Any tips for starting a High Elves army.

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Any tips for starting a High Elves army.

Post by Kazamato1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey guys, just wondering you guys have any tips for getting into fantasy? I want to play high elves as soon as I finish my Eldar army. I'm planning to get The Island of Blood and a High Elf Battalion. What do you guys think?
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Any tips for starting a High Elves army.

Post by Todda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Don't start with that... the box sets are not the best. You need core first. I would get either 2-3 units of 20 Archers or one big block of 50 Spearmen. Spend the minimum number of points you can there. Special is your bread and butter. Go nuts here. Dragon Princes and Sword Masters are the best for me, but White Lions and Phoenix Guard are OK too. Then take some mages. If you can Teclis is mighty, but otherwise take a level 4 mage and in higher point games a few extra level 1-2 mages. That is pretty much everything you need.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 pm

The Island of Blood minis are very good quality, as for the quality of the army in it, im not sure, as im not a big elves player, i have the IoBs, bet dont plan to di an high elves army any time soon

The high elves army in the IoB isnt legal (the prince on griffon is too many points) but you do get a wizard/mage, and a nice variety of troop choices from which to base a new army on. It isnt the best starting point, but it is a nice boost, and you would get hq, so if you get it as well as a battalion you should have an ok army

kaliastro
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by kaliastro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

While Isle of blood gives you the best bang for the buck, especially if you split it with someone, it doesnt have the greatest selection. I think you are better off buying unit by unit. Costs more but a better army. My army has dragons up the ying yang but thats because dragons are cool, not because of game value. Spearmen are gonna be your bread and butter. Swordmasters are good... Boltthrowers are good... Mages are good... Teclis is GOD!
Its a fun little elite army with asf and rerolls to hit alot of the time. When things go good for Elves they go really good... When things go bad they can go really bad.
Rules for playing massive tabletop battles with Star wars miniatures!
http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

Red-Geist
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Red-Geist » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Best general advice is to take the absolute minimum for Core (unless you be running Sea Guard, then these should be a good portion of your army) and maximize your Special choices. High Elves are known for their Specials, and the Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters of Hoeth, and White Lions of Chrace, are all 15 pts a guy, making them really interchangeable.

I recommend the Island of Blood and the Army Book, and maybe a box of Spearmen. Spearmen can be converted into Sea Guard with the bitz in their box. And its best to take a good long look at the army book, read over each unit and make sure what is not for you, just for making a beginner army. A few mini games of around 1000 points will hopefully give you a feel for the army and for what you have, and lead you from there in terms of what units you want to purchase.
For the Emperor!