8th ed bloodier?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

8th ed bloodier?

Post by sonofkitrinos » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 am

So, extrapolating what can be found on todays What's New Today on GWs site, I get the feeling that WHFB is going to be massive sized armies as a norm now. With hints coming from larger armies, units of 30+...I have a feeling we are looking at either massively re-adjusted points, or changes that are going to create "fantasy apoc." as a normal game.

Great for us, this means more fun battles, bad for our wallets lol
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

Azeebo
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: 8th ed bloodier?

Post by Azeebo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 am

I like the idea, bigger games at lower points is cool. The DRAW of fantasy is a large army lined up and ready for war...as opposed to 40K where it is a small army split off into small squads.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

More Dakka
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by More Dakka » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Me too, I always found Fantasy pretty stream line compared to 40K especially with blocks of troops.

Hopefully the new edition isn't ALL magic phase ftw.
-SIGNATURR!!!

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Mattman154 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:02 pm

More models required to fill the points = More models you need to buy to play a game.

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Why do you need more models to fill the points? This is a statement I feel too many just spout without thinking. Okay so larger infantry blocks are getting better. So instead of taking two units of 20 now you'll want to take one unit of 40 (no idea if this is true, just an example). Not sure if you noticed or not but that's the same amount of models either way.

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 pm

But now you only have one unit.

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Mattman154 wrote:But now you only have one unit.
Yeah but in a 2000 point game where before you had two 150 point units now you'll have one 300 point unit. Still the same amount of points, still no extra room in the list to fit more units.

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Quick! Fall back!

*Retreats*

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Zeruel13 wrote:
Mattman154 wrote:But now you only have one unit.
Yeah but in a 2000 point game where before you had two 150 point units now you'll have one 300 point unit. Still the same amount of points, still no extra room in the list to fit more units.
You also have to consider filling the Force Org. out. Rumors are that it is now done by percentage of total points rather than a rigid set of requirements, but if that rumor doesn't work out your 1 300 point unit now only fills one slot rather than 2.

That means that you'll need another 300 point unit to fill out the second required Core choice.

I think that is what people are thinking of. You're obviously right that people are going to be able to combine their smaller units into larger ones, but there still will be a need for more models, I think.
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:25 pm

The slots are going away completely. Percentages is all there is. If you can make a single core unit expensive enough to be at least 25% of the game's point total then that's all you need.

Besides most people own at least 500 points of core units.

sonofkitrinos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:00 pm

ithink its a way of getting players those big epic fantasy battles we all know we crave as well as, obviously, making a buck for themselves.

i do not see anything wrong with alrger armies with more models. i mean, i dont get overly inspired when i see a standard fantasy game when it plays because the army size is so small to what one imagines a fantastical world that is at constant war with armies always on the move, should look like.

i hope the new edition makes the current edition look like a skirmish game...aha...that would be too awesome

OH and i hope they have an easy chart to read or way to figure the percents out

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:03 pm

sonofkitrinos wrote:OH and i hope they have an easy chart to read or way to figure the percents out
Why do you need a chart to figure out percentages. It's not hard at all.

sonofkitrinos

Post by sonofkitrinos » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Zeruel13 wrote:
sonofkitrinos wrote:OH and i hope they have an easy chart to read or way to figure the percents out
Why do you need a chart to figure out percentages. It's not hard at all.
its prolly more intimidating than it sounds..aha

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Everything is either 25% or 50%. If you can't figure that out you need to go back to third grade math.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:23 pm

I really hope this doesn't make my copy of Army build obsolete
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)