It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: New Army Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

For the three armies I know:

Dark Elves
[*] Playing Fun 8
[*] Playing difficulty 8
[*] Painting difficulty 9
[*] Painting Fun 7
[*] Conversions 5
[*] Magic Ability 8
[*] Melee Ability 9
[*] Ranged Ability 8

Warriors of Chaos
[*] Playing Fun 7
[*] Playing difficulty 9
[*] Painting difficulty 8
[*] Painting Fun 8
[*] Conversions 9
[*] Magic Ability 8
[*] Melee Ability 9
[*] Ranged Ability 2

Vampires
[*] Playing Fun 8
[*] Playing difficulty 6
[*] Painting difficulty 8
[*] Painting Fun 6
[*] Conversions 7
[*] Magic Ability 7
[*] Melee Ability 7
[*] Ranged Ability 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:16 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Here's my opinion on da Orcs and Gobbo's peeps:
[*] Playing Fun..............................10/10 ( one word animosity)
[*] Playing difficulty........................7/10 ( one word again... animosity ^_^, that and gobbo and squig tricks)
[*] Painting difficulty.......................4/10 ( not very more tiny eyes, occasional headband etc; :P )
[*] Painting fun.............................6.5/10 ( fun but sooo many!)
[*] Conversions..............................9/10 (plastic kits are so interchangeable and easy to apply)
[*] Magic ability............................6.8/10 ( you can take so many and some spells are quite destructive)
[*] Melee ability.............................9/10 ( Chop 'em good lads!!!)
[*] Range ability............................6.5/10 ( not good shots but lotsa shots!)

Hope that helps with anyone thinking of OnG. They're spontaneous playing style makes them difficult ( mainly because you have to fight your own boys) but there's many preventative ways of dealing with this or simply rolling with the punches and using some amazing skill to bring them home. With the randomosity of gameplay and the fun of conversion, and painting each orcy scrunched up face. When you finish an Orc army and look at it on the table you are just so proud of your Boyz :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ogres
Playing for fun: 9.5/10
Playing difficulty: 0/10
Painting diff: 5.5/10
Magic: 8.5/10
Melée: 10/10 (they freaking rock)
Range: 6.5/10
I all I think Ogres to be best because less to paint lots of power even with lack of troops and they're fun to paint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:18 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!
Since i have heard there is no rule against necroimg a sticky here are my 2 cents.

Chaos Warriors
[*] Playing Fun...............................8/10
[*] Playing difficulty........................6.5/10
[*] Painting difficulty.......................6/10
[*] Painting fun..............................5/10
[*] Conversions..............................9/10
[*] Magic ability.............................8.5/10
[*] Melee ability.............................9/10
[*] Range ability.............................1/10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Right so here is a few of my experiences, most of them are from older versions but I think it mostly still applies.

Daemons of Chaos:
[*] Playing Fun...............................7/10(Pretty fun, but lacks some of the wierd random stuff of other armies like skaven and orcs.)
[*] Playing difficulty........................ Variable(totally depends on what sort of daemons you bring and against who you are fighting, I have found that fights tend to be decided at deployment already.)
[*] Painting difficulty.......................5/10(models don't use a lot of different colours and generally have a theme, a few details here and there.)
[*] Painting fun..............................8/10(not a lot of models, and painting your greater daemons can be a lot of fun.)
[*] Conversions..............................9/10(One of the armies that lends itself well for conversion, especially for heralds as not all of them have models, and being the representation of peoples nightmares, their fluff lets them switch forms a bit to be more scary.)
[*] Magic ability.............................7/10(Magic is very mixed, no other army can have as many mages as daemons due to horrors being mages, but getting a mage over level 4 is not an option before 2500 points or more. On the flipside you have some of the most versatile mages in the game.)
[*] Melee ability.............................7/10(Lots of damage, no survivability whatsoever. Except greater daemons.)
[*] Range ability.............................6/10(Flamers murder things.)

Warriors of Chaos(khorne heavy):

[*] Playing Fun...............................5/10(Yawn)
[*] Playing difficulty........................5/10(Get into combat at turn 2 or lose)
[*] Painting difficulty.......................5/10(Not too many dudes, lots of armour)
[*] Painting fun..............................7/10(You wont get bored too fast lots of diffrent dudes and an amazing repertoire of monsters to choose from.)
[*] Conversions..............................10/10(Hands down one of the most conversion friendly armies out there, with every opportunity to add a personal touch.)
[*] Magic ability.............................2/10(pfft magic, I have never done much magic with chaos, on the flipside, your mages are murder in combat, my chaos sorcerers have single handedly whiped out many a fast cavalry unit and war machine crew.)
[*] Melee ability.............................9/10(Few armies rival chaos in melee, even fewer rival Khorne in melee)
[*] Range ability.............................1/10(You can run some axe throwers or a hellcannon if you're feeling silly, but I don't think they will win you the game.)

(Disclaimer, I do not run chaos like you're supposed to, skipping marauders entirely and with very few mages, if any.)

Empire:
[*] Playing Fun...............................8/10(Versatile and makes you think about what you are going to do with your troops in battle, tactics are a big part of empire)
[*] Playing difficulty........................7.5/10(Guns are a clear strength, but mediocre at everything else, not really weak at anything though.)
[*] Painting difficulty.......................8/10(Lots of dudes with a lot of details)
[*] Painting fun..............................6/10(There is a lot of details, but you have to option to really personalize your army through painting.)
[*] Conversions..............................7/10(Mostly a champion thing for me, but also knightly orders etc. are convertable.)
[*] Magic ability.............................8/10(Mages are cheap, and you have acces to all the main lores, pick your poison.)
[*] Melee ability.............................6.5/10(average dudes, detachments save the day.)
[*] Range ability.............................9.5/10(Your artillery is the scourge of the old world)

Brettonia:
[*] Playing Fun...............................7.5/10(Very stylish style of play, not too big on versatility.)
[*] Playing difficulty........................8/10(The oldest list in warhammer at the moment(Chaos dwarves and regiments of the renown notwithstanding) and you notice, average statlines and few units that really shine.)
[*] Painting difficulty.......................7/10(A lot of details and a reasonable amount of models.)
[*] Painting fun..............................7/10(Every knight is like a new character, peasants are somewhat repetitive and virtually no monsters.)
[*] Conversions..............................6/10(Characters are good for conversions, units not so much, questing knights maybe.)
[*] Magic ability.............................7/10(Points docked for versatility, but life and beasts are all you need as brettonia. Buffs are a primary focus.)
[*] Melee ability.............................7/10(Average statline, lance formation makes up for a lot, but not enough.)
[*] Range ability.............................5/10(Peasant Bowmen can be quite effective, and the Field Trebuchet is to my knowledge the most potent stone thrower in the game. But shooting is meant to support your knights rather then win the battle for you.)

So yeah, these are some of my thoughts, from my own experiences. Hope someone finds it helpful.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:17 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
[*] Playing Fun...............................8.5/10
[*] Playing difficulty........................4/10
[*] Painting difficulty.......................5/10
[*] Painting fun..............................10/10
[*] Conversions..............................9.5/10
[*] Magic ability.............................6/10
[*] Melee ability.............................9.5/10
[*] Range ability.............................7/10

Okay so I've been painting Ogres for a long time now (I have one whole unit done and this is supposed to be my tabletop army -.-) and I don't think I've had more fun with painting an army. I did get a chance to play them at a demo and They were incredibly easy to figure out, basically you run up and sit on your opponent, beating him senseless. That way you have nice tender meat to chow down on after the fighting! Magic is pretty meh as compared to other armies, but not horrible I suppose. They are an incredibly fun army and once you start really painting them and getting them ready, you forget how big they are until you go to a game and see that holy crap they are like 4 times bigger than any other regular core choice. Their ranged abilities are pretty awesome with the new cannon, so yeah, I would say it's a very balanced fun army to play and paint :D

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Beastmen (Not Beast of Choas)

[*] Playing Fun 8/10 (if played the way they are suppose to be)
[*] Playing difficulty 8/10 (if played the way they are suppose to be)
[*] Painting difficulty 3*8/10
This is a hard question, for a new painter I say harder, for others I think it is really easy, you really have to know dry brushing and highlights to really see the very nice little details in the models
[*] Painting fun 9/10
[*] Conversions 10/10
[*] Magic ability 6/10 (Some really good and some really not worth it)
[*] Melee ability 10/10 (90% melee army)
[*] Range ability 3/10 (has range... no worth it , Unless you take 2-3 rares just for the range "Hurl Attack" taken more as a WM)

In all honestly back in 4th and 5th (maybe 6th?) when it was Hordes of Chaos, you had ALOT! ALOT! ALOT! more options for this army, You could have an army fully with the Marks of any gods, the models where made for each god as well.

I truly fell like this army was completely dull down, Yes there are some new FANTASTIC models in it now. The models are great! Highly detailed. (better than finecast I think).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

High Elves

[*] Playing Fun.................................7/10 (Who doesn't love castinge spells of doom every turn!)

[*] Playing difficulty..........................7/10 (Units each have a more or less fixed role, and if they stray from that role they may die)

[*] Painting difficulty.........................7.75/10 (Depends if you're using the traditional color scheme because white is a pain to paint.)

[*] Painting Fun................................7.25/10 (Plenty of Gold and Gems :D)

[*] Conversions................................6.5/10 (No comment)

[*] Magic Ability...............................9/10 (Probably the best mages in the game)

[*] Melee Ability...............................7.5/10 (High Initiative+WS kinda makes up for S3)

[*] Ranged Ability.............................8/10 (High BS for the win!)

Dwarves: 650 Pts.
W:3/L:0/T:0
Painted (+---------) (0%)
My WIP
Damnit GW, stop coming out with new models, my wallet hurts!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Wood Elves

[*] Playing Fun...............................9/10
[*] Playing difficulty........................9.5/10
[*] Painting difficulty.......................6/10
[*] Painting fun..............................7/10
[*] Conversions..............................6/10
[*] Magic ability.............................6/10
[*] Melee ability.............................6/10
[*] Range ability.............................10/10

Warriors of Chaos

[*] Playing difficulty........................9/10
[*] Conversions..............................7/10
[*] Magic ability.............................8/10
[*] Range ability.............................2/10

Vampire counts

[*] Playing difficulty........................6/10
[*] Painting fun..............................6/10
[*] Conversions..............................8/10
[*] Magic ability.............................7.5/10
[*] Melee ability.............................6.5/10
[*] Range ability.............................2/10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

The only army I play in fantasy is high elves but I might as well rate them.

High elves

[*] Playing difficulty........................8.5/10
[*] Painting difficulty.......................7/10 (depending on the colour scheme)
[*] Conversions..............................6/10
[*] Magic ability.............................9/10
[*] Melee ability.............................9/10 (possibly some of the hardest hitting infantry in the game)
[*] Range ability.............................6/10 (all the high elves have for range are bolt throwers which are too expensive and archers/ lothern sea guard which still aren't great)

About 2000 points of orks
About 1500 points of space marines (black templars)
Dreadfleet

I'm Alpharius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 am 
First post! Good job, now post more...

im new here and i think this would help me as im new here i dont know more about this and now i will try what u guys post here

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:57 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Ogres
[*] Painting difficulty.......................4/10
[*] Painting fun..............................10/10
[*] Conversions..............................7/10
[*] Magic ability.............................6.5/10
[*] Melee ability.............................8/10
[*] Range ability.............................4/10
Dwarfs
[*] Playing Fun...............................7/10
[*] Playing difficulty........................7/10
[*] Painting difficulty.......................6.5/10
[*] Painting fun..............................7.5/10
[*] Conversions..............................3/10
[*] Magic ability.............................1/10
[*] Melee ability.............................7.5/10
[*] Range ability.............................9.5/10
Warriors of Chaos
[*] Playing Fun...............................8/10
[*] Painting fun..............................7.5/10
[*] Conversions..............................10/10
[*] Magic ability.............................3.5/10
[*] Range ability.............................1.5/10

Orks 2/0/3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

This is helpful but i'm still torn...

Dwarf
Lizardman
Wood elves

all look cool, is there big story behind them or are they all very Tolkien with a little gw touch?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Lizardmen are not even close to Tolkien in the fluff. Lizardmen's fluff is the only one that I actually read through and can quote. It's epic. The Chaos Demons pissed off a Slann Mage-Priest and he invented Continental Drift!

Check out my Painting Services
http://tinyurl.com/b38xlnp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

High Elves
[*] Playing Fun.................................10/10
[*] Playing difficulty..........................7/10
[*] Painting difficulty.........................8.5/10
[*] Painting Fun................................8/10
[*] Conversions................................7.5/10
[*] Magic Ability...............................10/10
[*] Melee Ability...............................9/10
[*] Ranged Ability.............................8/10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7