Fantasy Q & A

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Gorganoth
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Fantasy Q & A

Post by Gorganoth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am

Arnathos wrote:Yes you do need the full 10 chaos knights or dragon princes in the flanks to disrupt steadfast, despite the insane cost of these units.
How about just disrupting rank bonus?
Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!
Commas save lives.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 am

Yep everything, Ranks, steadfast, throw the whole unit into disarray, 2 ranks of 5 models, unless monstrous or having special rules that say otherwise.

P.S. This also means the enemy loses any and all supporting attacks, so only models in base contact with your models may fight, not those behind them.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

Are Empire state troopers decent in combat and if so, with what weapons? I'm planning on doing Empire for my Army in a Year and love the state troops.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am

in my experience state troops are mediocre in combat on their own, as you can probably see from their statline, detachments make them pretty good though. It seems that these days halberds come highly recommended, S4 is quite decent. Detachments tend to be free companies, swordsmen or more halbadiers, some people also like a unit of handgunners for support fire.

I'm thinking that for melee detachments 15 or so would be good, to give you a high chance of disrupting ranks and such.

Although if you feel like taking a gamble with the mindrazor from the lore of shadow, spearmen can also be effective.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 am

I have no clue what detachments are. :oops: Thanks though, helps a lot.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

Every unit of state troops can have up to two units of detachments, which can be chosen from either other state troops(not greatswords) or militia. detachments have a minimum of 5 models, do not count towards minimum core and cannot take a command crew.

If they are close enough to the parent unit, they can in your turn support charge(into the enemy flanks usually) or support fire if they have ranged weapons, shoot at the target of the parent unit even though it just charged.

when your parent unit is charged by the enemy, your melee dudes can counter charge, again usually to the flanks, and your ranged dudes can make a stand and shoot reaction without negative modifiers that usually come with stand& shoot.

There is more detailed info in the army book.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm

That is cool, thanks :D

firemanmm
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by firemanmm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

I personally play Empire as my main army. It has served me very well so far. The best advice I have for you=

1. Big blocks of state troops are decent in combat, but they definitely require support to get their points worth. Detachments, in my opinion, aren't really worth it unless the main unit is a shooting unit that doesn't move that much. The reason being if they are targeted by a big unit they usually fall apart, but they have trouble with the new disruption rules.

2. War Machines have become 100 times deadlier with the new shooting rules. Cannons are cheap character snipers, mortars are super killy now that we don't have to guess range, or roll for partial hits. they're not that strong, but they can inflict massive casualties in low toughness units.

3. Warrior priests are good supporting models, but keep them out of combat with models that have killing blow, or are really good at killing. They have access to good magic stuff, but with only 2 wounds they can get killed really quickly.

4. Wizards are crazy cheap, and can be taken will loads of magic items to help them. Balthazar gelt is a great lord to take when you have the points.

5. Until you get familiar with how they play, steer clear of Knightly Orders. They are kind of expensive, and have a lack of staying power when compare to other armies knights. Pistoliers are still pretty good at picking off war machine crews, scouting units, or skirmishers. Just keep them out of combat unless you're 100% sure you can win.

Hope that helped
Dis iz my Choppa. Der iz many like it but dis one iz mine. Wifout it I am nofing, wifout me it is nofing.

Orks of the Steel Toez klan- 3000 pts
Empire-4000+ pts
Menoth- Kreoss, Reznik, and Feora +40 pts
Cygnar- battle box
Circle Orboros kaya + 20

gobbo7603
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by gobbo7603 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 am

Will disagree with firemanmm on a couple of things :)

Detachments are really useful and not just if the main unit is a shooting unit. If your combat detachment is big enough then it can disrupt enemy ranks so giving you a +4 swing in CR which is big especially if you have more ranks than your opponent.

Kind of disagree on knights as well, a 1+ AS is not to be sniffed at. But like most knight units (with a few exceptions) you don't want them bogged down in combat. Outriders are also good.

Otherwise totally agree with you on the rest

prairiehawk
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by prairiehawk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 pm

How does creating "bunker" units for casters and characters work? Like I understand the idea of hiding my necromancer in a huge skeleton unit to protect it from shooting, but one the unit gets in CC, how can you protect the character if he gets B2B to an enemy? I feel like he is going to be forced to fight an d take wounds since he is in the front rank.

firemanmm
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by firemanmm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

A model can direct attacks in close combat at any model its in base contact with. So protecting a model usually has to be done in the Kroxidor format. Usually a model in the front line can be singled out.
Dis iz my Choppa. Der iz many like it but dis one iz mine. Wifout it I am nofing, wifout me it is nofing.

Orks of the Steel Toez klan- 3000 pts
Empire-4000+ pts
Menoth- Kreoss, Reznik, and Feora +40 pts
Cygnar- battle box
Circle Orboros kaya + 20

Silentbob711
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Silentbob711 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Question on characters joining units. A unit of varghiests are classified as monstrous infantry so a character can join them. But they also have the fly special rule. Does having the fly special rule classify them as fliers therefore forbidding a character from joining them? Also if my character has the fly special rule or an upgrade is purchased to give him the fly special rule can he then join a unit with the fly special rule?
Ultramarines 9260 Dark Eldar 1000
Blood Angels 2000 Csm 950
Grey Knights 2000 Tyranids 900
Necrons 1850 Tau 900
Dark Angels 1100 Guard 505

prairiehawk
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by prairiehawk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:36 pm

What takes precedence ASL or ASF. For example if a unit with ASL gains ASF what happens? Or if a unit with great weapons gets ASF?

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Cancels each other out, just like it says in the main rulebook, the only exception to this are high elves with great weapons, they always strike first, always :'( unless of course some spell or ability(ogre thundertusk(I think), noxious vapours daemonic gift, and some others)

Oh and some of those abilities actually remove ASF and replace it with ASL, but thats sort of army specific stuff.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

maxtone
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by maxtone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Just a question about the new Vampire Counts Hex Wraiths.... When they move through an enemy unit they cause damage, Is this also the case when you dance through with the dance spell? Ie... move through during the movement phase and do damage and then dance through during magic and do it again?
thanks!
Maxton Eckstein

5000 Points High Elves
5000 Points Bretonnians