Fantasy Q & A

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Fantasy Q & A

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello people! I'm new to Fantasy and I'm not sure about a rather important topic. What is the ideal width and number of ranks for infantry units and cavalry units? I'm starting an O&G army and I will have units of around 20 (my Black Orks), 30 (Boyz or or Savage Boyz Big'uns), 50 models (Night Goblins) for infantry and 5 to 10 for cavalry. Thanks in advance!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:02 am

Hi

1) For Black orks go 5x4 (They are better in horde formation 10 wide but you need at least 30+ models to do that).
2) For savages go with horde 10 wide, anything else is a waste.
3) Normal Orks or big uns are good in both formations (5 wide and 10 wide) depends what you want them to do. If they are you're attack troops go with 10 wide. If they have some other function 5 is better (it is eseir to mouve smaller formation).
4) As for Night goblins I use 3 tactics:
a) Big block of at least 50 (better 70 or 100) 10 wide with netters and FCG (fanatics optional) with spears and shields. They are good tarpit and with spears rolling 40 attack a turn they can even kill some things.
b) Multiple small (20) 5 wide units of NG with bows working as redirectors roadblocks or fanatic carriers. Equip only fanatics, optionally musicians.
c) Big "train" of 50+ NG, 5 wide, with shield and hand weapon this is youre ultimate tarpit.
5) O&G cavalery is good only for its speed (wolf riders) or abilyty to get anywhere (spider riders). They have very little attack power, but are good for attacking lone warmachines to tide them for turn or two. So go with 5 wide 1 rank. Do not bother with boar boyz they are horrible in my opinion, slow (for cavalery) with no decent armor or hitting power.

I hope this helps :).

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Yea, thank you a lot. I will study it. I have another small question. Where should the command be positionned in the first line? I first placed them at the far left (if you are positioned behind your troops) because they are removed first when you suffer casualties, but I thought about it and it may mean that the champion could be out of close combat if he's on the far left depending of how you are positioned when charging. What do you think?

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Command groups always go in the middle unless you want to put characters in there instead. Usually the champion goes in the centre with standard and musician besides them, then you just remove the flanks before command models.
I can't think of a witty signature.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Thank you for the answer! I will try to displace them so that they fit there. It's a lot harder to make them fit together compared to 40k where you don't really care about that.

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Yea, thank you a lot. I will study it. I have another small question. Where should the command be positionned in the first line? I first placed them at the far left (if you are positioned behind your troops) because they are removed first when you suffer casualties, but I thought about it and it may mean that the champion could be out of close combat if he's on the far left depending of how you are positioned when charging. What do you think?
In regard to "champion out of combat" it is best to put command group in ceter. But it has no meaning in regard to removing models because rules state that you have to remove all rank and file models before command group, and then you remove them in order: musician, standard berer, champion (there is one exeption - namely when champion is killed in challange).

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Yes they are hard to fit. Especially Black Orcs with their armor and lots of weapons. In my expirience it is best to assemble them with their final place in formation in mind. I used tactic of giving one big choppa, next two choppas, next big choppa and so on.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:27 pm

I recently put some Black Orcs together for a commission client. I magnetized their bases to a Movement Tray, and numbered each one - there was basically ONE pattern in which they'd properly rank up, so I made sure it was easy to figure that out ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Sklodo wrote:In regard to "champion out of combat" it is best to put command group in ceter. But it has no meaning in regard to removing models because rules state that you have to remove all rank and file models before command group, and then you remove them in order: musician, standard berer, champion (there is one exeption - namely when champion is killed in challange).
Yes, I know that the positionning has no meaning, but for convenience and maybe to not forget, I first planned to place them on the far left, but I will placed them in the center now.
Sklodo wrote:Yes they are hard to fit. Especially Black Orcs with their armor and lots of weapons. In my expirience it is best to assemble them with their final place in formation in mind. I used tactic of giving one big choppa, next two choppas, next big choppa and so on.
Yes, at first, I just gave them glorious postures, but that also mean that they didn't fit together and wouldn't fit in the movement trays. I'm still giving them nice postures, but I'm planning it so they fit together. I was thinking about glueing the Black Orcs with a mix of weapons to illustrate the "Armed to da Teef" rule so, I will do something alongside what you proposed.
Sklodo wrote:I recently put some Black Orcs together for a commission client. I magnetized their bases to a Movement Tray, and numbered each one - there was basically ONE pattern in which they'd properly rank up, so I made sure it was easy to figure that out ;)
Magnetizing things is beyond my modest modeling skills, I'm afraid, but I will definitively write their position on the back of the base so I always place them at the right position.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Magnetizing things is beyond my modest modeling skills, I'm afraid, but I will definitively write their position on the back of the base so I always place them at the right position.
Magnetizing to a Movement tray is *much* easier than magnetizing weapon-swaps and such - the magnets don't even have to touch. Next time I work on a Fantasy unit, I'll film the process (mind you, that could be a while)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:Magnetizing things is beyond my modest modeling skills, I'm afraid, but I will definitively write their position on the back of the base so I always place them at the right position.
Magnetizing to a Movement tray is *much* easier than magnetizing weapon-swaps and such - the magnets don't even have to touch. Next time I work on a Fantasy unit, I'll film the process (mind you, that could be a while)
Oh thank you, that would be very helpful. :) I will be patient. That would be handy because, right now, I have to use a 5 cents piece of currency which I placed under the base with blue sticky paste (I don't know how it is called in english) so that my banna beara don't fall foward like'a drunken runt. :P

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:I recently put some Black Orcs together for a commission client. I magnetized their bases to a Movement Tray, and numbered each one - there was basically ONE pattern in which they'd properly rank up, so I made sure it was easy to figure that out ;)
Ha :) Good one. I have done exactly same thing. Maby it is not so strange. It is logical thig to do :). I have 10 model (5x2) metal movement trays so i numberd them A1 to A10, thaen B1-B10 and so on. Every leter corresponds to one tray.
Last edited by Sklodo on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:20 pm

I have another question. On a single Lord, can I use at the same time one magic armor and one magic shield? By example, can I give him a an armor of destiny (heavy armor with 4+ ward) and an enchanted shield (+2 to armor save)? In the book (p. 174) it says : "Only the most influential characters will be clad in magical armour from top to toe. Most characters might have a single piece of magical armour, which they combine with ordinary pieces of equipment." Later they say : "A model can only have one suit of armour and one shield, so if you give a model a magical suit of armour or a magical shield, it replaces any mundane equivalent already worn by the model".

What makes me confused is the verb might. English isn't my mother tongue, but "might" doesn't seem to be a very autoritative verb. I understand it like if they were saying "Maybe they could have one magical armor piece", but it's not clear that it's impossible to have 2. What do you think about it?

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:49 am

This is a good question. And the answer is you can not. There are two sets of rules involved:
1) Rules concerning armor - you can have one type of armor and one type of shield.
2) Rules Concerning magical items - you can have one magical item from any items list (tere are: weapons, armor, arcane, enchanted, banners) per character, and only one copy of any given item (you can not have two dispel scrolls even on seperate heroes).

What this mean is: You can give youre character magical armor OR magical shield and non-magical shiel/armor but not both magical armor and magical shield since both are classified as magical item - armor.

In youre example you can give youre character armor of destiny and mundane shield ora charm shield and non magical armor.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you for the answer. Now, everything is clear. Anyway, I started to find that this guy was becoming a point sink anyway :) . I'm building a theoritical Vampire Counts list because I would like this army to be my second one eventually. ;)