It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Lady_Soria wrote:
They look great so far! As for Transfers, my best advice would be to use a *barely* damp brush to help you out with putitng them on if you help getting them to lay flat.

Thanks a lot Soria :)

Just a quick confirmation, AVERLAND SUNSET, the new yellow base does cover over black REALLY well, and with 2 coats is almost flawlessly smooth. Cassandora Yellow, the new yellow shade is actually more orangey, and i am waiting for it to dry, but i have high hopes and im going to top off the yellow mix with some new Yriel Yellow, which looks pretty nice. Hopefully,it will all come together really nicely. I saw an Imperial Fist Army fully painted (only about 1k) using just these 3 yellows...and it looks amazing. He had 1 test model with new new sepia tone, and he said it looks great as well on yellow, but makes it look more dirty whilst Cassandora Yellow makes it looks more bright. Perfect for brets then!

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Brets and Space marines have very similar ideas... ' Camouflage is for cowards.'

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:37 am 

My first yellow knight did not turn out so good, but i learned a lot. Reprimed it and giving it another go ^_^ Should have pics of it if works.

Also tried my first white knight using some new paints, same thing though. Did a few mistakes, learned and trying again.

I have got a red knight in the works at the moment, he is going to have a black and yellow heralrdy i think.

Going to try and get a few games in on Saturday, probably against Vampires, Ogres, Daemons and Warriors of Chaos. Going to use the list i posted earlier, and maybe change it up, dropping my knights from 15 to 9 and taking 3 peg knights. Not 100% on that yet.

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hmmmm Gah. I way too rusty to even suggest advice for playing and tactics.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:45 am 

Azeebo marches to war!

Thats right, the rainbow knights (unofficial name for now) are going to war, and are packing this:

Heroes

Paladin
BSB
Warbanner
Virtue of +1 combat res
Warhorse
Shield
Lance

Paladin
Gauntlets of the Duel
Virtue of Confidence (i think)
Warhorse
Shield
Lance

Core

9 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Banner of Swiftness

40 Men-at-Arms
Full Command
Polearms

10 Archers
Flaming Arrows

10 Archers
Flaming Arrows

Rare

3 Pegasus Knights
Champion

Seems like a sold list. Infantry, knights, archers and flying cav. My BSB is a combat res machine. On the charge, the unit will get a static combat res of:

8. 1 for charging, 3 ranks, 1 banner, 1 bsb, 1 warbanner, 1 virtue ^_^

Will post battle reports tonight with progress, as well as pictures of my painting yellow, white and red horses (maybe full knights if im finished those in time)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I still say a brettonian BSB is not allowed a lance and shield, as per page 67 of the brettonian rulebook, on the right side of the page under ** Army battle standard, third paragraph. He may not be given any additional equipment, except for a warhorse, which must be barded.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:57 pm 

Arnathos wrote:
I still say a brettonian BSB is not allowed a lance and shield, as per page 67 of the brettonian rulebook, on the right side of the page under ** Army battle standard, third paragraph. He may not be given any additional equipment, except for a warhorse, which must be barded.

I did not know that, thanks for the heads up ^_^

Anyway, this is a quick breakdown of what happened in my 2 games today:

Bretonnia Vs Vampire Counts

- Knights of the Realm smashed into a horde of ghouls with a character killy wight king. Due to terrible luck, i was killing blowed in the challenge, but due to my insane static combat res, and huge losses from the charge, the entire unit crumbled and i overran.

- Men at arms slogged it out with a block of skeletons and reliably won round after round. After being dropped to roughly 50% my knights had gotten into position for a flank charged and destroyed them instantly.

- Pegasus Knights kited his grave guard and crypt horrors all game before finally committing to taking out the horrors. Unable to strike hard enough, i got locked in combat and multi assaulted by zombies. Despite odds, i held in combat for 3 turns. Knight eventually destroyed the horrors.

- Men at arms rear charge his grave guard, but due to fluffing my attacks i totally failed, fled and was destroyed.

Since i lost my peg knights, general and men at arms it was a tie with 600 points (roughly) each. Overall i think i did well for my first game, and my knights were easily men of the match destroying everything they touched. The static combat res (8+) is absolutely insane, and turns a rubber lance charge into an almost sure fire win.

Bretonnia Vs Warriors of Chaos

- My knights of the realm charged his chaos warriors and wiped them out with a flank charge and overun, i went too far and clashed with his chaos Knights. With my flank badly exposed he hits me with a horde of Khorne warriors with 2 hand weapons. Despite the odds, i lost only 2 knights thanks to high armour saves and i killed a fair few knights. Even when flanked, my static res + kills won me the combat by 1, his knights fled but warriors held.

- Men at Arms charge the rear of the now locked up khorne warriors (now without frenzy) and whilst losing a few, i manage to wrack up insane combat res again, and ran them down before double charging his marauders + general taking them out in 1 fell swoop.

- Peasant Archers, over the course of the game shot down FOUR!! Chaos Knights...they were totally pro.

My general thought is...get the charge...they will break. My static res is so high, and since i have a fair few ranks i have a good chance of removing steadfast. This was evident in the warriors match when an impossible situation was won with static res alone.

Loads of fun to play, think i might pick some grail knights up in the future...they look pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Glad you did good! It feels great working hard on an army and having it pay off, even if you don't win them all the satisfaction is where it's at!
Did the chaos player give you an evil look when your bowmen took out his knights. I know I would :P
A lucky arrow in the gut is no way to gather skulls for the skull throne

Bretonnia 3000+ W-2
Eldar 3500
Star Wars X-Wing W-7
FoW American 101st Paratroopers 2000pts
FoW German Grenadier Kompanie 2000pts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm 

Awesomely done Zeebs! My first game was against a Chaos player... it was both of our first games actually.. ah... memories.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:45 pm 

venomedpenguin wrote:
Glad you did good! It feels great working hard on an army and having it pay off, even if you don't win them all the satisfaction is where it's at!
Did the chaos player give you an evil look when your bowmen took out his knights. I know I would :P
A lucky arrow in the gut is no way to gather skulls for the skull throne

Those 2 units of archers killed 4 chaos knights, 4 marauder horsemen and 1 single khorne chosen over course of the game. Talk about bad butt XD

Lady_Soria wrote:
Awesomely done Zeebs! My first game was against a Chaos player... it was both of our first games actually.. ah... memories.

Im glad i finally took the plunge into brets. Years of loving the look of them, but fearing the painting. Not only do i love painting them, but i love playing them as well! Nothing quite like seeing the lance formation pound the chosen warriors of chaos into the dirt.

Im thinking in my next list iteration, take a Damsel with the Prayer Icon of Quenelas and throw her in with my Men-at-Arms so they get the blessing, probably take the lore of Beasts with her. +1 S & T is pretty snazzy, but life does give you the chance to bring back the dead and heal wounds etc. hmmm...oh and i will likely drop the peg knights and replace them with actual knights...or expand my current knight unit to 15. May have to make my damsel a Prophetess to fit points allocation, or make my paladin a duke...not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:49 pm 

I like Bretonnia too, but the lack of viable option made me grow bored of the army way too fast. It is a mostly one shot wonder and if someone can counter those knights, you are in trouble.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm 

Your opinion. In my opinion, Skaven are pretty lacking in variety. I look through the book and see a lot of things not worth taking, and in the end it really just boils down to spamming what works.

From what i gather, your thoughts on brets is take lots of knights and nothing else. In fact i seem to recall you saying that peasants are worthless. Sure they are slightly over priced, for for the price of admission you are getting some pretty cheap, durable troops that can hold up units for your knights.

Brets have a ton of different units, and the only one i see being a bit meh is questing knights. We have Knights of the realm to burst through basic troops, destroy a flank, and even tank things if we need too as seen by my combat res load out on my characters. Grail Knights to destroy elite units and monsters as well as do assassination runs, take on monstrous cav etc. WS5 2 S6 attacks each with all of them being in base contact? That in a lance formation is brutal. The grail relique is amazing. 5+ armour 6+/5+ ward save, stubborn 8 and hatred as well as being immune to stomps and thunder stomps (the relique is NOT infantry) make it a great tank unit. Peg knights destroy warmachines, good for support charges and again, brilliant for assassination. Trebs are the best stone throwers going thanks to S5. Our bowmen are great since we get super cheap access to flaming arrows, and we can even make them skirmishers if we wanted. Our heroes and lords can be used in a variety of roles due to a fairly competitive armoury, a nice set of virtues and of course, the items from 8th. Our magic is strong, and easy to protect, unlike most armies. With magical support, Men-at-arms become very hard to move thanks to lore of life and even the prayer icon for that 6/5+ ward save.

For the most part, i feel brets are not a 1 trick pony (get the pun? :P) since just about everything can be used competitively. But as always, we find ourselves disagreeing.

Whilst im at it, Lizardmen are not as cut and dry as you make out, but thats a different matter entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Someones been skiving. Wheres the pics? We need updates. Where is Custard the knight?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:56 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Azeebo wrote:
Your opinion. In my opinion, Skaven are pretty lacking in variety. I look through the book and see a lot of things not worth taking, and in the end it really just boils down to spamming what works.

Well I think Todda somewhat has a point in that brettonia pretty much has knights, newbie knights, knights with great weapons, and elite knights. 3 flavors of infantry, one not worth taking, some decent archers and overpriced M@A. Some mounted peasents flying knights and a strong catapult. Their choices are on par with wood elves in that they have a 2/2/4/4/2 system when it comes to their choices. Some of the later armies have more then that. Especially considering some of them are not always worth it.

Also for the fun of it, try taking on a khorne heavy daemon player. I haven't found a way to reliably deal with bloodletters in the brettonia book, especially hordes of them. But maybe you will have more succes.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:21 am 

Arnathos wrote:
Well I think Todda somewhat has a point in that brettonia pretty much has knights, newbie knights, knights with great weapons, and elite knights. 3 flavors of infantry, one not worth taking, some decent archers and overpriced M@A. Some mounted peasents flying knights and a strong catapult.

As opposed to skaven who mostly consist of rats, rats with shields, rats in armour, rats on drugs, rats with guns and some decent warmachines. Yeah they got some special stuff as well, but saying brets have knights, knights knights and infantry is a bit...meh. You could say that about any army. High elves are just elves with spears, elves with bows, elves with big swords, elves with big axes, elves with halberds and lets not forget elves on horseback and a warmachine. I wont continue though...

Luckily for me, we have a very strong khorne daemon army...when i say very strong i mean a chap who goes to tournaments with them. I have ideas for taking down his blood letters...his horde of blood crushers? Not so sure...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next