the battle for skull pass is over you can all go home

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Paladin-Zebra
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

the battle for skull pass is over you can all go home

Post by Paladin-Zebra » Sun May 30, 2010 3:22 pm

does anyone have any idea or thoughts on what the next fantasy starter box will be
"If this was Facebook, I would have liked all of Paladins posts so far." -Dez
"pally is fairly awes-mazing" -BewareOfTom
"paladin zebra is an awesome paladin class zebra warrior" -Sniperfex

FritzePride
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: the battle for skull pass is over you can all go home

Post by FritzePride » Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm

why would GW want to change up the starter set. if anything itl cost more money, and shouldnt a starter set be as cheap as possible? Sure some people might buy it because its cheap, but who fields 4 units of night goblins? honestly i think they should continue the production of battle for skull pass and lower the cost slightly. after all so many people are just playing mmo's these days that new customers that cost a little bit more for GW shouldnt be a problem.
Khorne & Khaine <3

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Sun May 30, 2010 10:17 pm

I have heard rumors for just about everything from Dark Elves, High Elves, Skaven, Orks, Empire, Ogres... The only thing known is that it is not coming out until late this year. The one that sounded the best was Skaven and High Elves as they specified new models coming out with it... a plastic Weapons Team and a plastic Griffin. Tomb Kings and Ogre is another good one as both need a sales boost and both are rumored to be getting new army books and models this year.

Now the sad thing is the new rulebook is over 500 pages, but the book in the new box set will likely be closer to the current size (150 pages likely), so all those nice scenarios will not be in there.

The other bad thing is this set of rules will force a ton of errata online and new players will not know about this and will be flooding the message boards with questions. They should include a CD with all the errata on it just to simplify things.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Skaven and High Elves seems to be the rumour circulating the most right now. I've got nothing against either army but it does seem an odd pairing to me. Battle For Skull Pass was themed well but Skaven and High Elves really have little to no contact with one another.

BoyMac
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by BoyMac » Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm

I talked to a guy named Drew who works in GW Management and he said it is Skaven and High Elves.
Necrons: 6000+ points.
Blood Angels: 5000+ points.
Vampire Counts: 4000+ points.
Eldar: 3000+ points.
Skaven: 3000+ points.
Wood Elves 3500+ points.
Orks: 3000+ Points.
Imperial Guard: 500 Points.

Solid_Smurf
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Solid_Smurf » Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Zeruel13 wrote:Skaven and High Elves seems to be the rumour circulating the most right now. I've got nothing against either army but it does seem an odd pairing to me. Battle For Skull Pass was themed well but Skaven and High Elves really have little to no contact with one another.
Maybe in current fluff.....
just throwing that out there.
I might not be the best, but I've made who ever is quite nervous.
*recovering from games workshop*

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Maybe but even the Skaven book which is pretty new doesn't mention anything about it. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Either way it makes little difference to me. I won't be buying it one way or the other even if it were to include an army I play. I don't like snap together models and I'll already own the rules.

clubace
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by clubace » Sun May 30, 2010 11:48 pm

Todda wrote:Tomb Kings and Ogre is another good one as both need a sales boost and both are rumored to be getting new army books and models this year.
that would be good seeing how both of those armies models in my opinion are pretty terrible looking. I have considered both tomb kings and vampire counts but GWs skeleton models are just hideous

and seeing ogre models, something just isnt right about them that I cant put my finger on
http://www.youtube.com/user/clubace090
for my armies, terrain, battle reports and more of the like

"We knight you as the starter of the letter trend." <- official knight of MWG

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Mattman154 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:12 am

BoyMac wrote:I talked to a guy named Drew who works in GW Management and he said it is Skaven and High Elves.
Which he heard from the FBI.

Todda

Post by Todda » Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 am

I would get that box in an instant... as I have Skaven and High Elves and can always do with more. Plastic Weapons Teams is the important thing. Maybe they are going to make the weapon interchangeable some how. I do not think they could do it with the Doom Flayer, but I guess all the rest are possible. They need plastic Plague Censer Bearers, Poisoned Wind Globadiers, and Jezzails and add all the other missing models (especially the 3 missing Weapons Teams, the Plague Claw Catapult, and the HeIl Pit Abomination) and I will be happy.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

reefs.of.space
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by reefs.of.space » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:05 am

I've been wanting to start a Skaven army (I play 40K) so if the new starter has skaven and high elves I'll pick it up for sure.

Murdock129
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Murdock129 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 am

Skaven and High Elves are more likely though I'd prefer Ogres and Tomb Kings

azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by azzerath » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:34 am

I would like it to be Dark Elves and High Elves. But as long as it has one of those 2 in it and a decent selection of models I'll find someone to split a box or two with.

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:39 am

azzerath wrote:I would like it to be Dark Elves and High Elves. But as long as it has one of those 2 in it and a decent selection of models I'll find someone to split a box or two with.
I'd love that as well but two elven factions in one box seems unlikely. I personally think Empire vs Beastmen would have been cool.

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am

I heard someone mention Empire and O&G, but I think the prevailing rumor is that it will be High Elves and Skaven, which I am a bit annoyed at.

Usually both sides get one big thing, two leaders and an assortment of core troops. I don't really know what the High Elves will be able to get, though. A Mage + Prince and then Archers and Spearmen with a Bolt Thrower? Kind of boring, if you ask me.

Skaven will probably get a Rat Ogre, a mass of Clan-rats and Grey Seer along with a Combat Leader like a Plague Priest or something.
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts