Sigmar and Bases --

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Sigmar and Bases --

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

I have a skaven force all on square bases that I play once every year or so. Some of the gaming crew is trying to convince me to re-base all of my rats because they have been modeled for advantage...

What do you think? Should I rebase the whole lot or just leave it as is.

Nexus ~~
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Sigmar and Bases --

Post by Arnathos » Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Personally I have decided not to rebase my fantasy army and actually to not play it in age of sigmar at all, because I feel the lower fantasy empire army really clashes with the high fantasy style of the newer models. Skaven don't have that problem I guess.

Another thing is that, you can play sigmar with square bases but you can't play fantasy with 32mm round ones.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Everything that isn't absolutely perfect is "modeling for advantage". Or so I keep getting told.

Don't forget that, technically, bases don't count in Age of Sigmar. Literally. The rules ignore them entirely. So if you can fit a skaven on top of another skaven's base to get him closer, then you give 'er. People have only adopted the use of bases, because quite a few people actually do texture and model their bases, and don't want people ruining their hard work by putting models on top of their bases.

As such, if anyone ever tells you that your bases are "modeling for advantage", tell them that bases don't matter in Age of Sigmar and to shut up about them.

Oh, and GW has always said that any model may be used with the base it came with, regardless what may change with time. Otherwise, every Space Marine player should be rebasing all of their 25mm based Marines with 32mm bases, and let me tell you hwat, I'll do that when you buy me replacement bases for all my infantry and pay me the time it'll take to do it.

People who argue that everyone should remove their square bases 'cause Age of Sigmar is all on round bases don't deserve my time to play a game with (disclaimer: I don't have any square based models as I never played Fantasy, but I'm still going to call 'em stupid for arguing it).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 am

I did actually replace all of my word bearers bases with 32mm, it is a massive improvement visually (although at the time someone did mention modelling for advantage, which in 7th could have been argued). I left 1 metal techpriest which I am too afraid to rebase and 5 deathwatch marines meant for display only on 25mm. I also still have an inquisitor which needs re-basing. But it is way less drastic a project than rebasing an entire fantasy army.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:48 am

Arnathos wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Personally I have decided not to rebase my fantasy army and actually to not play it in age of sigmar at all, because I feel the lower fantasy empire army really clashes with the high fantasy style of the newer models. Skaven don't have that problem I guess.

Another thing is that, you can play sigmar with square bases but you can't play fantasy with 32mm round ones.
Have you played any 9th age?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am

TBH - there is some advantage to the square bases :) I personally find it easier to set up all my rats on a movement tray and move them as a block, in AoS, until i need to get fancy with that movement.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I have not played 9th age, I just can't bring myself to make an army with the bloody awful ETC hammer rules. ETC is what killed fantasy way before GW did, their own in crowd that imposes their weird rules on everyone else, warping the game into a twisted facade of what it was intended to be.

I'll gladly play a game of 8th or even 6th, but 9th age is anethema to me.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am

Arnathos wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 pm
I have not played 9th age, I just can't bring myself to make an army with the bloody awful ETC hammer rules. ETC is what killed fantasy way before GW did, their own in crowd that imposes their weird rules on everyone else, warping the game into a twisted facade of what it was intended to be.

I'll gladly play a game of 8th or even 6th, but 9th age is anethema to me.
Hah. Fair enough. TBH - I never played any fantasy in any edition but I have a pretty big skaven army. I tried to learn the 9th age rules to get a feel for how the game is played but it was not at all approachable from a new player point of view. I scrapped my 9th age ambitions and went to sigmar.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--