It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Painting beastmen flesh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Hey guys

I HATE the skin colour scheme GW is showing for beastmen and was wondering if anyone had any pics of an alternative flesh scheme.

Thanks

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am 

Here's how I've done mine

How I get that is starting out with a 3:1:1 mix of Dark Flesh / Charadon Granite / Tanned Flesh (recently discontinued but I have like 5 pots of it). SO base coat in that and then slowly add more and more Tanned Flesh to the mix doing successive highlights each new mix while leaving a little of the previous layer showing in the recesses. I'm pretty sure you could replace the Tanned Flesh with either Dwarf Flesh or Tallarn Flesh and get a similar result though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:39 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Along those lines check out the minotaurs and such from
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/

some people like them better then the GW ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm 

Well do you want a reddish or more of a browning look? Pick a color, go a few shades lighter and pick a wash to bring it back to what you want. I actually had to mix my own Vermin Fur as the on e they had just did not work. Basically it was too dark and too red, so I added about 1/6th Space Wolf Grey. This lightened it and added a touch more blue to it. Now it is a medium color brown with almost a grayish purple ting to it. Add Devlin Mud wash and it is a perfect fur color. I used to use Bubonic Brown and Brown wash. It is a brighter more comic style fur color.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:30 pm 

Ugh...i am such a nooby painter you have no idea. The very idea of high lighting totally goes over my head. I have been in the hobby for 10 years and my painting skills have only marginally improved because i just cant do it. That or i have 0 confidence in my own abilities. Highlighting and paint mixing = EVIL!!! :P

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 pm 

That is why I work with a lighter base and a simple wash. Highlights are a pain some times.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm 

I never mix paints and i have never even attempted a highlight out of fear lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:32 pm 

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
im doing mine close to the same scheme they had last edition as i too hate the new bright happy beastmen colours

Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Azeebo wrote:
I never mix paints and i have never even attempted a highlight out of fear lol

you'll be surprised in your abilities if you try something i tried painting a shoulder-board on my Flames of war Germans for the first time not too long ago and it was a success :D i was scared to death of doing it for a month or so but finally attempted it just try it :D

Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 pm 

You have not done a wash? That is about the easiest thing to do to make models looks good. It actually hides mistakes. I wish they had more washes like Devlin Mud as Devlin Mud is a good base wash, but dulls things a bit much. There are other products out there too that work as a good base wash.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm 

I use washes and thats about it. Dry brushing almost seems pointless with washes since you get the same effect on metals (i used to dry brush mail).

Also, did you know that 'Chainmail' is the incorrect term for armour? Its not chainmail armour, its Mail. Chain mail implies something completely different. Just thought i would digress a bit :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:31 pm 

Not a bad wording actually. It is a type of Mail (or even maille or mayle) and was typically called just that. There were other forms of mail, like lamellar and splinted mail, so during the Dark Ages they usually referred to it as ring mail. Around the 1700s they started calling it chain mail or chainmail and the term stuck. All is good really.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:35 am 

Saw a program a long tome ago and this guy was saying that people often call this chain mail, however chain mail is very simple and could not make effective armour. He showed some chain mail and it basically looked like a chain. He then showed mail and it is remarkably complex in comparison. I never called it chain mail to begin with since i always found mail to sound better in general. ^_^