It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: High Elves or Skaven?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

So longer down the line once my 40k army is done I was planing on getting a fantasy army started. Even though I grow up with it I know little about the fantasy world so I have come to ask a bit about the two army´s that as of now interests me. Of course this my change later on but I think they could be a lot of fun.

Why the two?

They have rather nice models. I love that some old school warhammer fantasy still lives in the High Elves and the Skavens are really nice in their Heamunculisch look, and who dos´t love the Skavens? "Run run! Flee flee!" :D

They both have some large and cool models, dragons, hellpit abominations, eagles and bells. Now I´v have heard, (from not all that reliable sources), that this big models are just a pain and that they die way to easy. With no personal ("real") experience with resent fantasy I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

Game play wise I think it would be fun with either a elite spell caster army with dragons and fun stuff or a crazy Skaven army.

But thanks to my limited understanding of fantasy gaming wise that´s were my knowledge ends. And let´s just say my fantasy lore is not up to par with my 40k knowledge.

Thank you on before hand.

Dark Eldar: W:15 L:5 D:1 5th.

Dark Eldar: W:1 L:1 D:0 6th.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

I would go Skaven personally. High Elves just lack...anything interesting. Fluff is stale, model range is nice but the armies they can produce are limited.

As for big units, that depends on who you are up against. Dragons are pretty useless for all armies (wood elves are the exception to this rule), however the Hell Pit is pretty darn nasty to go up against. Only cannons and luck will take this beast down...well that and flaming attacks. Doom Wheels are another great option and the Bell and Furnace are staples of the skaven army bringing untold death and destruction.

If you like big things, go skaven. If you like infantry, go skaven. If you like fluff, go skaven. If you like random crap, go skaven.

This list goes on for a while, so i will stop here ^_^ Remember, this is just my opinion. Im sure a lot of people like high elves :shock:

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 pm 

Okay, thank for your input. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 pm 

Skaven. When playing Skaven you have to get used to the idea that all of your Clanrats are expendable. They're there so that your Grey Seers are safe from the lightning of your Doomwheels.

Speaking of Doomwheels, those things are so nasty. I had one run through every War Machine my Dwarf opponent had.

Grey Seers are incredibly powerful as well. The Dreaded 13th Spell kills 4d6 enemy models with no saves of any kind allowed and if you manage to wipe out the entire unit they turn into Clanrats. So yeah...

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm 

Zero wrote:
Skaven. When playing Skaven you have to get used to the idea that all of your Clanrats are expendable. They're there so that your Grey Seers are safe from the lightning of your Doomwheels.

Speaking of Doomwheels, those things are so nasty. I had one run through every War Machine my Dwarf opponent had.

Grey Seers are incredibly powerful as well. The Dreaded 13th Spell kills 4d6 enemy models with no saves of any kind allowed and if you manage to wipe out the entire unit they turn into Clanrats. So yeah...

this. I'm a High Elf player myself but skaven I find are a lot more enjoyable (as Zero said the Dreaded 13th spell is very amusing to cast :wink: ) And looking at the other posts it seems Skaven is in favour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm 

Skaven rule. They are fun, have a lot of good options, and can be very hard to beat. Every time I take a Screaming Bell it gets nuked by the second turn. The Plague Furnace tends to live longer... mostly because it is a lot cheaper and most people tend to shoot at the expensive stuff.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Well they are both in island of blood so grab a friend and see which one you like more, you could do both if you so desired
...... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 am 

Just note the armies are not even close to being balanced in the Island of Blood set and the High Elf army is not even a legal army... and without the Skaven army book for the rules on Strength in Numbers the Skaven will loose every time. Also the Army Rosters are not included in the box set and must be downloaded from their web site.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 am 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
skaven. what's not to like about an army that has the ability to do what no other army can? shoot into it's own close combat assaults.

and there's an even bigger plus to the Skaven, when you get tired of playing them in fantasy, equip them with stolen shootas, bolt pistols, plasma guns, RE-looted tanks and have fun "kill kill"-ing your opponent in 40K. remember, their Skaven, even if it's nailed down, they'll just steal it and the nails and make something even more deadly out of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:26 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

sebastionsynn wrote:
skaven. what's not to like about an army that has the ability to do what no other army can? shoot into it's own close combat assaults.

I thought they could only do that for combats where Skaven Slaves are involved.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 am 

Well I think Skaven are coming up on top. Sounds like a lot of fun to field them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 am 

I am very unimpressed by Skaven, they have a few cool units but nothing modelwise or ruleswise that screams at me to play them, whereas I love High Elves(seems like noone agrees with me but oh well lol)
I like the design of the models, I love the fluff, and I like the way they play (LOVE Swordmasters, Phoenix Guard, and Dragon Princes)

P.S. Maybe I am biased just because they are elves, and I love elves in everything lmao.

Necrons

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:23 am 

gobbo7603 wrote:
sebastionsynn wrote:

I thought they could only do that for combats where Skaven Slaves are involved.

Or if the player has Poisoned Wind Globadiers.

sebastionsynn wrote:
and there's an even bigger plus to the Skaven, when you get tired of playing them in fantasy, equip them with stolen shootas, bolt pistols, plasma guns, RE-looted tanks and have fun "kill kill"-ing your opponent in 40K. remember, their Skaven, even if it's nailed down, they'll just steal it and the nails and make something even more deadly out of them.

I don't think so. There's no way they look 'Orky' in any way, and that's the only army you could ever possibly pass them off as. Plus, no one's going to buy Skaven so they can equip them with guns and play with them in 40k. I'd rather just buy the Orks.

It's just not something I think anyone should do. Especially when you take into account the height of the models.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 am 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
I don't think so. There's no way they look 'Orky' in any way, and that's the only army you could ever possibly pass them off as. Plus, no one's going to buy Skaven so they can equip them with guns and play with them in 40k. I'd rather just buy the Orks.

you don't 'pass' them off as another army, take the skaven codex and start converting thier stats over to 40K, then start reworking their special rules, then have fun playtesting. the idea is not to make a legitimate army out of them but to build an army that is purely for fun.

as for no one buying skaven just to convert them, that's not true, I have a 500 pt skaven army that is in the process of being converted, and i'm not the only out there that is doing this either. There are several others who are doing the same thing, and a few who have already done it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 am 

Converted them with guns and other 40k equipment? If you want two armies for the price of one, why not just buy Chaos Daemons and slap them on square bases? There are no rules against square bases in 40k.