheese lists he finds on line... and brags about it... He saw our post about Warmachines and saw we were working on our armies for a training day on Sunday (4 new players) and seemed really interested. I just got my models the day before and the thought of him playing was almost enough to make me NEVER want to play the gamer again. I hope he does not show up Sunday. We have about 2 players that have played off and on for maybe 2 years and 4 players that have been playing for the last month or two and the other 4 are playing for their first time Sunday. This is just one of those 5 or so bad players, but he is likely at the top. Two of them pull rules out their but and insist they are right, but if you look it up they will just say it is no fun playing against you because you are a power gamer and say they just got it mixed up with an old rules set or army book. A few play with the dice are just argue too much or throw dice across the room when they roll bad... that kind of thing. They also all hated playing against me because I would call them of their cheats. They forced me to actually really learn the rules well, expect their lists to be wrong, have to watch their dice rolls.... It is just not fun playing against them.

I just get the feeling the other store is closing and this 'click' will wander back. We have been seeing a new deserter almost every week already. Most of them would be very welcome back.

Now I'm not saying I am an angel at playing. I for the longest time put too much on winning and always took my strongest lists (at least these were my own lists though). Now I weaken my lists a bunch, but I still tend to play to win too much. I am trying though to just have fun. That is part of the reason I am starting Warmachines, but then yesterday several people were saying Cryx had the most OP lists... :P
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:53 pm

We have a few SUPER competitive players in our store, 1 of which wins every tournement in the north of england from what i hear...the great thing is though, they are all great people despite having insane lists. I will admit i try to write good lists, i want my list to be the best my book has to offer, to offset this, i tend to veer towards the harder books, so even my best lists require a lot of work to...well...work. Got to say, lucky to have the community in our store. The younger kids are eager to learn, talk to you, want to give you a game every now and then to test their metal, the teenagers are competitive, but again are eager to learn...and teach you in some cases. And anyone older either doesnt care if he wins or loses, and goes totally fluffy and for fun...or is super uber competitive, but is a great guy...you tend to laugh as he destroys you...its great ^_^ Oh...and we have CustardJive...i wont even get into the hilarity he brings each saturday XD

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:13 am

My favourite part was when the Lizardmen killed things :lol:
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]